TGBDZ

[MOC] GHOST - VCX-100 light freighter (INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE ON BRICKVAULT)

3 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

The roof is sitting on the canopy piece! 

Simply take of the roof, open up the canopy, put the roof in place and only then close the canopy piece. Easy as that! 

Check the previous photos or renders of the ship and You will see that the canopy piece is at the same height as the red stripe. 

Hope this helps! 

Brilliant!  That is much better. Never occurred to me about opening the canopy and trying it. Thank you. I do love the MOC. Great build. 

Woah this build looks great and a lot of fun! Great job with playability.  The functionality in those phantom are very cool

Hi, 

this MOC looks really nice!  the brickvault minifig scale model (though I only build minifig scale models) is just too large for my budget, space and relationship status :D therefore your model @TGBDZseems like the perfect compromise :)  Have a question though: is there any way to distinguish or figure out the pieces that can be of any color (the non visible ones), except for the obvious way of going step by step through the instructions? Maybe a hint "steps 1-300 are interior only" would already be helpful. I want to sort through my stash and then order the remaining parts. Also, the guys that already built it, any other tips on reducing the costs? @TGBDZ

Edited by neroart
typo

On 5/16/2021 at 5:33 PM, neroart said:

Hi, 

this MOC looks really nice!  the brickvault minifig scale model (though I only build minifig scale models) is just too large for my budget, space and relationship status :D therefore your model @TGBDZseems like the perfect compromise :)  Have a question though: is there any way to distinguish or figure out the pieces that can be of any color (the non visible ones), except for the obvious way of going step by step through the instructions? Maybe a hint "steps 1-300 are interior only" would already be helpful. I want to sort through my stash and then order the remaining parts. Also, the guys that already built it, any other tips on reducing the costs? @TGBDZ

Oh.. it's a tricky question. In reality there is not that many parts that are not visible while making this.. a lot of inner frame that supports the ship outer walls double as interrior details, therfore they are mostly white and LBG. I think that Your "Obvious" way of going through instructions is the easiest way. :) 

24 minutes ago, TGBDZ said:

Oh.. it's a tricky question. In reality there is not that many parts that are not visible while making this.. a lot of inner frame that supports the ship outer walls double as interrior details, therfore they are mostly white and LBG. I think that Your "Obvious" way of going through instructions is the easiest way. :) 

Hey, thank you for getting back. Yes, indeed I did go through them and realized exactly what you just said, most of the parts are visible, therefore I gave up being picky and just went according to the inventory list. I might end up with about 50% of the parts from my own collection and 50% ordering. looking forward to building this model, it'll take some time though still have several others waiting to be build :) 

I didn't find a whole lot of large cost pieces when I bought what I needed so not sure you are going to find much that can be done.  I made a couple color substitutions more to use what I had already if it wasn't going to be shown on the outside.  

One very small issue I did run into was part 36841 bracket 1 x 1 was supposed to use I think 4 qty that never got connected to anything and didn't seem to be needed.  Not sure if I missed something but I ended up taking them off b/c the ones I had kept getting knocked off.  So you could save the 4 parts there but those are very low cost at a $.01/each.  

As TGBDZ said, just going through the parts list and instructions to see what you could substitute is a good way, but not entirely necessary just b/c the low cost parts that are primarily used where possible.  This ship looks so good in person.  

image.png.13001484f438a6dd2772d37f67941bf8.png

Finally built it! It was a fun build and is really nice to look at. Displayed next to the minifig models a bit small(ish) though, at least in the regular "parking" position. Anybody here who had a good idea about displaying it standing a lot more angled?! I mean, in a diving manner, so that the top of the ship is more forward facing? Guess it is not that easy, as it is quite a heavy model. 

Thanks TGBDZ, that was fun!

Edited by neroart

No, but I would be interested to know if you figure out a way to display it like that.  I honestly hadn’t even thought about trying to find a way to do that. I might have to mess around with that if I can get some parts to play around with it. Good idea. 

On 3/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, neroart said:

Finally built it! It was a fun build and is really nice to look at. Displayed next to the minifig models a bit small(ish) though, at least in the regular "parking" position. Anybody here who had a good idea about displaying it standing a lot more angled?! I mean, in a diving manner, so that the top of the ship is more forward facing? Guess it is not that easy, as it is quite a heavy model. 

Thanks TGBDZ, that was fun!

Hmm, I think a stand would be possible. But I think than it should be angled sideways just like the Millenium falcon stands, not forward. 

Happy You enjoyed the model! 

On 3/16/2022 at 8:58 PM, Bbafett said:

No, but I would be interested to know if you figure out a way to display it like that.  I honestly hadn’t even thought about trying to find a way to do that. I might have to mess around with that if I can get some parts to play around with it. Good idea. 

Keep me posted If You make a stand, want to see your solution. :classic:

Just completed the build and it is fabulous. I have built some fragile models that, despite looking great, are constantly trying to burst apart - this one is rock solid. While termed playscale it is still a beast of a model and almost 7.5lbs. While smaller than the enormous Brickvault minifig scale, it has a much more finished interior. Having built this one I am very glad i made the choice and feel no need to step up to the larger model. The one issue that I have seen that seems to crop up in most pics and also in the otherwise excellent review by Core Flux on Youtube, is the front panel being held off, both holding up the front but also leaving a gap in front of the turret and along the sides. It does help to open the canopy, drop in the panel and then close the canopy but a very slight adjustment to the model also really helped me. On the turret section there is a protruding 2x1 slope and underneath a bracket with a 2x1 plate topped with a 2x1 tile. I found that this held the whole front section from fully engaging with the space left for itunder the turret. When I removed the 2x1 plate so that the tile sat directly on the bracket everything worked perfectly. Additionally, this has the benefit of the slope potruding beyond the tile which means the slope now acts as a retaining lug, sitting over the front panel.

