eldomtom2

Best non-Lego source for Lego exclusive sets?

I would like to purchase the new Lego-exclusive Crocodile, however I live in Jersey and Lego does not ship to here. Most other places do however, so where is the best place to buy it from when it releases?

25 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

I would like to purchase the new Lego-exclusive Crocodile, however I live in Jersey and Lego does not ship to here. Most other places do however, so where is the best place to buy it from when it releases?

Jersey as in, the British Channel Island of Jersey?

If so, then John Lewis normally have a deal with TLG to sell 'exclusive' sets, although they have yet to do so with 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay; but I'm unsure whether that's to do with this set or the current economic and distribution climate.

Edited by leafan

I think you can probably buy these sets from BrickLink. That's a place full of sellers who sell all sorts of Lego parts individually and these sellers sell to different places depending on where they live. I recall seeing one seller who sells a bunch of official (seemingly) Nesquik vintage bunny minifigures, and another one selling a promotional Lego set. As you can see here there is only one store in Jersey, but that doesn't really matter, because the list tells where that seller is, not what places he sells at. There are quite a few sellers in the UK on BrickLink.

But I've never purchased at Bricklink, I warn you to be aware of scammers. If the seller's feedback is mostly bad or suspicious, then don't buy from him. I don't know if it's the "best" place to get the set.

Edited by mindstormsboi

1 minute ago, eldomtom2 said:

Is Bricklink good for buying new sets when they come out?

It depends on the set and how sought-after it is. With the supply crisis that TLG has, it may not be the best source (and will be very expensive!). However, it depends on the set.

What set(s) are you after?

Just now, leafan said:

It depends on the set and how sought-after it is. With the supply crisis that TLG has, it may not be the best source (and will be very expensive!). However, it depends on the set.

What set(s) are you after?

He's after the Lego-exclusive Crocodile, he already said that.

Edited by mindstormsboi

1 minute ago, mindstormsboi said:

He's after the Lego-exclusive Crocodile, he already said that.

Oh yes I missed that. Well in that case I can guarantee that it's not going to be economical to get it from Bricklink.

That said; maybe you're rich, so worth a try.

Just now, leafan said:

I'm not rich, actually. Whenever I see a new article on Bricklink of a user pridefully showing off his Lego collection it makes me jealous and I think that he's the rich one. It makes me very jealous, so one of the ways I try to get more Legos is by buying those sets from clone-brands like Lepin. To me all Legos are the same no matter which company they've come from, unless there is a significant difference in quality.

1 hour ago, leafan said:

Oh yes I missed that. Well in that case I can guarantee that it's not going to be economical to get it from Bricklink.

What precisely is meant by "not economical"? How much of an increase in price are we talking about here?

25 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

What precisely is meant by "not economical"? How much of an increase in price are we talking about here?

I can't say; it's not released yet. I just know it'll be expensive to get through Bricklink and shipped to Jersey.

If you live near Britain, you could also try buying the set from Amazon UK, if you can find it for a good price there.

Edited by Lego David

8 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

If it gives you any indication, there are already a few up on eBay for $200 (MSRP of 10277 from Lego is $99).   I would bet that Bricklink prices won't be quite that high, but a 50-100% premium is probably what you'll find as long as there remain supply shortages.

BL fees are 3% and paypal fees will be about 4-5%. So the seller will need to add on about 10% to break even. And they still have to do the work and take a risk, so expect at least another 20% to make it worthwhile. And that is when there aren't shortages. Plus shipping a large set is expensive.

It would be better to make friends with someone in the UK and get them to ship it to you at cost.

Remember they are likely to be limited to 1 or 2 per person so if someone passes one on, it may mean they cannot get one for their own use.

Does Amazon ship to you? They usually have the exclusive sets (at least in the US). I'd imagine a large retailer would likely have better deals than Bricklink unless you can find someone willing to ship to you at cost. 

46 minutes ago, mdtvandy said:

Does Amazon ship to you? They usually have the exclusive sets (at least in the US). I'd imagine a large retailer would likely have better deals than Bricklink unless you can find someone willing to ship to you at cost. 

Usually Amazon overprices these lego sets, for example the first service station (7993) costs like a whopping $280 dollars on amazon, but often such sets like this are not much of a big deal for BL members and they would make the set very cheap. At the time of writing one seller is selling the 7993 set for less than five dollars, I'd certainly take that offer compared to 280 dollars.

Amazon does not ship to Ukraine.

Edited by mindstormsboi

23 hours ago, mindstormsboi said:

Usually Amazon overprices these lego sets, for example the first service station (7993) costs like a whopping $280 dollars on amazon,

Amazon is not overpricing it, as Amazon is not selling it. Those high prices are from market place resellers fishing for idiots.

23 hours ago, mindstormsboi said:

At the time of writing one seller is selling the 7993 set for less than five dollars

No they aren't, they are selling only part of the set for under five dollars, it is just the motorbike. It is an INCOMPLETE set.