neonic

bag of Lego bricks, good price?

I saw on the antiques and curiosity market someone selling some bags of Lego for 15 euro's. He told me it weights about 1 kg. So I just wondering ... is it a good price? I saw on the internet they sell the same for about that price too, but it's all unsorted and all kind of colors. Those bags were filled with bricks and some plates, so for me it's a advantage because I'm building a truck.

Edited by neonic

Short answer: No.

Long answer: It depends whats in it.

Generally, on eBay, random part lots go for around £10 per kilo, so €15 (which converts to around £13) is inflated.

I never buy from people that sell in lots like that because the idea of buying random lots for me is the hope that I'll find something cool or potentially a complete set, but if they're splitting randomly then you'd need all of the lots to do that.

Also, I suspect that sellers just pick out all of the truly good stuff.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:42 AM, leafan said:

Also, I suspect that sellers just pick out all of the truly good stuff.

As someone who used to help someone run a Bricklink store who resold lots, yes, that's what he did. Picks out any pricey pieces, rare animals, rare color parts, etc. then the rest of the lot went into inventory/the new lot.

I'm sure not everyone does that, because who has time to sort thousands of pieces a day, so you may get lucky. At that point it's gambling though, and you're better off just Bricklinking the parts you actually need since the average will be about 8 to 12 cents a piece anyway.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Thanks for the reactions.
I've looked on the internet and ideed ... a bag of Lego, from a 1kg, costs about that price. So it's a good price I think. The only 'problem' is that's a kind of colors.
Last week he didn't bring them, the week after he would. I said, good plan! So I decided to buy a bag. It's all white pieces, what I need most so ... it seemed handy to me. Otherwise I had to order a lot of pieces and I don't know exactly how or what bricks / plates I need. And 2,3,6,8 long or so ever ...  is not so important. So now I have a lot of pieces so I can building further. After that I can always order some pieces or ... buy another bag. Another plus is it's also contains pretty much 'weird stuff', see third photo. So it's also nice. 

But anyhow ... for who's interested, I've made some pictures. I could choose out of 3 bags, and one of them, contains some plane parts? so I just choose one of the other 2.

I like Chinese food so I have a few plastic containers wich I use to sort it a bit out.

a-IMG-5144.jpg

the Bag itself.

a-IMG-5153.jpg

a Bit sorted out. a Container of 'weird' pieces (like tiles with guages on it, levers, grills and that sort of things), with double bricks, single bricks and 'small' plates.

a-IMG-5156.jpg

the 'Collection' of weird pieces. Some of them I don't know what to do with, others I think I'm sure I can find a place for it. There also a lot of steering wheels, I think I've some ideas for them.

It's a collection of used / 'new' parts and I don't know where he's got it from but I'm happy with it and I can continue building for a while.

ps. It's a while I've been hanging of a forum for active, so I hope the photo's are not to big?
otherwise I upload some smaller ones.

ps. Something got wrong ... how can I remove the other post?

Edited by neonic

I was already thinking of buying another bag of Lego. Yesterday I couldn't resist and I did buy another bag of Lego from the guy on the market. He had a few bags red, yellow and white parts so ... Maybe I've too much now? Who knows. Anyhow, it's nice too sort it and look what's in it. Like the other bag, it contains parts I didn't planned for my truck but looks nice, so I look for a place for it.

the Bag itselfs 
IMG-5213.jpg

Empty it
IMG-5214.jpg

And the 'collection' of weird parts. I already have shoebox full of weird parts like decorated tiles and slopes, handles, antennas, and all that stuff since I started with Lego. I always made things and then get the box and 'decorated' with all those stuff. And now ... it still is, only the shoebox is now partly sorted in other boxes :classic: I've got a bit too much of it, and too much small parts.
IMG-5215.jpg

It seems he got you hooked:wink: In my experience prices really vary. Especially when buying them used at a flea market/garage/car boot sale. 

I am not completely happy with the bags, to be honest. It appears some pieces are pretty yellowed. And the selection is indeed a bit random. If you don't mind the sorting and probably cleaning (and getting really random bits and pieces^^), you should be able to find bulk lego cheaper. Especially when its older stuff that was sleeping in someone's attic or basement for more than a decade.:classic: