Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

1 hour ago, EdWebhead said:

Avatar 2 sets came out after the film's premiere, so I guess it's possible we might see DoD sets come out later in the year after the film is out if it follows the same pattern (first wave of sets based on the first film, then a second wave based on the new film).

If they still came out, we would‘ve heard about them by now. After all, we already have information concerning sets scheduled for November!

And I still haven‘t heard a compelling explanation for how a wave of DoD sets can be reconciled with the fact that TLG is absent from the list of licensees and that no retailers have any information about them whatsoever. 

All we have is the Promobricks post from last July, where they assumed that those four numbers exist and guessed those might be for DoD.

The most simple explanation is that they planned only those four sets from the get-go to cash in on nostalgia. All other explanations require a ridiculous amount of mental gymnastics :tongue:

Sure, not releasing anything based on a new release and instead solely focussing on older entries in a franchise is unheard of, but that seems to be what‘s going on here.

I still can’t fathom the point of paying a license fee just to end up releasing three sets. Very little about this theme makes sense.

I know we’re going in circles with this rhetoric, but it certainly highlights how we just want some concrete answers.

Edited by Kaijumeister

2 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

I still can’t fathom the point of paying a license fee just to end up releasing three sets. Very little about this theme makes sense.

We‘ve seen weirder stuff. They got the PotC license back in 2017 just for a D2C set and two BrickHeadz, or the Stranger Things license for one D2C set, a BrickHeadz two-pack, and a keychain :tongue:

8 minutes ago, Kaijumeister said:

I know we’re going in circles with this rhetoric, but it certainly highlights how we just want some concrete answers.

Which we‘re not gonna get. We‘re just stuck in limbo :laugh_hard:

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

We‘ve seen weirder stuff.

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

or the Stranger Things license for one D2C set, a BrickHeadz two-pack, and a keychain

You were so close to perfection

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Dangit! Too late to edit that :tongue:

You were on the verge of greatness!

But honestly, good shout regarding those other themes - I’d completely forgotten about them.

Edited by Kaijumeister

Just to play devil's advocate here, but all the themes you mentioned only had a D2C and some brickheads, all collector-focused sets. Meanwhile, Indiana Jones is getting standard retail products. That may not seem like a significant difference, but I guarantee lego handles their standard retail lines differently than these one off collector focused lines.

7 minutes ago, The_Fiery_Rooster said:

Just to play devil's advocate here, but all the themes you mentioned only had a D2C and some brickheads, all collector-focused sets.

There were other themes that only got a single, small wave. Lightyear, The lncredibles II, and Toy Story 4 come to mind.

Also, didn’t TLG sign a new type of licensing agreement last year in the form of a general Disney contract (including Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc.) instead of having individual ones as they did before? Indy must’ve been part of that too, in which case the “it’s too expensive of a license for just three sets” argument goes right out the window :tongue:

I think it’s fair to say that we just don’t know. While the future of Lego Indiana Jones is unknown, I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s 100% done either. I think we have a fair possibility of getting more, we just don’t know how much. Plus the constant campaigns and stuff on Instagram and other social media hopefully will let them know that fans want more Indy. This works with Star Wars all the time.

Edited by HuntFX

39 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

While the future of Lego Indiana Jones is unknown, I don’t think it’s fair to say it’s 100% done either. I think we have a fair possibility of getting more, we just don’t know how much. 

You mean like in 2024? Incredibly unlikely. Now is the only reasonable time to release sets. Once the movie leaves theaters, interest outside the fandom will likely decline again rather quickly. Or is anybody seriously expecting them to only release 3 sets in 2023, where a new movie gets released, but more in 2024, without any kind of new tie-in media? What kind of sense would that make? Is it opposite day? :tongue: 

While we don't know for certain what's going on, I definitely won't get my hopes up for more sets beyond those three. That kind of disappointment is avoidable :shrug_oh_well:

3 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I meant this year 

I see. Not impossible, but there hasn’t been a single case where they were able to keep an entire wave secret for so long. They don’t even manage to accomplish this for D2C sets these days!

And even if they did, what’s the point of keeping the mere existence of sets a secret from retailers? Codenames didn’t suddenly stop working, after all :tongue:

Maybe there is a counterexample I’m forgetting, in which case, I’ll gladly be corrected :laugh:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There were other themes that only got a single, small wave. Lightyear, The lncredibles II, and Toy Story 4 come to mind.

To keep playing devil's advocate, these were all disney/pixer animated kids' films. Indy is a different type of franchise.

16 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To keep playing devil's advocate, these were all disney/pixer animated kids' films. Indy is a different type of franchise.

True, but them getting the license (which might have been part of the new Disney contract from the get-go) just for three nostalgic sets to accompany the new movie without any further plans is still the least convoluted explanation :tongue: Every other option (more sets in 2024, a secret wave, etc.) requires mental gymnastics that put Olympic medal winners to shame.

Besides, there is precedence for them ignoring a new movie from a franchise they have an active license for. Secrets of Dumbledore was the canary in the coal mine, and almost nodody seemed to care :snicker:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Or is anybody seriously expecting them to only release 3 sets in 2023, where a new movie gets released, but more in 2024, without any kind of new tie-in media? What kind of sense would that make? Is it opposite day

This fool isn't aware next year we're getting a wave dedicated to the 32nd anniversary of Adventures of Young Indiana Jones 🙄

I think it’s just better to keep an open mind. Lego surprises us all the time, and they know we want Indy. I’m still holding out hope. Would be really heartbreaking to just get these 3 sets and nothing else. Nothing is certain. And what’s even more frustrating is that LAN members say that temple of doom is most likely cancelled but still can’t give us that 100% certain answer…. That’s the most frustrating part

Edited by HuntFX

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

This fool isn't aware next year we're getting a wave dedicated to the 32nd anniversary of Adventures of Young Indiana Jones 🙄

Hehe, good one :snicker:

3 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I think it’s just better to keep an open mind. 

Sure! Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling anyone what to think. Just pointing out how unusual a second wave would be, as much as I would love to see one.

On 3/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

It‘s been cancelled. 

How can you be so sure? I mean it is likely yes, but we still don't know if it's cancelled or just delayed. LAN members can be wrong.

3 hours ago, Textorix said:

How can you be so sure? I mean it is likely yes, but we still don't know if it's cancelled or just delayed. LAN members can be wrong.

Jay said the info came straight from TLG, so yeah, it‘s cancelled.

34 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hopefully they will change their mind on that if this wave is gonna be successful.

9 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Hopefully they will change their mind on that if this wave is gonna be successful.

Not sure how that would work. The 2024 range for all themes is being worked on as we speak (most likely some 2025 stuff too already), so I doubt the sales of the 3 Indy sets will have an impact on ... well, anything. And depending on the reasons behind the cancellation of 77014, good sales wouldn't change their minds in the first place.

Btw, have you seen @Ashnflash's video about his ideas how to update the old ToD minifigs?

Too bad the turban piece doesn't exist in black and the Wonder Woman hairpiece is not available in bright light yellow yet, otherwise we could easily kitbash good-looking modernised versions of these minifigs!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Jay knows just as much as all other LAN members 

2 hours ago, HuntFX said:

Jay knows just as much as all other LAN members 

And people like Ashnflash have said their statements were a lot more unclear than "this set is cancelled". I don't think we should count on 77014 releasing, but I don't think it's accurate to say it's definately cancelled.

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And people like Ashnflash have said their statements were a lot more unclear than "this set is cancelled". I don't think we should count on 77014 releasing, but I don't think it's accurate to say it's definately cancelled.

Jay isn't referring to the first, public statement shared by most LAN members, but a second, internal one, which allegedly unambiguously states that the set is cancelled. Feel free to believe him or not, but I don't see why he should lie about this. Nothing to gain here :shrug_oh_well: