Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

Just now, Accio Lego said:

I wish they hadn’t cut out the explanation of James being a stag animagus or Remus and Tonks entire relationship from the movies. It feels like the James/Lily and Remus/Tonks ships don’t get nearly enough love in the fandom because there’s a whole portion of the fan base who have no idea about the symbolism or depth of feelings invoked in the original text. 

So incredibly true, there’s just such a depth to the relationships in the books. In the movies they were like wait, Lupin and Tonks are a thing? And then suddenly wait, since when do they have a kid? Lol kind of a mess

14 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

The house elves plot line was necessary to get them involved in the Battle of Hogwarts. 

Which didn't really accomplish anything. I doubt the good guys would have lost if the house-elves didn't get involved :tongue: Some streamlining was necessary for the films, even at the cost of some scenes/subplots book readers may hold dear. Unless you wanted each of them to be a two-parter, that is... And stuffing a story with subplots just for the sake of it isn't necessary IMO. ...looking at you, CoG. Stay in your corner and think about what you did :head_back:

58 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I doubt it will ever get made, but if it did... I imagine it could be done along the same lines as the D2C Tower of Orthanc. I agree with you - I bet there would be some really clever building techniques involved to get the shape of the hollow triangular tower just right. And look at all the amazing minifigs it could include (along with a swarm of Dementors):

Azkaban is visually striking, but its context alone would make it very tricky to turn that one into a set. I mean it's a high-security prison filled with the worst scum in the HP universe. Imagine the description of the play function: "Pull the switch to knock out the wall and help the convicted murderers and torturers escape and wreak havoc" :laugh_hard:

Remus/Tonks is my favourite relationship from the books and Remus is my favourite character. I swear in the movies you don't even know it was James and his friends who made the map. One of the things thats great about the books is seeing where characters go even when they aren't central to the plot. In the movies it feels like Lockhart just ceases to exist after CoS for example.

4 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

So incredibly true, there’s just such a depth to the relationships in the books. In the movies they were like wait, Lupin and Tonks are a thing? And then suddenly wait, since when do they have a kid? Lol kind of a mess

I’ve always thought this scene: 

Tonks: By the way, wait til you hear the news: Remus and I—

Mad-Eye: //barges in// Oh ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT WE’LL HAVE TIME FOR A COZY CATCH-UP LATER

Was so emblematic of how the movies treat Remus and Tonks—just as it’s about to develop further, the movie’s plot dictates there’s no time 

1 minute ago, Zepthire said:

I swear in the movies you don't even know it was James and his friends who made the map

Both Sirius and Peter are referred to as “Padfoot” and “Wormtail” in the film, so if you can’t figure out that “Prongs” is James “Stag Patronus” Potter and “Moony” is Remus “the Werewolf” Lupin then that’s more on you than the films ?, I don’t think that needed explaining

i do however think the films would’ve been better (with the same cast) as a TV series (Thrones-style) as opposed to films because then they could’ve fitted everything important in (SPEW/house elves, Dobby in GoF, Crouch jr, Riddle’s past etc)

Edited by TheRandomBlocker

Just now, TheRandomBlocker said:

Both Sirius and Peter are referred to as “Padfoot” and “Wormtail” in the film, so if you can’t figure out that “Prongs” is James “Stag Patronus” Potter and “Moony” is Remus “the Werewolf” Lupin then that’s more on you than the films ?, I don’t think that needed explaining

Thats fair xD I haven't watched the movies for about 4 years now so lets just say I forgot. I've had that thought about them being a TV show before and the same with the LotR movies. I think in general books do make better TV shows than movies but in 1999 I doubt a TV show would have had the budget to make it as good as the movies so swings and roundabouts I guess.

2 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Which didn't really accomplish anything. I doubt the good guys would have lost if the house-elves didn't get involved :tongue: 

But it wasn't just the house-elves they cut from the Battle of Hogwarts. They cut Kreacher and the house-elves, the Hogsmeade residents, Grawp, Buckbeak/Witherwings, Thestrals, ghosts, portrets (yes you read that right) and centaurs. They also got the Acromantula wrong as they were impartial and attacked both sides. 

They did remove some stuff from Voldemorts army like the werewolves but I don't find a victory for the good guys all that believable in the movie canon, at least not with how much of that army was cut as opposed to the little amount of cuts made in Voldy's army. Suddenly that alternate reality from Cursed Child doesn't sound all that unbelievable anymore..... 

3 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I've had that thought about them being a TV show before and the same with the LotR movies.

I’m 100% the same, I would’ve loved the LotR films to be a TV series with the same cast could’ve then seen the Scouring of the Shire

4 minutes ago, Zepthire said:

I think in general books do make better TV shows than movies but in 1999 I doubt a TV show would have had the budget to make it as good as the movies 

Agreed, the only book series I can think of back then that was a good TV series was Sharpe, and that had a very select audience, I think nowadays HP would kill it as a TV show, but back then definitely not, and they wouldn’t have been able to afford all the brilliant actors in the films imo, like I doubt very much Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon or Robbie Coltrane would have wanted to sign up to a show like that not knowing if it would be successful, unlike Thrones where most of the cast weren’t huge actors, those are all big actors who have been in films alongside their roles in HP

Just now, TheRandomBlocker said:

Agreed, the only book series I can think of back then that was a good TV series was Sharpe, and that had a very select audience, I think nowadays HP would kill it as a TV show, but back then definitely not, and they wouldn’t have been able to afford all the brilliant actors in the films imo, like I doubt very much Ralph Fiennes, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon or Robbie Coltrane would have wanted to sign up to a show like that not knowing if it would be successful, unlike Thrones where most of the cast weren’t huge actors, those are all big actors who have been in films alongside their roles in HP

Totally unrelated but Bryan Seeker on YouTube did a ''Recasting Harry Potter for today'' series not too long ago. He basically gave his toughts on who should play which character if Harry Potter were to be remade today as a television series. He made an episode per book, here's a link to the first video: 

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Totally unrelated but Bryan Seeker on YouTube did a ''Recasting Harry Potter for today'' series not too long ago. 

Not totally unrelated at all, links in to what I was saying about nowadays HP would work as a TV show ?

also, I’ve watched the videos and I actually don’t disagree with all of them, but most of them I just couldn’t see being anyone else (like Snape is just Alan Rickman to me, same reason I hope that god-awful Cursed Child trash is never made into a film because no one else can be Snape in a HP film)

3 minutes ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

same reason I hope that god-awful Cursed Child trash is never made into a film because no one else can be Snape in a HP film)

While Alan Rickman is indeed irreplaceable I'd say the biggest and best argument against a Cursed Child movie is the truly awfull story :tongue:

While Alan Rickman is indeed irreplaceable I'd say the biggest and best argument against a Cursed Child movie is the truly awfull story :tongue:

That too ??, I read a bit of the book (script/screenplay/whatever you wanna call it) and it was awful, so glad I didn’t pay to see it on Stage when I was in London ??

28 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I think that most of us would rather like to get a Harry Potter reboot (but as a series) rather than continuation of original movies in form of Cursed Child. 

That play had so much more potential...

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Azkaban is visually striking, but its context alone would make it very tricky to turn that one into a set. I mean it's a high-security prison filled with the worst scum in the HP universe. Imagine the description of the play function: "Pull the switch to knock out the wall and help the convicted murderers and torturers escape and wreak havoc" :laugh_hard:

I’m just going to leave this review of the LEGO Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout riiiight here :wink:

2 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I’m just going to leave this review of the LEGO Batman Arkham Asylum Breakout riiiight here :wink:

I mean, at least Batman and Co. are there to combat the villains in that set, with an Azkaban set...I don’t think the location offers a scenario like that (good guys vs. bad guys) at any point in the series

4 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I was going to say something about Arkham Asylum being more kid-friendly than Azkaban but then I remembered it's inmates have done some really weird and disturbing stuff over the last few decades :laugh_hard:

Just now, Holden Brickfield said:

I mean, at least Batman and Co. are there to combat the villains in that set, with an Azkaban set...I don’t think the location offers a scenario like that (good guys vs. bad guys) at any point in the series

Good point.

I was going to say something about Arkham Asylum being more kid-friendly than Azkaban but then I remembered it's inmates have done some really weird and disturbing stuff over the last few decades :laugh_hard:

:laugh_hard: Also very true!

3 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Does anyone else keep checking IG like anything is going to happen today? I know it won’t but somehow I keep ending up there

I do. Almost every morning before I read this thread, especially if there’s a lot more pages than the previous days. 

32 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I do. Almost every morning before I read this thread, especially if there’s a lot more pages than the previous days. 

