Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

On the top shelf on the left above Marcos in the designer video with the Phelps brothers there is prototype version of WWW with a third floor and windows (in white because it`s a prototype).

Also there is this photo of other prototypes:

lego-harry-potter-75978-winkelgasse-life

Edited by Metanoios91

2 minutes ago, YetiZombie said:

There's an alternate face on Lockhart and it's great!!!

where do you see this?

15 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The interview with the designers and Phelps brothers is now up, it's 32 minutes long! *oh2*

Weirdly enough, I'm able to watch the video even though I'm not a VIP...

3 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

That’s pretty cool. Although kinda a shame that the instructions spoil it lol

and where do you find the instructions? 

I love some details on the new DA but mostly it's just ok, nothing to write home about.

With that look, it should be cheaper.

Or the other way around, with that price it should look much more detailed.

8 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Watching the interview right now and I love that they have the old HP statues behind them that we saw in the designer section of the original DK book. I wonder where those were kept while the line was dormant. 

where are you watching interview?

Yeah, that head for the photographer is 100% Karkaroff!   So he is confirmed for 2021 in my book.

The designers mentioned that they had to reduce the shops by a floor in order to include more shops. So, for those wondering, it wasn't a lazy design - it was just a trade-off.

3 minutes ago, Merlo said:

I love some details on the new DA but mostly it's just ok, nothing to write home about.

With that look, it should be cheaper.

Or the other way around, with that price it should look much more detailed.

It's already highly detailed, looking at what we're getting they could've easily charged us anywhere between 450 and 550 for this. The price may be high but looking at what we're getting it's pretty good

Okay, now that I know the leaked Harry figure is actually included, this is a day one purchase.  I'll be bracing my wallet and asking myself for forgiveness.  :blush:

15 minutes ago, deskp said:

Yeah, that head for the photographer is 100% Karkaroff!   So he is confirmed for 2021 in my book.

I will change the head of the photographer for the Jurassic World Hoskins' head (it has a dark grey beard) and use the one we get in this set for my custom Karkaroff (till we get the real one next year with the ship propably)

14 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's already highly detailed, looking at what we're getting they could've easily charged us anywhere between 450 and 550 for this. The price may be high but looking at what we're getting it's pretty good

Hey now, don`t you dare give them any ideas. *huh* You are free to tip the Lego shop employee those 150 $ but I will gladly only pay 400

I am glad the windows are prints and we do get quite a lot of wand boxes (sadly only in dark brown)

Edited by Metanoios91

6 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

Hey now, don`t you dare give them any ideas. *huh* You are free to tip the Lego shop employee those 150 $ but I will gladly only pay 400

LEGO could've easily added an additional 50 euro to the Dutch price like they did for the D2C Hogwarts and UCS Falcon. So trust me, I'm extremely glad they didn't increase it. Just saying that at $400 it doesn't make much sense to complain about price considering it could easily been a lot more.

The video posted by LEGO on social media was the same one that Oliver Phelps accidentally posted last week :laugh:

40 minutes ago, Metanoios91 said:

On the top shelf on the left above Marcos in the designer video with the Phelps brothers there is prototype version of WWW with a third floor and windows (in white because it`s a prototype).

Also there is this photo of other prototypes:

lego-harry-potter-75978-winkelgasse-life

Where did this image come from?

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 6:23 PM, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Alternatively, it might've just been the designer's preference. Plus it gives attic space to the largest building.

In general, the idea of connecting two completely different modules back to back to create "full" buildings makes absolutely no sense to me. It would be extremely inaccurate and look plain awful, I mean, who would actually want to display it that way? Plus, were that the intent, you'd think this feature would've been shown off in at least one of the 50+ official images we have of the set.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 1:01 AM, Vindicare said:

Glad I’m not the only one. First off, why? Why would anyone put two fronts of two completely different buildings together to make one? It would look ridiculous. Then comes display. Why would the designers of this set suggest you display two facades so you can’t even see them? One could argue the Sanctum Sanctorum, but that set is on hinges & is clear from both the box art & build that it is meant to be a corner. 

They're meant to be connected side by side in a row. That’s it. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 9:16 AM, B2Brixet said:

??? The set clearly isn’t designed to be back to back, it would look awful.    They added the connectors to give options, hardly a great deal of effort.

The similarity in size between 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th is just because of the baseplates. They obviously wanted 4 modules, 1 per base plate. With 6 shops (not counting the DP door and entrance to KA) that meant two would fill a base plate each and 4 would share 2 base plates. QQS and WWW are portrayed as bigger shops in the films so they got a base plate each. This then forced QQS to fill a base plate which may explain why it seems slightly larger than it perhaps ideally would. But we’re into the constraints of designing and building in Lego here, nothing more.

It is interesting to read about all the theories behind the design, appeal to girls, display back to back etc. when it seems obvious to me it’s just based on the films.

I’m trying to work out where to display this. Looks like the best bet will be a book shelf so hoping the depth is no more than 20cm. Do we know what the depth is? A 16x32 baseplate would be 13cm but looks like the stairs come back beyond the baseplate.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 3:16 PM, deskp said:

I think they are there in case people want to connect them like a corner, not back to back

Per BrickFanatics.com:  "Once completed, the four separate builds can be locked together with Technic pins to make for an incredibly long and sizable section of Diagon Alley (they can also be placed two by two and back to back)."

The set looks incredible! I will probably purchase it during autumn. 

As I will display it on a table backed against a wall, I will probably take the delightful book piles from F&B and stack them on the street in front of the shop. Minifigure-wise Lockhart is the best imo, his expressions and outfit are splendid! The photographer's angry expression is tailor-made for Karkaroff, which is an odd but pleasant surprise if we won't get a new Karkaroff in the future. My only critiques are the overall minifigure quality (Lucius, Molly, Ginny, reused torso for the trio) and the redundancy of QQS's attic.  

Edited by thenudeorganist

3 minutes ago, TheRandomBlocker said:

It says in the post that you quoted “in the designer video with the Phelps brothers”

Sorry the first sentence is referring to another prototype (WWW) which can be seen in the designer video on the shelf. The pic I posted is from the press release from Lego

4 minutes ago, thenudeorganist said:

My only critiques are the overall minifigure quality (Lucius, Molly, Ginny, reused torso for the trio) and the redundancy of QQS's attic.  

The torso's for the trio aren't actually reused. The 3 of them do share the same torso but the print itself is new :wink: