Digger of Bricks

LEGO City 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

The large diving ship doesn't have a figure with a captain's uniform :S.  I was really looking forward to that.  Perhaps these ships have scientists instead but it would have been nice to have one : )

Since the airport building was very similar to what I saw on an advert of a new City book in a magazine a while ago, right before the airport pictures came out I drew my concept from there (some pages ago in this thread)

Here's a better picture Page 13:

https://www.ameet.eu/catalogues/ameet-books-catalogue-2020/

Now there are some buildings on there that aren't sets but seem either too big or weird for City :

But since a rumored Town D2C might come here are the ones on the map :

• Soccer Stadium
  • Train Station
  • Whipped Cream Factory (unlikely :grin:)
  • Haunted Hotel (Hidden Side?) but also looks like the Haunted House set from many years back.
  • Cinema (no building picture)
  • Concert Venue (also has that new blue haired popstar that comes with the airport set)

Also wonder about any future set with the Corn suit guy (the Mayor) in it.

Many other listed things have been sets already.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

• Soccer Stadium
  • Train Station
  • Haunted Hotel (Hidden Side?) but also looks like the Haunted House set from many years back.

The train station seems the most likely.

In my opinion, City needs to expand its train range. Add a rapid transit train or a cable car. Go beyond just the passenger train and cargo train they release every four years. Also add some options such as train stations, extra cars or sheds. That was one good thing about the early 2000s Lego trains 

Concert Venue (also has that new blue haired popstar that comes with the airport set)

Her name is Poppy Star.

That sounds like an idea for a people pack. I also put out an idea of releasing a radio station set for City with Poppy in it. 

I have two ideas on the Ideas for new City sets page with him. They're the town hall and the office. 

All the same, I do wonder what this year's mega set will be. I'd hope it would include a pizzeria, grocery shop and post office. We may have gotten some easter eggs with this sticker pack here. A City town planning set would be a perfect opportunity to take advantage of those + it would have all three buildings I've wanted City to do in one complete set. For the vehicles they could have a food transporter and a city mail van. Of course you'll need a scooter and the yellow tram. 

I keep seeing new City magazine gifts pop up on Brickset, while the magazine here is releasing pretty slow with magazine issue #3 in June 11 with this : 

952003-1.jpg?202003240952

Now recently I also saw those appear , so it seems other regions get their magazine released sooner.

952016-1.jpg?202004060146952005-1.jpg?202005060623

Those little sets, especially the vehicles , remind me a lot of small Town sets and I like them, I started collecting them late 2018.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-City/subtheme-Magazine-Gift

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/2/2020 at 3:35 AM, Maxentius said:

Hello guys! I'm usually a seller at a local LEGO Store in Budapest (but it is closed at this moment because of COVID-19). I heard a rumour from by store leader that there will be a big set arriving at sometime in the summer including some vehicles, shops and a yellow tram. It will likely be the successor of the 60097 City Square set.

i hope there is some sort of city hall or something like that. it is likely this will go with the TV series, so maybe the mayor will play a part, since we have never gotten a city hall. i also hope there is a station for the tram.

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

i hope there is some sort of city hall or something like that. it is likely this will go with the TV series, so maybe the mayor will play a part, since we have never gotten a city hall. i also hope there is a station for the tram.

I hope it includes a grocery store along with a hall for Mayor Freck. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

On 5/4/2020 at 9:21 PM, TeriXeri said:

Since the airport building was very similar to what I saw on an advert of a new City book in a magazine a while ago, right before the airport pictures came out I drew my concept from there (some pages ago in this thread)

Now there are some buildings on there that aren't sets but seem either too big or weird for City :

• Soccer Stadium
  • Train Station
  • Concert Venue (also has that new blue haired popstar that comes with the airport set)

OMG the 2013 museum its still there, i have that set and its really awesome

Given the recently released Soccer Stadium I can't see a City Soccer Stadium being a thing anytime soon (certainly not as a d2c)

On 5/5/2020 at 4:21 AM, TeriXeri said:

• Soccer Stadium
  • Train Station

Maybe there is hope for a train station as one of the 26 qualified products on Ideas is a beautiful one. :)

43 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

Since some set numbers for City are still missing, I was wondering if there'll be a smaller (exclusive) airplane like:

https://brickset.com/sets/60102-1/Airport-VIP-Service ?

That's probably my only disappointment about this year's airport wave. I was kinda hoping for a VIP service and a freight plane like they did in 2016. 

I think the space in the product line for another small airplane is already occupied by the 4+ airplane in the Minions wave.

if there is a tram there will probably be a small station, but D2C sets usually just have buildings and cars

Just now, toopizza13 said:

if there is a tram there will probably be a small station, but D2C sets usually just have buildings and cars

Likely another store and restaurant building with some type of bus. 

I think I might be only looking forward to the Great Vehicles and Town set as far as next year is concerned. Other than that, I'm setting low standards as next year's wave would probably be similar to the 2012, 2015 and 2018 waves. That is to say, oversaturation of action outside the city - despite this theme being about city life. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

On 5/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, Maxentius said:

Hello guys! I'm usually a seller at a local LEGO Store in Budapest (but it is closed at this moment because of COVID-19). I heard a rumour from by store leader that there will be a big set arriving at sometime in the summer including some vehicles, shops and a yellow tram. It will likely be the successor of the 60097 City Square set.

Thanks for this information1, Maxentius! :classic:

That is indeed great news! :thumbup:

My city definately needs more buildings and shops as well as another tram and some nice additional vehicles are always welcome, too!

Let's hope that the buildings will be minimum two floors big and some of them having a 16x16 base, better even a 16x32 base.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:05 AM, legobear said:

The large diving ship doesn't have a figure with a captain's uniform :S.  I was really looking forward to that.  Perhaps these ships have scientists instead but it would have been nice to have one : )

I bet that the minifigure with the grey beart sitting in front of the steering wheel has the 2015 captain's uniform under the lifejacket.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:46 PM, toopizza13 said:

I completely agree that there should be a town hall included - or at least some kind of building in an ancient architectual style like the 2013 museum.

On 5/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, Brandon Pea said:

I hope it includes a grocery store along with a hall for Mayor Freck. 

A grocery store would of course be nice, too. But I think that it's more likely that we're getting some non-food shops for that set for inside the city - and then a supermarket as a seperate set. And honestly said, I personally would prefer a big supermarket as a stand-alone set over a small grocery store since I already own that grocery store from the Creator 3 in 1 series which goes very well with City buildings.

Having seen that new police minifigure some time ago, I bet that the set Maxentius described or another City set this summer has to include some sort of building with a breaking-in function and something to steel - so a museum or a jewelry (a bank is unlikely since there's already one in the police theme - although it's absolutely minimalistic).

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Thank you all for the information on the upcoming summer sets! :classic:

Here are my thoughts:

I really don't understand why the Airshow hasn't the 4+ logo on it since this set is extremely <insert that tiresome argument>. :thumbdown:

In comparison to it, the 4+ Airport looks like a Creator Expert set. Its building looks unfinished. But there are much more detailed and accessory included than in the regular airport set. So for sure a nice set - but I won't buy it. :thumbup:

The plane in the regular Airport looks great - I really like it that it has a different style and color in comparison to the big passenger planes of the last two decades. The car-loading-function is something new and nice, too. Plus we're getting a new steward torso print. But the car looks too Creator-ish. And the airport building is only a bad joke. So although the plane itself is great, all in all the set as complete is imo maximum average. :sceptic:

The Diver Polybag is a great opportunity to get the new, amazing stingray and the coral piece for a fair price. :thumbup:

The 4+ Submarine is ok, but nothing for me. :classic:

Although the Submarine is for my taste a bit too huge, I really like it - esp. that it looks completely different to the 2015 one. The included minifigs are great, the glow-in-the-dark fish coming out of the rock is a nice and funny addition and the coral reef looks fantastic. :wub:

I'll wate for more detailed pics - mainly of its interior - to judge the Underwater Base. ???

But imo the best set of all here mentioned so far is the Research Ship. Yes, it's a pity that it consists of two boat hulls. And for 130 Euros the shipwreck definately had to be more decent. And I would have prefered a whale over a big shark. But apart from these points of critics it's fantastic: The big shark looks great, there is a huge bunch of different minifigs included, there is so much accessory plus many different vehicles and there seems to be a quite decent interior to the ship, too. :wub:

So although I already own the 2015 submarine and search vessel, I plan to buy this year's ones because they offer so many new and great aspects and elements.

Btw: I'm curious about whether there'll be an exclusive Maritime Research set this year. Last years, the research theme always got one (2014: arctic plane + arcitc ice breaker, 2015: underwater base, 2016: vulcanoe research heavily helicopter, 2017: jungle heliplane, 2018: arctic plane, 2019: rocket transport). So I think it's likely. What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

56 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

A grocery store would of course be nice, too. But I think that it's more likely that we're getting some non-food shops for that set for inside the city - and then a supermarket as a seperate set. And honestly said, I personally would prefer a big supermarket as a stand-alone set over a small grocery store since I already own that grocery store from the Creator 3 in 1 series which goes very well with City buildings.