Worth noting that the despite the Ghost design being rear heavy, when on its own the model sits very happliy on its feet. Once you attach the Phantom II though it takes it to just under tipping point. When displaying with the Phantom docked I put a little support under the tail assembly to hold it.

Cost wise this worked out well, without any need to alter part list. Cost was £420 which works out at almost spot on 10 pence a brick. could have made it a little bit lower but had to break orders into manageble chucks so paid a little more on delivery costs. Quite often with instructions, I find the problem is less colour and more the use of long discontinued bricks that have way cheaper and more available and indistinguishable iterations, esp true of brackets, technic pins and clips. There were none of these problems with Ghost list.

Edited by monkypaws
my dyslexic errors in grammer

hey @TGBDZ , i just received my last parts delivery for this Ghost and will start the build soon.  picked up the instructions at Brick Vault a few months ago.  Any changes since then?  Thanks!!

All the reviews for this ship are positive, so I commend you for your work and look forward to the build.  

On 10/22/2022 at 11:08 PM, monkypaws said:

Just completed the build and it is fabulous. I have built some fragile models that, despite looking great, are constantly trying to burst apart - this one is rock solid. While termed playscale it is still a beast of a model and almost 7.5lbs. While smaller than the enormous Brickvault minifig scale, it has a much more finished interior. Having built this one I am very glad i made the choice and feel no need to step up to the larger model. The one issue that I have seen that seems to crop up in most pics and also in the otherwise excellent review by Core Flux on Youtube, is the front panel being held off, both holding up the front but also leaving a gap in front of the turret and along the sides. It does help to open the canopy, drop in the panel and then close the canopy but a very slight adjustment to the model also really helped me. On the turret section there is a protruding 2x1 slope and underneath a bracket with a 2x1 plate topped with a 2x1 tile. I found that this held the whole front section from fully engaging with the space left for itunder the turret. When I removed the 2x1 plate so that the tile sat directly on the bracket everything worked perfectly. Additionally, this has the benefit of the slope potruding beyond the tile which means the slope now acts as a retaining lug, sitting over the front panel.

Worth noting that the despite the Ghost design being rear heavy, when on its own the model sits very happliy on its feet. Once you attach the Phantom II though it takes it to just under tipping point. When displaying with the Phantom docked I put a little support under the tail assembly to hold it.

Cost wise this worked out well, without any need to alter part list. Cost was £420 which works out at almost spot on 10 pence a brick. could have made it a little bit lower but had to break orders into manageble chucks so paid a little more on delivery costs. Quite often with instructions, I find the problem is less colour and more the use of long discontinued bricks that have way cheaper and more available and indistinguishable iterations, esp true of brackets, technic pins and clips. There were none of these problems with Ghost list.

Happy that You have enjoyed the model! 

Ah, yes, the front panel fitting issue is present in almost every Ghost model post I have seen and usually takes a bit of practice and fiddling to put it correctly. As of writing this the V2 of the model is available and I have added limiters to the canopy piece as well as the bottom part of the roof has shorter plates to reduce the friction between sides, and also Your mentioned 1x2 plate has been removed as well. Combination of these 3 things should help to put the roof piece easier. 

Also the landing gear has been upgraded to ensure no more tipping when the Phantom II is docked. 

On 11/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, boochydog said:

hey @TGBDZ , i just received my last parts delivery for this Ghost and will start the build soon.  picked up the instructions at Brick Vault a few months ago.  Any changes since then?  Thanks!!

All the reviews for this ship are positive, so I commend you for your work and look forward to the build.  

New update is out, check the main page of this thread. 

I would be interested in getting the updated instructions and parts list especially if it provides some stability updates to not tipping towards the back when the shuttles are attached. Currently I just have the shuttles beside the ship on a shelf. 

Is there a separate parts list that shows all the needed additional pieces for the changes?  

How would I go about getting the files?  Thx

4 hours ago, Bbafett said:

I would be interested in getting the updated instructions and parts list especially if it provides some stability updates to not tipping towards the back when the shuttles are attached. Currently I just have the shuttles beside the ship on a shelf. 

Is there a separate parts list that shows all the needed additional pieces for the changes?  

How would I go about getting the files?  Thx

I also bought the originals and I received an email linking to the updated version. Check your email/spam folder. 

I checked my email junk and didn’t see anything. I ordered it in October 2020. @TGBDZ  I did the order through brickvault but came in as Dave’s Customs. I will message you the order number if it will help. 

FYI. I got the updated files and will be seeing about ordering what I need to update the model in next couple months probably. Curious to see how much more stable it is on the tipping to the backend with the phantoms docked. I couldn’t tell much of a build difference in the instructions when I looked at them. 

1 hour ago, Bbafett said:

FYI. I got the updated files and will be seeing about ordering what I need to update the model in next couple months probably. Curious to see how much more stable it is on the tipping to the backend with the phantoms docked. I couldn’t tell much of a build difference in the instructions when I looked at them. 

Great to hear that! 

It's not a complete Ghost model overhaul, just several small improvments major ones being the additional pieces to landing gear and the connection points of  the engines. The rest is mostly cosmetic. Biggest changes are to the Phantom models.