Sign in to follow this  
CabbageFace

Mallard Steam Train - Critic and Support

Hello guys and girls, 

I've created a Steam Train based on the Mallard, i'm after some tips to improve, I need to work on the front and maybe take down to 6 studs wide, anything else?  I'd love to see this made as a display and functioning train. 

Train Link

Not an expert in anything british, but from what I can see on Google and the blueprints I find there, I'd say the proportions are a tad bit off. Try looking those up, and do not hesitate to try to recreate what other builders have done - the Mallard has been built before from basically every level of builder in different scales.

One thing that definitely catches my eye are the wheels - not only is it missing the rods on the larger wheels, but every single wheel is flanged. I doubt that it could pass any curve no matter the radius, maybe grands or 104 but nothing smaller, at least the middle ones of the 3 big axles should be without flanges.

Mallards are a mess to build in Lego. If you want to get really accurate, you have to be aware of the strangely sloped front, the curves side sheeting, etc. I would consider it a master-level prototype. Perhaps hone your skills with something a bit simpler (and smaller) to start with before tackling something this ambitious?

877424b2e444ed8ae0a7e79f69d6840c.jpg

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

On 9/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Mallards are a mess to build in Lego.

Mallard has been done well, but I think most of the builds I've seen have resorted to things like modifying parts, third-party parts, and even gluing bits where they have no right to stick. I think that the A4 class is probably one of the worst possible things to have to reproduce in a block-based medium. But that, I think, is part of the challenge and part of the fun.

44 minutes ago, rday1982 said:

Mallard has been done well, but I think most of the builds I've seen have resorted to things like modifying parts, third-party parts, and even gluing bits where they have no right to stick. I think that the A4 class is probably one of the worst possible things to have to reproduce in a block-based medium. But that, I think, is part of the challenge and part of the fun.

This is worse:

81weAby.jpg

As is this:

5D3_0250-Edit.jpg

I know they look simpler than the Mallard, but there's really no way to accomplish that terrible shovel shape in a satisfactory way using Lego. Either you favor the downward slope at the expense of the rounding, or you wind up with a flat front (or a stepped approach, which, IMO, robs the loco of all its inherent sleekness) that nails the curve, but has no forward thrust as it goes downward. I've messed with multiple approaches over and over again with those two locomotives, and am still no nearer to a happy solution (at least happy for me). 

J3xpjd0.png

The Mallard is probably the most difficult British design, but it pales in comparison to some of the NA streamliners. 

And yes, I'll be the first to admit that I DO fail at builds, lest anyone think everything I try is at least a modest success :P. 

c2589925add5cebf5dccfc20cf45e213.gif

Anyway, apologies to the OP for the slight derail.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire

9 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

This is worse:

Okay. You win.

9 minutes ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

The Mallard is probably the most difficult British design, but it pales in comparison to some of the NA streamliners.  

Streamlined shapes in Lego are their own special hell. But then again, so are things like this:

1GZzq8k.png?1

I would *love* to see this done in Lego. But I would live in awe and fear of the person able to actually *do* it. :pir-tongue:

Edited by rday1982

4 hours ago, rday1982 said:

Okay. You win.

Streamlined shapes in Lego are their own special hell. But then again, so are things like this:

1GZzq8k.png?1

I would *love* to see this done in Lego. But I would live in awe and fear of the person able to actually *do* it. :pir-tongue:

I bet it wouldn't be that bad. For one thing, you could use the second wheelset to hide the power, thereby allowing you to do a smaller boiler.

Now, if you're talking about making it run as intended... like... with the upper wheels powering the lower ones. Yeah... that would be horrific.

22 hours ago, SteamSewnEmpire said:

Now, if you're talking about making it run as intended... like... with the upper wheels powering the lower ones. Yeah... that would be horrific.

That was the intended flavour of hell to put the would-be builder through, yes.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, rday1982 said:

I believe a saw this somewhere on Facebook.  I can't seem to find it but I believe it was on Lego rail or Amazing lego train World Wide groups. 

On 9/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I know they look simpler than the Mallard, but there's really no way to accomplish that terrible shovel shape in a satisfactory way using Lego. Either you favor the downward slope at the expense of the rounding, or you wind up with a flat front (or a stepped approach, which, IMO, robs the loco of all its inherent sleekness) that nails the curve, but has no forward thrust as it goes downward. I've messed with multiple approaches over and over again with those two locomotives, and am still no nearer to a happy solution (at least happy for me). 

I know these are hard but if you build them in the real world you may be able to use a little friend called Dr. unPUREIST(aka the amazing work of Karle Mahler).  Please note the hoods on the deisals and the cab roof of the PA Unit(it think that is the one on the far right), they are made from built-up styrene.  His work is amazing as he has taken the model maker approach rather than lego, so he uses styrene, paper, wire, etc. To make his models more realistic.  if you do some hunting on FB you may find how he made the cabs.  This could solve the shovel nose problem as it solved the PA unit problem. 

EDIT:  I found how he did it on the Gas Turbine(center left) https://www.facebook.com/karle.mahler.3?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARBZEmtmxaB_tN_No7-VYJnCiMT3nwPVD5YSPZG0LUFiUPDVe2j9WohZe1wu4IlL_EbOM49ZQMiEL0DY&hc_ref=ARQOaoqgHFZ-vNnkZ_oCNjYnCcg8tKnKzO2lMAh4-QClHaBTerTOk5UmBDjyqLobgpY&fref=nf.       The link is to his Facebook page, Look for the yellow gas turbine and it is in the comments. 

Edited by Coal Fired Bricks

54 minutes ago, Coal Fired Bricks said:

I believe a saw this somewhere on Facebook.  I can't seem to find it but I believe it was on Lego rail or Amazing lego train World Wide groups. 

I know these are hard but if you build them in the real world you may be able to use a little friend called Dr. unPUREIST(aka the amazing work of Karle Mahler).  Please note the hoods on the deisals and the cab roof of the PA Unit(it think that is the one on the far right), they are made from built-up styrene.  His work is amazing as he has taken the model maker approach rather than lego, so he uses styrene, paper, wire, etc. To make his models more realistic.  if you do some hunting on FB you may find how he made the cabs.  This could solve the shovel nose problem as it solved the PA unit problem. 

EDIT:  I found how he did it on the Gas Turbine(center left) https://www.facebook.com/karle.mahler.3?__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARBZEmtmxaB_tN_No7-VYJnCiMT3nwPVD5YSPZG0LUFiUPDVe2j9WohZe1wu4IlL_EbOM49ZQMiEL0DY&hc_ref=ARQOaoqgHFZ-vNnkZ_oCNjYnCcg8tKnKzO2lMAh4-QClHaBTerTOk5UmBDjyqLobgpY&fref=nf.       The link is to his Facebook page, Look for the yellow gas turbine and it is in the comments. 

Interesting stuff!