Oh how I wish you were on here more often. You bring up such excellent points. I think a standalone grocery store is even better. Lego actually did well with the Kwik E Mart years ago for The Simpsons. Perhaps Lego should take influence from that for the City Food Market. 

56 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Having seen that new police minifigure some time ago, I bet that the set Maxentius described or another City set this summer has to include some sort of building with a breaking-in function and something to steel - so a museum or a jewelry (a bank is unlikely since there's already one in the police theme - even if it's absolutely minimalistic).

Assuming that police man in the newest promo is an upgraded version of Duke Detain, I wonder if that gives us a hint into what next year's police wave is going to be centered around. Looks like it has something to do with special forces. 

18 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Assuming that police man in the newest promo is an upgraded version of Duke Detain, I wonder if that gives us a hint into what next year's police wave is going to be centered around. Looks like it has something to do with special forces. 

I bet that TLG released the picture showing pilot, diver and the new Duke Detain to show their customers which sets / themes there are in summer. Imo it wouldn't make sense to put there a minifigure (in this case the new Duke Detain) inside when it will firstly appear next year. So, like already mentioned, I bet that one of the since now unknown City summer sets will include some sort of museum or jewelry break-in in which that new minifigure will fit in. That then there'll be more special forces stuff coming next year, is imo unlikely, bcause the main action (break-in) at that time had already been released. If you asked me, I would say 2021 will see a water police or another prison island theme in winter, a construction side (and of course Great Vehicles) in spring and jungle explorers and coast guard and some civlian stuff in summer. But of course these are only my guesses and I might be wrong.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

6 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I bet that TLG released the picture showing pilot, diver and the new Duke Detain to show their customers which sets / themes there are in summer. Imo it wouldn't make sense to put there a minifigure (in this case the new Duke Detain) inside when it will firstly appear next year. So, like already mentioned, I bet that one of the since now unknown City summer sets will include some sort of museum or jewelry break-in in which that new minifigure will fit in. That then there'll be more special forces stuff coming next year, is imo unlikely, bcause the main action (break-in) at that time had already been released. If you asked me, I would say 2021 will see a water police or another prison island theme in winter, a construction side (and of course Great Vehicles) in spring and jungle explorers and coast guard and some civlian stuff in summer. But of course these are only my guesses and I might be wrong.

Lego still has unsold police sets from last year and one from 2017 that is still in stock. We've also just recieved the classic police wave this year. So my hope is that there WON'T be a police wave for 2021. But I already know that hope is down the drain. I hope the updated Duke DeTain is part of a town mega set like the Doughnut Shop Opening. 

Overall, I'm setting low standards for the 2021 City wave. Other than the guaranteed police, explorers and gear vehicles waves (which are synonymous with City nowadays), I'm not really expecting anything else. Though I do hear that Coast Guard is supposed to come back. Same with a new trains wave. 

Once Mountain Police came out in 2018, I began to catch on to City's criminal plot (pun intended). I've noticed that usually following the Classic Police year, they follow up with a subtheme centered around the Sheriffs (forest, swamp and mountain) and before they do the classic police year, its usually an emphasis to one side of the police force (elite, prison island and sky). 

So with that being said, I'm looking at a police wave centered far outside the city limits most likely based in a nature area. The artic police or desert police hasn't been done yet. Personally, if they absolutely HAD to do some police sets next year, I'd recommend making more sets for the classic police wave. Perhaps producing a grocery store heist set or a police bus - which we didn't get this year. I'm also rooting for a police boat. 

I'm also placing bets on an industrial related subtheme like Miners or Demolition. I hope they bring Harbor back next year. 

Otherwise, we have our great vehicles, summer town sets and summer explorers sets. The two former being among the only things keeping me glued to City nowadays. This is coming from someone who has a table town. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

6 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Same with a new trains wave. 

Isn't the trains subtheme on a 4 year cycle: 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022? Although I do notice some inconsistencies like the train station coming in 2007 instead of 2006 and just not existing in 2018. :( And the cargo trains are also off-track kinda: 2006, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015. :thinking:

30 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Would it be too much to ask for City to do another Octan gas tanker next year? 

lego-tank-truck-set-3180-15.jpg

spin_prod_785973612??hei=64&wid=64&qlt=5

in the series i saw the 2nd tank truck, probably we´ll get one

I hope we get more food trucks in 2021 to go with things like the Ice Cream Truck and Pizza Truck.