Sign in to follow this  
Jobi

[MOC] Y-wing (Original Trilogy) Midi Scale

Hi,

I've been building some smaller scale versions of some Lego Star wars sets at roughly half the scale of the originals, I guess it's midi scale really. I especially enjoyed putting together this Y-wing, I think it's my favourite so far. I'm planning to do a few more over the next few weeks.

Just getting to grips with Stud.io which is where the renders are from. Here's a link to the studio gallery as well: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/design.page?idModel=110276

49095184722_d678f5506a_c.jpg

49094474158_b2da45d720_c.jpg

49095184762_e43bee9d85_c.jpg

This is the real model on my kitchen table:-

49094994636_dda83d01c1_b.jpg

And next to big brother for a size comparison (Lego set 7658) :-

49095184807_a13f8ed196_b.jpg

Cheers,

Joe

This is actually really nice. I personally like spacecraft in midi scale a lot because it offers enough room to add details while still being an overall compact design. Just like your Y-wing. Please show us more vehicles of this size in the future! :classic:

Thanks Hollander! I just saw your UCS scale Y-wing which looks really nice.

Personally I love building this scale because it's cheaper to source the bricks and easier to play about with the design before commiting to it :-)

I have a couple more midi scale designs in stud.io, just need to get the bricks and do a build test first. Will post them soon. Cheers.

It's a beautiful rendition!  Also, at 182 pieces, an ambitious rebel builder can amass a whole fleet of these.

You might be able to achieve an even tighter look by bringing the bars/poles/rods closer to the cylindrical boosters.  (See below for an example using part 4733 Brick, Modified 1x1 with Studs on 4 Sides and part 63965 Bar 6L with Stop Ring,)

Thank you for sharing your creation and showing us a midi-scale design that is simple yet effective.

midi_Y-wing.png.4fd6e0cbe84561e543c2700ff2b0de98.png

Edited by dream-in-bricks

Hi dream-in-bricks! Thanks for your suggestion and taking the time to make a visual for it. That's a great way to bring the rods closer to the boosters.

I've been trying to get it to work with my model and eventually got a good result.

I had to get rid of the technic ski-poles and use 6L bars instead. Also, the tighter poles collided with the technic brick holding the engines, so a new support was needed. I ended up using technic axles and bushings to hold the boosters to the body. Overall, I think it's a big improvement - the ship looks chunkier and more powerful now.

Cheers!

49142921188_f26ee11621_c.jpg