shadefoundry

[MOC] Better 76022 Sentinel

So recently I got my hands on the torso and head piece from the terrible looking sentinel in 76022. I wanted to put something together that was larger and more accurate than the original, but not as large as @I Scream Clone's wonderful moc since I don't have the space for something of that size.

48016036387_5ba374cce9_z.jpg

I based it off of the design from this image, since the print seemed closer to that design than the traditional one.

Criticism and suggestions are welcome. I'll upload images of the finished model when I have the physical parts. :classic:

Edited by shadefoundry

I don't know what the original model looks like, but that looks good, proportions are alright compared to the reference art. I can't imagine any minifg wouldn't be menaced by that haha

Maybe add a plate to the inner thighs so they don't look so flat.

8 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

I don't know what the original model looks like, but that looks good, proportions are alright compared to the reference art. I can't imagine any minifg wouldn't be menaced by that haha

Maybe add a plate to the inner thighs so they don't look so flat.

For reference, the original model looked like this:

41PkCVzqlgL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

For even more reference, the original model isn't particularly accurate to any version of the sentinel from comics or films. It comes closest to the version from Days of Future Past, but even then the face print is in the wrong color on the wrong colored piece.

Edited by shadefoundry

Yeah, the original was very...lackluster. Not bad necessarily, but not great. Personally I think those pieces for the fingers are too big, but your other choices are the part the original used, or its counterpart with the tube ending, so what you have is probably the best. The knees and shoulders on yours are a huge improvement.

I'd echo the comment above about the thighs--would it work better to use the ball joint pieces on a double-sided snot brick, pointed downwards? That way you'd avoid needing a 2x gap between the legs, without altering the overall proportion at all.

Overall, though, a great start at a smaller size sentinel. :thumbup:

Edited by rodiziorobs

On 6/17/2019 at 11:03 AM, rodiziorobs said:

Yeah, the original was very...lackluster. Not bad necessarily, but not great. Personally I think those pieces for the fingers are too big, but your other choices are the part the original used, or its counterpart with the tube ending, so what you have is probably the best. The knees and shoulders on yours are a huge improvement.

I'd echo the comment above about the thighs--would it work better to use the ball joint pieces on a double-sided snot brick, pointed downwards? That way you'd avoid needing a 2x gap between the legs, without altering the overall proportion at all.

Overall, though, a great start at a smaller size sentinel. :thumbup:

I was originally playing around with the smaller pieces with the tube ending, which looked a bit smaller than I would like and couldn't hold a minifig, so I had to settle for what I've got now. It would be nice if there was a piece somewhere in-between those but sadly we don't have one just yet.

I've been messing around with the thighs a bit, since I probably don't have the most ideal version for them. It just needs some tinkering I think to get them looking right.