Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

This may be a little off topic, but I discovered a weird bit of trivia today while trying to sort out my Harry Potter minifigure collection. Hermione did not appear in any of the 11 sets released in 2002! Seems very odd since she should be one of the three most prominent characters. I guess it makes sense when you realize she was absent (or petrified) for many of the major sequences of Chamber of Secrets - Privet Drive escape, Polyjuice scene in Slytherin, Aragog, and the Chamber of Secrets... They did release a set of the troll scene from Sorcerer's Stone in 2002 too though where she could have fit in if they went for an extra minifigure.

59 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Link to my setup last year - super proud of it! I know it’s off topic but thought it’d bring some cheer given the current world situation.

It’s awesome! To potterize it you just need to replace the figs :laugh: I love reddit btw

2 hours ago, sammy_zammy said:

Link to my setup last year - super proud of it! I know it’s off topic but thought it’d bring some cheer given the current world situation.

I love collections like this. I don't see these sets too often.

So many AFOL collections are honestly boring. UCS Star Wars sets, playscale Millennium Falcons (usually more than 1 if any), microscale Hogwarts, disney castle, large car sets, NASA sets, and of course the eternal modular buildings. All lovely sets but it gets a bit boring after awhile. I suppose it makes you appreciate more unique collections like this though.

9 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

We always do. Set images always leak before official reveal and official release date, it rarely happens that Lego reveals them themselves, mostly with single or big sets. 

I think they are getting better and better at keeping secrets and if it leaks the same day or day before it is a pretty useless leak if it even deserves the title at all :tongue:

Time will show :wink:

3 hours ago, droobles said:

This may be a little off topic, but I discovered a weird bit of trivia today while trying to sort out my Harry Potter minifigure collection. Hermione did not appear in any of the 11 sets released in 2002! Seems very odd since she should be one of the three most prominent characters. I guess it makes sense when you realize she was absent (or petrified) for many of the major sequences of Chamber of Secrets - Privet Drive escape, Polyjuice scene in Slytherin, Aragog, and the Chamber of Secrets... They did release a set of the troll scene from Sorcerer's Stone in 2002 too though where she could have fit in if they went for an extra minifigure.

Hermione got short shafted in the 2001 sets as well (based off how often she shows up compared to Ron). She was also less likely to show up in casual outfits then the boys. Hermione is my favorite so I noticed this back when I was originally collecting the sets as a kid when they first came out. I was actually pretty disappointed when I first saw the set list in 2018 - Aragog’s Lair, the Whomping Willow and a (at the time just rumored) Quidditch set? I thought she would only show up in the Great Hall, but then both the Willow and Quidditch sets had a couple more figs then expected and we ended up getting an even number of Ron’s and Hermione’s in that year’s wave. The theme reboot has actually been pretty good about giving Hermione proper representation, so that’s just another thing I’m happy with for this theme. 

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

There is a good chance the Burrow is part of the june wave

What makes you say that i will come out in the June wave?

Interesting to read about everyone's dark ages. It's kinda funny to me how many of them started for you around the time my dark ages ended (right after the Harry Potter waves, about when lotr started or overlapped into hobbit.) Thing was I was really into Lego as a child, but I went started collecting hasbro star wars figures. I got back into Lego when the hasbro figures started losing quality, especially losing articulation, + a huge price increase, so a rather spend my money on something else. More specifically Jabba's Palace as he was also prominently featured ib my hasbro collection. Problem was I just lost out on Harry Potter, which was one of my favourite childhood sets. Was only able to get freeing Dobby, which was a remake of one of the old sets I owned. So I'm really looking forward to the rumored Lucious somewhere in the wave as he's pretty nostalgic t me in minifigure form.

