Sariel

Control+ motors' performance VS PF motors' performance

I finally had a moment to compare the new motors against the PF motors in several categories, including torque, speed and several others. The results are, well, a bit confusing, as the new XL motor appears to be faster and weaker than the new L motor. I guess we won't know for sure until Philo runs his tests.

FYI, the torque tests were all done using the same batteries and the same setup with motors pushing a rack down onto a scale using a t28 gear, and the speed tests were done also done with the same batteries and with Mindstorms angle sensor for measuring speed.

Thanks for video; my biggest question is now answered; PF XL motor has highest torque of the all. :thumbup:

I have noticed one more thing; side of PU XL motor can not be put inside 5 x 7 frame

Edited by I_Igor
Alzheimer...

Based on my rudimentary tests the torque of the PF and PU L & XL motors is pretty similar if you gear them to a similar speed. Can't wait to see a proper comparison from Philo.

Maybe it has been answered before, but I wonder whether or not it will still be possible to simply motorize a creation without the need for RC in the new Powered-up ecosystem? I'm thinking about sets like the BWE and many others where the power of one motor is transmitted through a gearbox to the desired function? The new BB with integrated receiver seems to suggest it is a thing of the past. But I think there is still a valid use case for motorizing the input size of a gearbox, but still manually switching the outputs to control the functions. For me personally, this is still the best of both worlds: mechanically complex sets, but no more sore fingers of endless turning knobs.

If I understand correctly, at the moment with the current hardware you would need the 88009 Power-Up hub to this, but this is not optimized to interface with the Technic building system since it has even stud dimensions and lacks stud holes. Can we expect a new version of the "dumb" Technic battery box?

A follow-up question is whether an new version of the 8293 PF Motor set will ever be launched.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

@Cumulonimbus with the 88009 hub you'd still need the train remote to operate the outputs so at the moment none of the PU hubs will give you a dumb powering option. We were told that such solution is (dumb battery box) is planned for PU there are usually no details or comments on future products so it's unsure when it will arrive. 

Btw the physical difference between the 88009 hub and the Technic 4-port hub is the number of the ports (2 vs 4), the battery type (AAA vs AA) and the integrated 6-axis gyro in the Technic hub. Once the Powered Up app will be updated to support properly the Technic hub and the motors there'll be no difference from the software side.

Thank you for the video :classic:.

This new system allows many possibilities but one question is raising in my mind: is the PFS system dead? I mean, I know that this technology will no longer be produced by Lego but will they provide a solution to combine the C+ hub with PFS motors? I also hope that they will produce smaller hubs (with no gyro) for smaller models...

@kbalage Thank you for your answers.

There are a lot of parallels between the introduction of PF in 2007 with the 8275 Bulldozer and the launch of Control+ with the Liebherr set. In both cases a big impressive set showcases the possibilities of the new RC system. For PF system the L, XL and servo motors were introduced in later sets so it's reasonable to expect new Control+/Powered Up components in future sets which will add possibilities. I get the feeling though that PF was a more developed system at the time of launch than Powered Up is at the moment.

Is it just me or do the Control+ motors make way less noise? I didn't really like the sound of the previous motors, but I just got the Liebherr and it totally didn't bother me now.