Ross Fisher

[Q12 Nixor TT] Race to the Landspeeder

*Your entry has earned 3 XP (x2 for limited challenge)*

I was in two minds about taking Lu'vel along on my next mission. On the one hand, she was an unknown quantity; someone who had no particular loyalty to me or my allies, whose skills and experience were unclear. Hell, I wasn't even truly sure she *wanted* to come along.
But on the other hand, I didn't want to just leave her back at the shuttle. What sort of a crappy life is that? Moving from one world to another without really experiencing any of them. I figured the only way to figure out her talents and loyalties was to hand her a couple of blasters and see what happened. 
Better men than me have died from making decisions like that. But, frankly, I'd rather meet my end at the hands of a beautiful woman on an exotic world than from some painful disease or an angry superior officer. 
Unfortunately, we weren't on an exotic world. We were on Nixor, which was even more of a toilet bowl back in the day than it is now. And we were there to resolve a labour dispute with a trade union - about the most tedious, frustrating kind of job I've ever had to handle. 
I felt guilty for just inflicting that on the girl. Perhaps she would've preferred to stay with the ship? Or go off shopping? I hadn't yet sorted out her wage at that point. 
In the end, it was clear that the unions of Nixor were never going to agree between themselves what their demands were, never mind allow us to negotiate them. 
And since a united group of people with a grievance is the perfect seed point for a rebel cell, something had to be done. With sign-off from control, I set about removing the Union bosses from the table, one by one. 

Attack on Nixor

And I must say, Lu'vel was a fairly decent spotter; innocuous enough that no-one gave her a second thought, but clear and concise in her information. With her help I was able to wrap up the situation rather cleanly. With Nixor under my belt, it was time to move on.

So, it seems scratch-building vehicles definitely isn't my forté. The current Episode should be interesting.

The thing I'm proudest of is getting a believable-looking sniper pose. I'll be using that again in the future...

Attack on Nixor

Very nice build and great story as ever. I am really interested to see how your story will play out, I think that Lu'vel could be a really interesting character. I really like the use of those disks from Yondu's ship as well. As for the speeder it isn't bad, I just think that the slightly more toned down colours are more useful but because of TLG using them so rarely it's difficult to use them for builds such as this. The bright colour scheme makes it look a bit cartoon, but it is difficult to avoid this effect, I have found it myself. Anyway great job with the build and the story, I can't wait to see what you will build next!

I'll second MB's comment - great story as always. The scene is a little too simple for my taste, but I like the use of the yellow dishes... The speeder truck is a really nice idea - it is a bit clean to be a star wars vehicle, but nice with some colors for a change... ;)

2 hours ago, marvelBoy123 said:

The bright colour scheme makes it look a bit cartoon

1 hour ago, Darth Bjorn said:

I'll second MB's comment

Completely agree. It was just the grey building a first, so I threw some colour in to spice things up. Then I added two aliens and the speeder truck, and suddenly it all got to be a bit too much...

I not being critical of your choice to add colour it brightens the build. I just feel that Lego doesn't give us the pieces to easily build in good colours, after all bright blue doesn't prove particularly useful in many situations. It is a nice build for the speeder though and a nice interpretation of the concept art. Keep up the good work!

On 12/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, marvelBoy123 said:

Lego doesn't give us the pieces to easily build in good colours

I could've done a whole lot better, but I appreciate you looking out for me.

I love your bold color choices for the speeder, but they may be too bold. Star Wars is a lived-in universe and your speeder looks fresh off the assembly. I would pick a darker version of either the blue or yellow to make it feel a little grittier. One bold color is good, two seems too much.