Dorino

[MOC] Green locomotive - free build (based on 3677 Red Cargo Train)

Hello everyone!

Today i present you my recent build. The reason i created it is because i wanted to make use of two Windscreen 2 x 6 x 2 Train without Glass that appeared in last year 60198 Cargo Train.

The shape i choose is heavily based on 3677 Red Cargo Train which is based on real life locomotives (i did not spent any time trying to find what's the correct name for this kind of locomotives where the cabin is in the middle or little of the middle)

I ran out of the bricks to make rails all around the locomotive but i think it looks ok without them.

The boogies i used are very generic and i know that with some better ones it could look better.

All in all i don't really like it and i can't really point out why. The one that comes in 3677 is 6 and 4 studs wide and looks good. I wanted to make something more "realistic" making it little wider but somehow i am still not sold on it.

I am also not sold on the color scheme, somehow 60198 looks good with green / yellow / dark blusih gray but mine doesn't.

I will appreciate any feedback, and i am willing to modify it.

Hope you like it :)

20191016_150942

20191016_151049

20191016_150957

Edited by Dorino

It's a very nice locomotive!!! :thumbup::laugh:

It's the right size, and it is nicely done! I'd keep the original design, changing a bit the color scheme by reducing the number of different colors.

For example, keeping the green as the main color (you've those nice windscreens that must not be wasted :wub: ), yellow could be used for decoration line (thick or thin, as you prefer) and details (like rails), dark bluish gray could be used for the roof and bonnets top.

I'd exclude the light gray color from the chassis - since in my opinion it's the one unbalancing the whole look of the locomotive. The chassis could be, for example,  all black (to match the bogies) or all green (to match the main body color). Or even half and half (lower part in black, upper part in green).

all in all there are a lot of possible color combinations :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Seeing more and more 8 stud wide trains.  This this the way of the future?

Regarding your moc, it looks good.  For my taste I think I would leave all the light gray bits from the floor and rails dark gray or black.  Would want to show off the green a yellow a bit more.

Nice locomotive :thumbup: but I think I would make the following changes:

I would reduce the size of the trainbase to 7 studs wide, with a body of 7 and 4 studs;

I would increase the gap between the trolleys and the base train of a plate to highlight the bogies and I would add access stairs to both sides.

About the livery the yellow strip maybe could complete the turn on the nose ...you can consider to aplly a sticker ...they are just tips :wink:

@Paperinik77pk @LegoDW @LEGO Train 12 Volts

Thanks for kind words, i love reading them!

I liked all of your suggestions and i decided to implement them (except one) !

I got rid of light bluish gray, the base looks way better with dark bluish gray and it matches top. Unfortunately i don't have enough DBG poles / droid arms to make rails but i think they look good in LBG.

I increased gap between trolleys (to be fair no idea how i got them so close in first place) and extended detailing under, i also added little ladder to both sides.

The only thing i didn't do was 7 stud wide base with 4 and 7 body, this will require more than just color swapping and i didn't have that much time this weekend.

No side to side photos yet, i still need to fix trolleys but here are some photos after updates :)

20191021_110655

20191021_110702

20191021_110712

Edited by Dorino