Great Ball Pit

[GBC] Sawtooth (BW2019 Workshop Module)

Here is my version of the BrickWorld Chicago 2019 Workshop Module.  It is a jigsaw style stepper and uses a Power Functions M motor.  The motor and powertrain are built in such a way that they are supported by the main drive axles which is quite interesting.  It is mostly studless Technic which is a departure from the BW series of modules.

sawtooth_wm_03.jpg

Nice video, 

At the very beginning of the video there is a very brief (1 sec) view of a green rotary ball control gate.

Appears to have a swing section hanging down.

Do you have any details (or link)  of this as I have tried without success so far to devise a rotary gate to limit the number of balls moving whist blocking any from up stream until rotary gate returned back to the loading position.

Would be ideal for my rope ball lift module.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Doug72

Hi Doug, all of the clips in my intros are taken from full length videos available on my YouTube channel.  That intro has "Morgan's Mine", "Tilt-Shift" and "Solaire".  If you are talking about the Minecraft module, it's based on GBCRamps which was designed by Brian Bonahoom.  Instructions available here: http://www.greatballcontraption.com/wiki/GBCRamps  I did build something similar called Inclination which can be seen here: https://youtu.be/B5RKMy1Ubj4

Edited by Great Ball Pit

@Great Ball Pit  

The ball control gate I required will be gravity operated & rotated by the descending ball rope lift platform to transfer balls and then returned by counter weight as ball lift rises again. I am using this part to carry 15/16  balls per cycle which meet GBC ball rate OK.

LEGO Slope Curved 6 x 8 x 2 Double (45411 / 56204)

It is used upside down so that curved segments can be added on the underside to block excess balls in inlet hopper from entering to rotating gate untill the next transfer cycle.
Found it impossible to attached curved segments to the underside of other 1/2 cylinder version. (45410)

Built a test rig to check it works OK and set how many balls the rotating drum has to carry each time.

48061214652_c408f2c75d.jpg

48061215132_235760ae24.jpg

48061164718_56c497a34c.jpg

48061117096_8ac40ed90d.jpg

48061165748_9e6b353316.jpg

Edited by Doug72

On 6/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, Great Ball Pit said:

Here is my version of the BrickWorld Chicago 2019 Workshop Module. 

I'm really sad I missed this this year ... Great work looks great

I built the sawtooth module. An in the instruction it mentions an alignment tool but no where can I find out what that is or even where to get or build it - any thoughts or suggestions 

image.png.c5b67c7f74800545e7a51fffd18c5a59.png

So, build this tool, put the center section of the saw tooth in the UP position, this tool will slide in from the bottom, hold it in place as you attach the motor and gears sub assembly....

BW 2019 GBC Alignment Tooljpg.jpg

Edited by Sam_F

There are a bunch of other great mods for this module that people have come up with.  I have done the 20T bevel gear reduction mod.

I am currently building the sawtooth module and the PDF file ends at the part where it tells you to use the alignment tool. I do not know if this is just my technical issue, but I can't find the rest of the instructions for building the input bin. Where is the rest of the instructions?

9 hours ago, Igetzhappy said:

I am currently building the sawtooth module and the PDF file ends at the part where it tells you to use the alignment tool. I do not know if this is just my technical issue, but I can't find the rest of the instructions for building the input bin. Where is the rest of the instructions?

U can download part2 from my bricksafe. Its missing on greatballcontraption.com

https://bricksafe.com/files/dunes/tips/Sawtooth_part_2.pdf

Thanks so much!

21 hours ago, Igetzhappy said:

12 hours ago, dunes said:

U can download part2 from my bricksafe. Its missing on greatballcontraption.com

https://bricksafe.com/files/dunes/tips/Sawtooth_part_2.pdf

Thanks!