Sign in to follow this  
Samolot

[MOC] 6x6 Amphibious Vehicle Zil 4906

Ził 4906 Blue Bird

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Since the Soviet Union began intensive flights into orbit using Soyuz-type ships, there has been a need to develop a special system for recovering landers. Capsules with astronauts often fell in hard to reach areas of the Soviets. To this end, the amphibious PEU-1 was developed in the 1960s into a special vehicle, but it had many shortcomings, and the need for a more perfect design soon emerged.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

In the early 70s, the construction of a suitable machine began in the Moscow Zil plant (factory of Lichachiv), thus Zil 4906 was created.

The new vehicle was intended to function as part of the Blue Bird PEK 409 system, which included two amphibious vehicles, one equipped with a crane to take the lander and the other with a cabin for transporting astronauts. The idea was that the vehicles should not be too big and they could be transported by air to the vicinity of the action.

640x360.jpg

The vehicles were built on a lightweight aluminum frame and the fuselage was made of fiberglass, a standard 150 HP v8 engine with Zil 130 was used
 for the drive. The whole was made in a three-axle system, the first and third of which were steered and the drive was transferred to all 6 wheels. 
The suspension was independent with a small stroke based on torsion bars. 
In addition, at the rear there were two propellers and rudders providing water-based propulsion. The drive train was very interesting. 
Behind the engine was a 5-speed gearbox, then a special gearbox that transferred power to the shafts located on the sides of the
 fuselage driving individual wheels and the propeller shaft.

640x360.jpg

When building my model, I set myself the goal of not only looking and working similar to the original but above all mapping this complicated drive and suspension system. That is why the drive from two Control plus XL engines placed under the V-8 is transferred to the gearbox which drives two shafts on the sides of the hull. These shafts drive all wheels, suspension is independent on torsion bars. The model is equipped with a remote-controlled differential lock.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

So in difficult terrain, you can fasten the drive of the right and left side of the vehicle. An additional shaft drives the propellers. The steering system moves the first and third axles and rudders behind the bolts. The amphibia is equipped with a remotely started compressor with two pumps and a pressure tank for moving four actuators that raise and extend the crane's arms. The crane roller can also be operated remotely. Pneumatics and outriggers are manually operated.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

The whole model has a chassis and body that can be easily separated by pulling out the safety axles, pneumatic hose and plug with powered up cubes at the back

In total, it has 6 engines

2x C + XL for drive

1x C + L control

1x C + L differential lock

1x C + L Compressor

1x WEDO Medium crane winder

it is powered by one C + hub located at the front and One Powered UP at the rear of the vehicle

The model weighs about 3 Kg and is 72 cm long, it is on a scale of 1: 12.5 and is quite nicely planned with one exception. Due to the size of the technic panels, I had to slightly increase the wheelbase from 18.5 cm to 19.5 cm, but fortunately, this compromise did not damage the proportions of the model. As for the white strip between navy blue and blue, it appeared at different heights in the original vehicles, so I accepted it.

I hope you like it.

gallery

https://bricksafe.com/pages/samolot/zil-4906

Edited by Samolot