Sign in to follow this  
Collector245

Hello

Hi

I have been on Eurobricks for a little while now and I thought it was best to introduce myself now rather than never. My name is William. I am a collector from the USA. I mainly collect sets and other items from the 1950s and earlier. I was wondering if anybody else collects from the same time period as me? I look forward to getting to know the community more!

Hello William, welcome to Eurobricks!

1 hour ago, Collector245 said:

I mainly collect sets and other items from the 1950s and earlier.

What inspired you to collect sets of this vintage?

Thank you! I started off collecting modular buildings. Then I saw one of the 1950s sets one day, and I instantly knew that was what I wanted to collect. 

Welcome (more officially) to EB, William!  That's certainly an interesting vintage to collect.  Are you only focussed on sets produced in that era, or do you also collect 50s-themed sets (like the Downtown Diner modular since you mentioned that line of sets)?

Thank you! I am mostly focused on sets that were produced in that era, but I do still collect some sets like the Downtown Diner.

12 hours ago, Collector245 said:

Thank you! I started off collecting modular buildings. Then I saw one of the 1950s sets one day, and I instantly knew that was what I wanted to collect. 

Dare I ask...  which set was that?

22 hours ago, Collector245 said:

Hi

I have been on Eurobricks for a little while now and I thought it was best to introduce myself now rather than never. My name is William. I am a collector from the USA. I mainly collect sets and other items from the 1950s and earlier. I was wondering if anybody else collects from the same time period as me? I look forward to getting to know the community more!

Welcome to Eurobricks, William.

Pleased to meet you.

10 hours ago, Collector245 said:

I think it was one of the wooden box sets. Here is a link that shows what one of the wooden box sets looks like.  link

Welcome !

Seriously !

This set is one of the first set I ever had from my uncle !

I still have the city circulation signs in quite good condition even if the printed bricks tend to be altered. On this time printing was not the best that TLG could produce... Do your printed bricks are in good condition ?

11 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Welcome !

Seriously !

This set is one of the first set I ever had from my uncle !

I still have the city circulation signs in quite good condition even if the printed bricks tend to be altered. On this time printing was not the best that TLG could produce... Do your printed bricks are in good condition ?

Hi, Faladrin

My wooden box set is the earliest German Wooden box set produced. My set was sold just as the box but then was filled with pieces by the owner. My set has a few printed bricks in it but they are all in very good condition. I would love to see pictures of your set! Do you have any other sets like this? 

Just now, Collector245 said:

Hi, Faladrin

My wooden box set is the earliest German Wooden box set produced. My set was sold just as the box but then was filled with pieces by the owner. My set has a few printed bricks in it but they are all in very good condition. I would love to see pictures of your set! Do you have any other sets like this? 

Main of these sets were from my uncle childhood, so they are not in the best condition. He played with them and then me and my siblings played with them too. So the sets accused severe play damages unfortunately.

My bad, if I were aware of their value, I would have been more careful...

I still keep the 4.5v train from the 60's in correct condition but it needed some repairs on the cables...

3 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Main of these sets were from my uncle childhood, so they are not in the best condition. He played with them and then me and my siblings played with them too. So the sets accused severe play damages unfortunately.

My bad, if I were aware of their value, I would have been more careful...

I still keep the 4.5v train from the 60's in correct condition but it needed some repairs on the cables...

I have good news for you! Even though they have heavy play damage doesn't mean they aren't still sought after by collectors. I might be able to help value them if you give me a list of the ones you have.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:44 PM, Collector245 said:

I think it was one of the wooden box sets. Here is a link that shows what one of the wooden box sets looks like.  link

Well, this certainly is going back...  interesting how a toy made of plastic has a wooden box.  Seems more efficient to make the box out of plastic too.

1871 - LEGO.png

Well if you think about it LEGO started making wooden toys and they were producing them at this time, so they had the supply of wood already. They also mostly made their boxes out of cardboard and sold the wooden boxes as storage boxes and large sets. It may have been more expensive to make their boxes out of plastic.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:24 PM, Collector245 said:

have good news for you! Even though they have heavy play damage doesn't mean they aren't still sought after by collectors. I might be able to help value them if you give me a list of the ones you have.

That's nice of you but I am more attach to those parts from a sentimental perspective point of view, and would never sold them. I know that even damaged pieces could be sold to some collectors. I pass on that. Thank you.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:39 AM, Faladrin said:

That's nice of you but I am more attach to those parts from a sentimental perspective point of view, and would never sold them. I know that even damaged pieces could be sold to some collectors. I pass on that. Thank you.

I understand completely, I am the same way about a few of my sets.