4 hours ago, droobles said:

That's actually very interesting. I never thought of it before but I only ever got 1 yellow coloured Hermione, that being the one from the forbidden corridor. My next one was the one from poa Hagrid's Hut, because Hagrid was my favourite character and I missed out on the other sets with him. I thought the box was discoloured by sunlight so you could imagine I was quite shocked when the figures had flesh coloured faces all of the sudden. Come to think of it, female characters where pretty rare to get altogether. Only Belville had many, so... Still got some sets though xD. Anyway I remember my grandparents going to flea markets or collectors fairs in the weekend, sometimes buying loose female figures so I had some to add to my collection.

Just now, Thieda said:

What makes you say that i will come out in the June wave?

It's listed for June on a Dutch shop's site

I just checked the Dutch retailer brickshop.nl and the second cmf will release August 7th.

8 hours ago, Crookshanks said:

I hope the earlier rumor about that will be a 200 dollar(?) set is true.

I'm pretty sure there was never a rumored price other than 400

9 minutes ago, Thieda said:

I just checked the Dutch retailer brickshop.nl and the second cmf will release August 7th.

We've known that for some time

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Interesting to read about everyone's dark ages. It's kinda funny to me how many of them started for you around the time my dark ages ended (right after the Harry Potter waves, about when lotr started or overlapped into hobbit.) Thing was I was really into Lego as a child, but I went started collecting hasbro star wars figures. I got back into Lego when the hasbro figures started losing quality, especially losing articulation, + a huge price increase, so a rather spend my money on something else.

I got into the dark ages after I was told that I'm too old for playing Lego - lol, how can one be too old for Lego? :roflmao: But spending some time alone after I moved to my own apartment I came back very quickly as I lacked some hobbies.

1 hour ago, Huigberts Builds said:

So I'm really looking forward to the rumored Lucious somewhere in the wave as he's pretty nostalgic t me in minifigure form.

Agree! I really hope for him because he would be my first one. 

BTW, it would be quite nice to get another leak or hint today :innocent2:

Edited by 8fifty

22 minutes ago, 8fifty said:

BTW, it would be quite nice to get another leak or hint today :innocent2:

LEGO just revealed a new Technic set for june 1st so I'd say HP shouldn't be far behind

20 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

LEGO just revealed a new Technic set for june 1st so I'd say HP shouldn't be far behind

This is good news!

i love having time to complete MOCs (just finished Honeydukes!) but I sure am ready for a new HP set. 

A bit otter tangent, but saw someone saying they’re interested in the Chinese New Year sets - I started building Temple Fair last night and it’s absolutely gorgeous ?

I think the reason we haven't seen as much info on the Burrow set (if it releases in June) compared to the other sets is that it might be a retail exclusive.

8 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

i love having time to complete MOCs (just finished Honeydukes!) but I sure am ready for a new HP set. 

Would love to see that!

4 minutes ago, Thieda said:

I think the reason we haven't seen as much info on the Burrow set (if it releases in June) compared to the other sets is that it might be a retail exclusive.

It is a retail exclusive

I am hoping that either in the cmf or in a set that we get some OOTF style death eaters

Just now, Thieda said:

I am hoping that either in the cmf or in a set that we get some OOTF style death eaters

I hope so too :classic: DA would be a good option I think, similar to last time (which technically was just Lucius, but it worked).
Another option would be the training dummy in the RoR, but I don’t think it’s included in the set, otherwise we surely would have heard of it by now :def_shrug:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Would love to see that!

Apologies the pictures are blurry! I don’t seem to be able to attach large images - anyone have any ideas? 

My brother and I are hoping to set up an Instagram for our LEGO builds, so we’ve been spending quarantine taking A LOT of pictures for it ?

9626113D-36C1-4A52-B6EF-920796061CDA.jpeg

E4B8B0CA-36DB-4BA9-B6A3-FCA1A49E375F.jpeg

Just now, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Apologies the pictures are blurry! I don’t seem to be able to attach large images - anyone have any ideas?

I mean they’re blurry because I had to save them as small images before uploading! 

