Sign in to follow this  
lixiuus

UCS Star Destroyer in LDD

has anybody attempted to make the new ucs star destroyer (75252)?

im stuck with lining up the sides. is there anyone that can help me?

LDD hates panels, angles and most other things. Quite often there are things you just can't do in LDD. Real manipulation of LEGO is very different to the program's limitations. Trial and error is your best bet. Use small incremental angles and such, or perhaps try to find alternative ways of making certain parts go together. I've had to bodge my fair share of official builds over the years, with jury-rigged methods (such as precision moving floating elements to put them into place).

Edited by Kevin Flemming

yeah, i've been trying that. almost drives me crazy. :wacko: i have removed almost everything thats in the way, but no luck. i am at a point that i stopped and moved on. i'll see how far i can get without aligning everything perfectly.

Depending on what parts you are trying to align, the hinge align tool can be quite useful.  Also, you can manually type in angles of rotation (though if you use ball-and-socket joint, then the xyz rotations can jump around quite a bit) and use more decimal places than are shown by the program.

Keep in mind that Lego has quite a bit of flexibility, especially with larger models, so possibly not everything lines up exactly on the real model -  for example, when I tried to build 10030 UCS Star Destroyer in LDD, I found that the outer walls of the triangle frame actually bent inwards on the real model and couldn't line up correctly in LDD.

I'm on the same path. I have been able to connect the sides by removing piece 18171 in the back (connector where the last pin is attached). Reason they don't line up is because the real life model has a little tension on the sides and panels in some places and you cannot recreate that in LDD. :tongue:

Edited by Cyberfounder