My routine is to check IG first and then here every time because I would rather see a leak or a reveal and then come here to discuss it rather than come here first, be told there’s a leak, and then have to go find it (not that it’s hard to find). But the joy of seeing it when I’m not expecting it is unrivaled 

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think that most of us would rather like to get a Harry Potter reboot (but as a series) rather than continuation of original movies in form of Cursed Child. 

That play had so much more potential...

I've no interest in any remake of the films, in any format.  I'm rather attached to the characters as they appear in the existing films. The films themselves are deeply flawed, but I think the casting was rather inspired. That said, if they did decide to film a post 'Battle of Hogwarts' story, I'd hope for an original story, and certainly not the Cursed Child.

I'm fine with never seeing HP on any screen ever again though. I'm enjoying the FB films as they come. That's enough of the 'Wizarding World' on screen, imho.

7 minutes ago, klinton said:

I've no interest in any remake of the films, in any format.  I'm rather attached to the characters as they appear in the existing films. The films themselves are deeply flawed, but I think the casting was rather inspired. That said, if they did decide to film a post 'Battle of Hogwarts' story, I'd hope for an original story, and certainly not the Cursed Child.

I'm fine with never seeing HP on any screen ever again though. I'm enjoying the FB films as they come. That's enough of the 'Wizarding World' on screen, imho.

I agree ?. But I’ve heard rumors that we won’t get Fantastic Beasts 3 next year and that the future of the entire FB franchise is in jeopardy. 

https://ew.com/movies/fantastic-beasts-franchise-future-jk-rowling/

If the movie is delayed another year, I wonder what that will mean for next year’s LEGO sets. Hopefully it translates to a few extra spots available for some big “fantastic beasts” sets from the original films. 

I’m hoping for a Troll in the Dungeon set that connects anywhere on the interior of the castle like the Room of Requirement does. Same for a Fluffy set. And obviously we still need a proper set with the ultimate fantastic beast from the original films - the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets.

2 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I agree ?. But I’ve heard rumors that we won’t get Fantastic Beasts 3 next year and that the future of the entire FB franchise is in jeopardy. 

If the movie is delayed another year, I wonder what that will mean for next year’s LEGO sets. Hopefully it translates to a few extra spots available for some big “fantastic beasts” sets from the original films. 

I’m hoping for a Troll in the Dungeon set that connects anywhere on the interior of the castle like the Room of Requirement does. Same for a Fluffy set. And obviously we still need a proper set with the ultimate fantastic beast from the original films - the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets.

It absolutely is in jeopardy - J.K. Rowling is an extremely controversial person after all her anti-trans tweets (and I bet WB would rather throw her in a basement then let her have involvement in further movies).

Then we've got Johnny Depp, whose picture is deeply damaged by his case with Amber Heard (even tho all signs point towards her being much more guilty, this war is not going to end both for any of them).

After that there's Ezra Miller with this whole "punching a fan in a bar that's outside of America during a quarantine without wearing a mask" situation, and he didn't even apologise or anything.

And last but not least - the second movie was terrible. Bad reviews from fans and critics, people kind of lost interest in this franchise. They have to make the third movie at least as good as the original to make fans hopeful for a better future.

6 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I agree completely with your set desires here, those are at the top of my list as well. That’s worrying about the FB franchise though. COG had its flaws but I always imagined it would fit better into the series as a whole once it was more complete. I loved the first one. I sincerely hope they continue as planned, it’s a great prequel franchise, I always wanted the Grindelwald era explored more 

15 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I agree completely with your set desires here, those are at the top of my list as well. That’s worrying about the FB franchise though. COG had its flaws but I always imagined it would fit better into the series as a whole once it was more complete. I loved the first one. I sincerely hope they continue as planned, it’s a great prequel franchise, I always wanted the Grindelwald era explored more 

I think you just explained the problem with the movie yourself, if you need more movies to enjoy the movie you just watch it probably isn't a very good or well made. I didn't mind the first one but the COG was a mess and badly written and doesn't know who its characters are. Such a mess. I'm not sure how movies like this and the last two star wars movies get made. Piles of stupid sub plots and badly written characters. We really should expect more for our money. 

Questions for the designers that the won't answer. I wonder do they build, during the design phase, a deluxe version of the sets they are making and then have to crop it down to fit budget. Would love to see the no budget worry version of the sets. 

5 hours ago, autolycus said:

I would expect that every single one of them would say their dream HP set is the UCS Dobby's Sock.

I'm glad my idea has caught on. A UCS Dobby's sock would be a cherished and valuable addition to any LEGO collection.