1 minute ago, Lego-Freak said:

I hope so too :classic: DA would be a good option I think, similar to last time (which technically was just Lucius, but it worked).
Another option would be the training dummy in the RoR, but I don’t think it’s included in the set, otherwise we surely would have heard of it by now :def_shrug:

Imagine if we got a death eater battle pack lol

22 minutes ago, Thieda said:

Imagine if we got a death eater battle pack lol

That'd be brilliant. :D We'll surely get Lucius in the CMF or DA, if not both, and he'll have his mask as the second face. It would be great to get also a regular death eater in the DA. Anotter place could be a MoM set if one is coming lol. The CMF would ideal though, because of army building.

7 hours ago, 8fifty said:

Totally agree! A few weeks ago, I was very lucky to get the crane for a very cheap price in excellent condition: The box wasn't sealed any more but the bags still were! 

Tried to do the same with the 10217 Diagon Alley but no chance. That's why I'm pretty hyped for the new one :excited:

Yeah, DA is the best set of the old waves and almost on par with the current ones, but I have a feeling this new one might blow it out of the water... Lol Lego doing me a big favour by letting me avoid the secondary market.

7 hours ago, Otherworld said:

It’s awesome! To potterize it you just need to replace the figs :laugh: I love reddit btw

Thank you :)  You're right! I hear about people buying tons of Harry's Journey polybags to get the torsos, and I'm tempted, but if I did try such a thing I feel I'd be able to get by with the Harry Potter CMFs I'm now collecting.

6 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

I love collections like this. I don't see these sets too often.

So many AFOL collections are honestly boring. UCS Star Wars sets, playscale Millennium Falcons (usually more than 1 if any), microscale Hogwarts, disney castle, large car sets, NASA sets, and of course the eternal modular buildings. All lovely sets but it gets a bit boring after awhile. I suppose it makes you appreciate more unique collections like this though.

Thank you! And yeah, I can see what you mean about "boring" collections, but of course anyone can collect what they enjoy. I think a big factor for me is whether you can create a scene with the minifigs, arguably my favourite part of having a Lego set. It makes it go from a dust-collector on a shelf to a diaroma. So UCS Star Wars you can't do that, and that's the thing that puts me off microscale Hogwarts, as awesome as it is - I haven't got space, and it would be cool by all means but not terribly interesting to display for me.

I said above that I wanted to rotate Harry Potter and Indiana Jones displays, but it makes me realise all the other themes that have been sitting in the loft in plastic crates for the last 10 years that I could display - I am looking forward to setting up my old Vikings stuff, as that was one of my favourite themes as a kid and I feel it really holds up today.

2 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Interesting to read about everyone's dark ages. It's kinda funny to me how many of them started for you around the time my dark ages ended (right after the Harry Potter waves, about when lotr started or overlapped into hobbit.) Thing was I was really into Lego as a child, but I went started collecting hasbro star wars figures. I got back into Lego when the hasbro figures started losing quality, especially losing articulation, + a huge price increase, so a rather spend my money on something else. More specifically Jabba's Palace as he was also prominently featured ib my hasbro collection. Problem was I just lost out on Harry Potter, which was one of my favourite childhood sets. Was only able to get freeing Dobby, which was a remake of one of the old sets I owned. So I'm really looking forward to the rumored Lucious somewhere in the wave as he's pretty nostalgic t me in minifigure form.

Yeah it is really interesting, everyone has their own unique story. I think LotR/the Hobbit was just before mine, but I wasn't really interested in the franchise at that point. But I am now, so looking back, I really wish I'd been into it back then! But I guess that's something to collect next time there's a lull in what current stuff I'm interested in. And me too, I'm really looking forward to getting some remakes of classic minifigs - Lego is really going all out to give as much variety in characters as possible this time and that's fantastic.

1 hour ago, 8fifty said:

I got into the dark ages after I was told that I'm too old for playing Lego - lol, how can one be too old for Lego? :roflmao: But spending some time alone after I moved to my own apartment I came back very quickly as I lacked some hobbies.

