Sign in to follow this  
paupadros

[MOC] Gone Fishing Kinetic Sculpture

Grandfather and grandson on a mission!

After seeing my previous kinetic sculptures, I was asked to build a new sculpture for one of my cousins. He and his grandfather are avid fishermen, so I thought I would try to recreate one of their adventures in Lego bricks. For the mechanism of this model, I took one of JK Brickworks' MOCs as inspiration (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-16540/JKBrickworks/fisherman-kinetic-sculpture/#details). I found their original design a bit chunky, so I took the (rather simple) mechanism and built this model around it.

Here's a little video of the model in motion:

The colour scheme of this model is something I'm really proud of; especially how the Earth Blue sea and the Red boat come together. The composition was a bit tricky as well. Originally, I was going to have both figures sitting, but, not only was it not feasible without extending the boat to canoe lengths, but the composition felt a bit flat. Having the elder figure standing allowed for the shorter boat and for the white of his trousers to spice up the composition a bit more. The seagull was added to balance out the standing figure and as a counterpoint of the engine on the back. Adding the water plants further accented an otherwise rather dull part of the build.

To make the water not seem heavy, I left the bottom of the build uncovered, although that led to other major issues in making the whole thing stable (I had to add the front support as it kept falling! :pir_tong2:). All in all, this is a very well-rounded build that I'm very proud of! Looking forward to seeing your comments!

Have a nice day!

50708566508_edca344d23_b.jpg

Edited by paupadros

Interesting idea

Thanks for sharing

Edited by Robert8

Very nice!  I love these kinetic sculptures - this would look great next to Pursuit of Flight if it gets turned into a set through BrickLink...

The idea is fantastic!

I see potential for it to be motorized, too.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:50 AM, Robert8 said:

Interesting idea

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Robert!

On 12/19/2020 at 11:05 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Very nice!  I love these kinetic sculptures - this would look great next to Pursuit of Flight if it gets turned into a set through BrickLink...

I'm also very tempted to get Pursuit of Flight if it gets made through the Bricklink programme :wink:

On 12/20/2020 at 2:08 AM, JintaiZ said:

The idea is fantastic!

I see potential for it to be motorized, too.

Definitely! It would detract from the sleek appearance but it could surely work.