CCSG

Narrow gauge motor worm drive prototype

I built a prototype of a narrow gauge motor yesterday. I’m happy how it works so far as only one wheel is powered right now as I only had one worm gear. When I started building this I decided to emulate the drive trains of many model locomotives that I’ve seen which involve a motor with a worm gear 90 degrees to the powered axle. I tried that design initially and the locomotive was way too slow. So this build, I sped up the RPM of the worm gear by adding gears. The plan is to build the battery into another car that is coupled and powered through a universal gear as I’ve seen in other prototypes. These two “cars” will then push the  “locomotive” which is currently a WIP.  

Very nice!

Perhaps you may want to have a look at me soloution:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/79312-narrow-gauge-lego-train-including-points-etc/&tab=comments#comment-1515112

Scrolling a little bit down you find a picture of the engine

Yes, I drew inspiration heavily from your design. I had to work with the Technic parts that I recently acquired secondhand and my own creativity. I've had narrow gauge track laid for probably 2+ years now and this is the first time anything has completed a circuit. I did a lot of testing last night and it continues to work nicely. 

Hey - could you please post some photos of the bottom of your solution? I am trying to figure out what makes the wheels not, well,,, come off from this solution and I'm stuck :/.
What keeps them attached to the chassis?

10457-1360143305.jpg

You’re welcome My Mike D. It does need a little refining but plan on updating when I do. I have to put together a BrickLink order to get some parts before I do that. I haven’t ordered from BrickLink yet and feel it will take a little while as I generally always like to make sure I have everything in my basket before I checkout to save on shipping. I’ve never really built anything with Technic parts before so kind of feel I have no idea what I need. Hope the pictures help your build and that you will share some pictures. 

Wow! I really like the design of the driveshaft, it's interesting that it uses a worm drive. I would expect a worm drive to go pretty slowly but since you geared up the motor it looks to go at a pretty decent clip. I would definitely tinker with one of these, but alas, I don't have any narrow-gauge tracks. I do own 12v track but the radius of the curves isn't the same.

7 minutes ago, Reker1000000 said:

I do own 12v track but the radius of the curves isn't the same.

You can use them ;-)

Look here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/79312-narrow-gauge-lego-train-including-points-etc/&tab=comments#comment-1515112