Hi everyone, this is my going to be entry to the studless rebuilding contest. I’m too young to remember the classic Technic sets, so I chose one of my oldest and favourite sets, 6774 Alpha Team ATV from 2001. The scale is going to be as close to 2:1 as possible, using the larger track links. I am also going to try and match the colours and shapes of the bricks used for the internal structure.

The originals functions will be replicated, with opening cockpits, hidden lights, winch, and removable ladder/catapult thing. Imitating the cockpits will be tricky, I’ll probably just do an outline with technic connectors due to a lack of trans-dark blue pieces in the right shapes.

Below is a comparison between the original set and the chassis so far.

TC20%20ATV%20comparison%201.jpg

This week I made some more progress on the ATV, building the trailer and starting to add some features and bodywork to the main vehicle. My plan is to replace the black sprockets with double white ones (from 42065), but I’ll need to order those. The current grill is mostly Technic, but it’s 3 studs tall instead of 2 and doesn’t fold down far enough, so it needs some redesign.

TC20%20ATV%20WIP%201.jpg

Below are comparison shots of the trailer and turret catapult. Matching the colours and shapes of the original studded pieces was challenging since Technic pieces usually aren’t designed to stack. The catapult has an elastic to add some spring to it; I first tried a shock absorber but that didn’t fit.

TC20%20ATV%20comparison%203.jpg

Some miscellaneous pieces including the winch and zip line handle.

400x286.jpg

Finally, another comparison shot from the other side.

TC20%20ATV%20comparison%202.jpg

I've been slacking a little recently, but have made some more progress now. The white sprockets came and they look pretty good. Also finished the cockpits, unfortunately they are black skeletons instead of trans-dark blue. Hopefully the rest of the bodywork will be done in time for the contest.

TC20%20ATV%20WIP%203.jpg  TC20%20ATV%20WIP%204.jpg 

Good progress! You have perfectly copied the design of the original model. I am also very pleased that you have chosen a classic system set, because there are very few of them in this competition.

Thank you very much for the positive comments! I still wish I could make the cockpits dark blue. 

On 7/29/2021 at 6:43 PM, MangaNOID said:

Instant buy from me if this was a Technic package on a store shelf. :thumbup:

That's high praise! I doubt it would be a cheap set given the number of parts required for this scale.

Some more work on the sub and cockpit area:

TC20%20ATV%20WIP%205.jpg    TC20%20ATV%20WIP%206.jpg