It's a shame when someone isn't interested in Lego any more because they're told they shouldn't be. It does make you appreciate it when you come back though. I find it funny that I don't think of it as a toy any more, rather a model to display. Sometimes I'm reminded that it is a toy (due to e.g. the Mario theme, which I'm glad didn't capture my interest like I might've hoped, as it means I can collect HP!) and I surprise myself lol

7 hours ago, droobles said:

Yeah it's really weird that she had so little representation. But I guess this was the time when lego didn't really know who their target audience was, what with Galidor and Jack Stone and them almost going under, and so they were probably worried it wouldn't appeal to boys if they included Hermione.

58 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

A bit otter tangent, but saw someone saying they’re interested in the Chinese New Year sets - I started building Temple Fair last night and it’s absolutely gorgeous ?

Woah, I would love to see some of your MOCs! I would love a Hogsmeade set in the same vein as Diagon Alley.

It was me who was interested - I think they look absolutely awesome so I'm glad you think it does in real life! I almost bought it when they had the train promo on, but then realised that I have no reason to want the train - why was I feeling nostalgic about something long before I was born? Well obviously because it's a piece of history about a product I love but it was a bit silly, I'd much rather wait for a GWP that I really want. I did nab the Dragon Boat Race though before it's retired soon. It's also made me interested in Ninjago sets, specifically the movie ones like Destiny's Bounty - which looks an incredible set which goes for a surprisingly low price on BL considering it's retired.

42 minutes ago, Thieda said:

Yes, I would love some Death Eaters!

38 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Maybe it was a small / unprinted build so wasn't noticed at the time? Considering the OotP Hogwarts Castle in 2007 had a superb Death Eater manikin I really hope this one does too, with a unique mask print. It's a real shame we haven't heard anything about any Death Eaters as its OotP and HBP when the main Death Eater design is most prevalent, they're only masked in 1 or 2 scenes from Deathly Hallows part 1 from what I remember. 

Very much looking forward to seeing Lucius! Hoping to see him in the CMF so he can have a new mould for his snake cane, either welded onto a staff like the CMF nunchuks or as an attachment which can be removed. I think its too early for people like Kingnono to have seen the Diagon Alley minifigures so hopefully he's in the minifigure series. 

34 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

My brother and I are hoping to set up an Instagram for our LEGO builds, so we’ve been spending quarantine taking A LOT of pictures for it ?

Wow! Those are absolutely as high quality as official Lego ones! I would totally buy that if it were real. Shall look forward to the Instagram!

I wish I had enough bricks to build a MOC like this, unfortunately I have to make it in Studio which isn't quite so intuitive and also not quite so much fun. I hope to finish some MOCs sometime though and BL the parts.

17 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Wow! Those are absolutely as high quality as official Lego ones! I would totally buy that if it were real. Shall look forward to the Instagram!

I wish I had enough bricks to build a MOC like this, unfortunately I have to make it in Studio which isn't quite so intuitive and also not quite so much fun. I hope to finish some MOCs sometime though and BL the parts.

Thank you! It means a lot that otter people can enjoy my MOCs too ? I’m a bit of a perfectionist though so always changing things. 

Studio is really good for a lot of things like parts lists and instructions, but there always has to be some element of free build with actual bricks!

how do we know that the Burrow is likely to be a retail exclusive?

8 minutes ago, Scarlet_Patronus said:

Thank you! It means a lot that otter people can enjoy my MOCs too ? I’m a bit of a perfectionist though so always changing things. 

Studio is really good for a lot of things like parts lists and instructions, but there always has to be some element of free build with actual bricks!

how do we know that the Burrow is likely to be a retail exclusive?

You're welcome.

I'm not actually sure what retail exclusive means, at least in the UK - every Lego HP set I've seen is available everywhere, or is the exclusivity something that changes over time?