Sign in to follow this  
richthelegodude

Technic sets that can be motorised with the 8720 9V Motor Set?

Is there a list of Technic sets that can be motorised with the 8720 (9V Motor Set) lurking anywhere? If not, I will go about creating one :sweet:.

I am currently on a nostalgia binge based upon my 2nd experience of Technic as a child. I got the 8815 (Speedway Bandit), 8810 (Cafe Racer) and the 8720 (9V Motor Set) for my Birthday in 1991, after getting the 8044 (Universal Pneumatic Set) a year or two earlier. I really remember enjoying the last few pages in the instructions which showed how to motorise the models.

I want to start collecting such sets that I missed out on :thumbup:

I believe that all sets could be motorized. Even the smallest sets.

Right up until the mirco sets came out & the motor & battery box was upgraded 

1 hour ago, Tazmancrash said:

I believe that all sets could be motorized. Even the smallest sets.

Right up until the mirco sets came out & the motor & battery box was upgraded 

It's Lego so yeah, technically all sets can be motorized. But not all came with instructions for motorization with a supplemental set.

Unfortunately I have no idea where you could find a list of such sets. I know that the B-model of 8865 could be motorized, and I have also a vague recollection that B-model of 8824 might have had instructions for motorization too. I believe most A-models didn't have option for motorization unless a motor was included in the set.

There's 8229, which has an interesting tracked forklift B-model that can be motorized with 8720. Or how about 8443 and its reach stacker? They're the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Try Technica - it tells you which sets can be motorized. 8720's successor was released in 1997, so set the index by date and go through the sets before then to see which ones can be motorized with 8720.

It might also help to download some instructions from sets of the era.

Edited by Maaboo35