Sign in to follow this  
Ross Fisher

[OL - FB] A necropolis for Acropolis

"Are you sure that they even need one of this scale, your eminence?" ventured Gallo. 
"What do you mean?" his master shot back.
"Well, it's just that Acropolis is actually quite a small settlement... It hasn't existed long enough to have that many dead citizens."
"And why should that matter?" the Canon responded. "Every devotee of the Underlord deserves to have his death respected and honoured in style."
"To be quite candid, your eminence, up until this point most of those who have died have been sailors. They have been buried at sea after the custom of Poseidon."
"Ugh," Canon François responded. Monsieur Gallo knew that he was not fond of the other Aplynician Brothers muscling in on Hades' responsibilities. "The value of the Brick Seas is not in its waters; still less in it's vapours. It is in the blessed dirt. We must remind people of that fact. And how better to do so than with a mausoleum of spectacle?"
And, with a shrug, Gallo was forced to concede the point. 

Necropolis on Sea

Unless anyone has any objections, this mausoleum will be licensed as a medium Arts and Culture in Acropolis. 

Great idea for a build @Ross Fisher!

I love the inclusion of the various gray "statues" inside, and the table has some interesting supports :pir-grin:

Little details like the gray stadiums on the outside wall add a lot

What is the black material you have in the background of the photo? Is that garden burlap to keep out weeds?

Edited by evancelt

41 minutes ago, evancelt said:

What is the black material you have in the background of the photo? Is that garden burlap to keep out weeds?

I'm using a small lightbox to shoot these pics. This one, I think: 41bVZoXMrQL._AC_SY580_.jpg

That material is just one of the optional backdrops. I prefer black. 

3 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

I'm using a small lightbox to shoot these pics. This one, I think

Very cool - thanks for sharing. I feel like my ability to stop weird direct light reflections off tiles is hit or miss, so might explore something like this until I can justify a nice camera like in Ayrlego's setup

Edited by evancelt

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

might explore something like this until I can justify a nice camera

I shoot everything on my phone. 

16 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

I shoot everything on my phone. 

Me too! I use an Iphone 12 Mini. Been playing around with this app 'Manual' that lets not-top-of-the-line iPhones shoot pics in RAW digital negative format. Seems pretty cool and I'm able to reduce noise post-photo much better than with straight-to-jpg compression.

My wife sneakily instagrammed my process for that Traffic Jam build. The ring light is mostly diffuse, but still causes some direct light reflections. Put my iPhone in a tripod on the Aurelia attack build, but I'm not sure that turned out any better than my handheld shots.

Edited by evancelt

37 minutes ago, evancelt said:

My wife sneakily instagrammed my process for that Traffic Jam build.

I've tried holding lights while shooting before - for example in this build. Most of the time it's really not worth the hassle for me. Any builds that are too large for the box get a combination of overhead room lighting and ambient daylight. My flat is north-facing, so it's never too strong. Still, I envy the guys who have a decent studio setup. 

Neat build! A necropolis suits the Canon's personality and story. I like how you did the small roofs. Very clean solution to add a Greek/classical touch. The different statues and such are probably the urns or graves of the deceased?

Re: photography; decent lighting changes so much. I finally bought myself a lightbox with built-in LED lighting and the quality of my photos has significantly improved. Now I only need to up my photography skills themselves as well :tongue:. Before, I was very dependent on good weather for proper lighting and never found a good setup, so having dedicated lights now really helps.

24 minutes ago, Khorne said:

The different statues and such are probably the urns or graves of the deceased?

Exactly. I'm trying to differentiate the three gods by their styles of funeral. So Poseidon is all about burial at sea, Hades (being the god of the underworld) would accept burials and cremations, and Zeus would be all about exposures and mummification, I guess. 

Cool MOC. Nicely designed and detailed. And I really like the round pieces you've used for the base. Well done. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Unless anyone has any objections, this mausoleum will be licensed as a medium Arts and Culture in Acropolis. 

My only objection is that it should be licensed as a small property, not a medium, as it is clearly not 32x32. :wink:   But art & culture is the appropriate category.

25 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

My only objection is that it should be licensed as a small property, not a medium

Ah well, it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

Exactly. I'm trying to differentiate the three gods by their styles of funeral. So Poseidon is all about burial at sea, Hades (being the god of the underworld) would accept burials and cremations, and Zeus would be all about exposures and mummification, I guess. 

Love that concept. A cool idea to expand upon! All three options look really interesting, lore and MOC wise.

20 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Love that concept. A cool idea to expand upon! All three options look really interesting, lore and MOC wise.

Agreed!

Neat concept and build. The round base fits something like this perfectly, and the contrast of grey on black is nice.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:56 PM, Khorne said:

On 3/26/2021 at 8:16 PM, evancelt said:

Agreed!

4 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

Neat concept and build. The round base fits something like this perfectly, and the contrast of grey on black is nice.

Thanks guys!