Calabar

Missing files in the LDD Official Sets topic

I move here the discussion born in the LDD Official Sets topic.

Preamble.
The LDD Official Sets topic have some issues and because of that many indexed LXF files are not available for the download. At the moment the main problems are:

• Some pages are not accessible (surely page 185 and page 170, maybe some other page), due to some unknown problem with the new forum. Solved for pages 185 and 170 (Thanks, Jim!). Please report here if the problem should happen for other pages.
  • Some direct links to LXF files has broken due to the (intentional?) "instability" of this kind of link in some hosting services.
  • Old files shared as forum's attachment are not available anymore, due to the limitations of the attachment in the new forum.
  • Some contributor decided to remove the files from their hosting space or move them without fixing the links in the forum.

As this subject often arises inside the LDD Official Sets topic, I created this place where to discuss about these problems and request missing files.

Edited by Calabar

Trying to access the file for 76042 S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, but cannot get page 170 to load beyond a blank screen.  Is anyone else having similar hiccups?  Could someone who isn't maybe re-post the info if allowed?

@robncat12

Unfortunately it is a known and unsolved problem (and not only for page 170). The transition to the new forum seems to have brought some unexpected issue.

@robncat12

I've an almost complete local backup. Unfortunately if the page is not accessible at all I can't see the file's name, so I've some trouble finding it! :grin:
I tried a fast search with no results.

@M2m

The matter is not trivial. This is a forum-related archive, and in the past we discussed about using an external system to manage the index and the database.
The main problem is how to manage the contributor access to the archive. At the moment every contributor have the task to maintain his/her creations in a private hosting space. A public hosting space would require some kind of authentication, maybe integrated with the user account of this forum, but such kind of integrated system is not available.
I know it is not the best of the situation but, at least, it is easy to manage.

@Calabar

How big is the backup? Maybe when you index it gets rehosted on a eurobricks specific bricksafe and given a consistent name like *Set Number*_*Set Name*_*Creator*? that way there are no issues also to resolve the broken pages, perhaps if such a solution existed we could also open a new thread to keep the index going without the issues. 

Edited by Calabar
Large quote removed

1 hour ago, Calabar said:

Unfortunately if the page is not accessible at all I can't see the file's name, so I've some trouble finding it! :grin:

Well, the posts’ contents ought to be somewhere in a database on the machines.  And someone ought to have access to the machines.  Therefore extracting the raw data ought to be possible.  Not easy to retrace but possible :devil_laugh:

@SylvainLS

Surely true, and I already asked about accessing single posts. Unfortunately it seems it requires some technical skill that the main staff can't provide me at the moment.
Anyway I think that the problem should be solved, the LDD Official Sets topic is not probably the only thread with these problems and it seems that ever more pages are involved in it.

@supertruper1988

The backup is a bit "chaotic", rename the file and index them would be a huge work. Maybe a "zipball" could be shared, but in the past the idea was discarded.

@Calabar

But this could exactly work with github. We ask ppl to put their creations on github and then there is a master git which is maintained by forum admins. As part of the maintenance admins could put ppls creations into the master github.  

Edited by Calabar
Large quote removed

@M2m

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems there are some critical issues using GITHUB:

• It is not possible to use Forum's user accounts. Create a new account elsewhere could be a significant hindrance for new contributors. Besides they should use their forum's username, or it would be difficult to understand who is who.
  • Some admin have to manage user's LXF files inside GITHUB. This is a huge extra work for admins, considering that files are often updated by users and the present solution allows them to do that independently.
Edited by Calabar

The main reason I had asked in the other forum was I realize the work involved in trying to dig it out of the background of a webpage, but was hoping someone who had downloaded it could possibly re-up.

@Calabar I appreciate you trying to find it in your archive.

@robncat12
I just realize I made a copy of page 170 from webarchive some time ago. So I could find the filename and then the file. Here it is: click.
(very strange I didn't find it before... maybe the oldness :grin: ).

14 hours ago, Calabar said:

@M2m

Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems there are some critical issues using GITHUB:

• It is not possible to use Forum's user accounts. Create a new account elsewhere could be a significant hindrance for new contributors. Besides they should use their forum's username, or it would be difficult to understand who is who.
  • Some admin have to manage user's LXF files inside GITHUB. This is a huge extra work for admins, considering that files are often updated by users and the present solution allows them to do that independently.

1) Yes thats correct. But aren;t user anyway linking to external sites for lxf already (brickstore, mocpages,  etc)  where another, non-forum  account is necessary ?

2) OK I get that point.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, Calabar said:

@SylvainLS

Surely true, and I already asked about accessing single posts. Unfortunately it seems it requires some technical skill that the main staff can't provide me at the moment.

Luckily, the main staff can provide that at the moment :laugh:
(sorry it took so long, but I will take a look now)

On 3/30/2019 at 10:12 AM, M2m said:

@Calabar

But this could exactly work with github. We ask ppl to put their creations on github and then there is a master git which is maintained by forum admins. As part of the maintenance admins could put ppls creations into the master github.  

We don't want to use Github for this. We are looking into a better solution. One which integrates better with other Eurobricks functionality.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:38 AM, SylvainLS said:

Well, the posts’ contents ought to be somewhere in a database on the machines.  And someone ought to have access to the machines.  Therefore extracting the raw data ought to be possible.  Not easy to retrace but possible :devil_laugh:

Using the API I can see that content has been returned from the server. Now I need to look into the reason of not rendering it.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:45 PM, robncat12 said:

Trying to access the file for 76042 S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier, but cannot get page 170 to load beyond a blank screen.  Is anyone else having similar hiccups?  Could someone who isn't maybe re-post the info if allowed?

Looking at the result in that post, the Helicarrier might actually be the cause of the problem. Let me see if I can get a link to the file.

Here you go

76042 - S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier

Here is the complete post:

Finally it's here; I present:

76042 SHIELD Helicarrier - Theme: Marvel Super Heroes; Avengers - LXF file

The%20SHIELD%20Helicarrier%20klein.png

[Brickset][BrickLink][Peeron]

Errors:

• Due to an collision, both of the side panels aren't fully closed.

Missing prints:

Missing stickers:

Missing stickers!

19 hours ago, Calabar said:

@robncat12
I just realize I made a copy of page 170 from webarchive some time ago. So I could find the filename and then the file. Here it is: click.
(very strange I didn't find it before... maybe the oldness :grin: ).

Ahhh I missed your post :tongue:

I probably have found the issue. Due to several large posts (very very very very very much empty markup), the maximum response size is probably exceeded. I have cleared four big posts and now the page does show content.

These posts all happen to be made by @vean :tongue:

I will try to repost the content without the massive amount of markup.

Page 170 has been fixed.

Page 185 currently (after editing some posts) has less bytes in its response than 170 but it's still not displaying :hmpf_bad:

Got the page up-and-running again. Not sure why the breaking had issues.

Page 185 has been solved as well. Too bad, it took the better part of my Sunday, but at least we got rid of the issue....before the start of the F1 race today.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

Too bad, it took the better part of my Sunday

That’s dedication!

Thanks for your work!

1 minute ago, SylvainLS said:

That’s dedication!

Thanks for your work!

Part of the "job" :tongue:

Glad it has been solved :thumbup: