Johnny1360

Proper Layering of Baseplates

So I am trying to build a moc and I want to put it on a 48x48 baseplate, since I have never done this before I am unsure on how to properly layer it. Anyone who has tried it probably notices that the baseplate tends to bow as you add layers. 

Is there some special method for doing this with minimal bowing? I have tried alternating grid patterns  of different patterns, different lengths of plates and sizes, no matter what I do it just gets worse as I add layers. So are there any tips or special techniques to do this properly. Any help would be appreciated, like I said I am totally new to this, most of my MOCs are vehicles or stand alone buildings. Thanks for reading. 

12 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

So I am trying to build a moc and I want to put it on a 48x48 baseplate, since I have never done this before I am unsure on how to properly layer it. Anyone who has tried it probably notices that the baseplate tends to bow as you add layers. 

Is there some special method for doing this with minimal bowing? I have tried alternating grid patterns  of different patterns, different lengths of plates and sizes, no matter what I do it just gets worse as I add layers. So are there any tips or special techniques to do this properly. Any help would be appreciated, like I said I am totally new to this, most of my MOCs are vehicles or stand alone buildings. Thanks for reading. 

It depends what you're trying to do and how flexible you can be - I like to use bricks in between layers of plate because they provide more horizontal stability.  If you absolutely must strictly use plates stacked up, I'm not sure how you prevent this.

Totally flexible in how I go about it, would shorter bricks with a tight grid be better or longer bricks with a more open grid or solid layer of short or long bricks, just wondering how others go about it. Overall thickness doesn't really concern me just need something rigid enough to pick up without having all my structure breaking loose. I guess I should add there will be minimal terrain pretty much flat. Thanks for the quick response @Chorduroy

Edited by Johnny1360

It's not the baseplate:laugh:

Build a long wall out of two or three levels of 1x2 bricks and it will bend up. It is due to the slight differences in dimensions of the bricks. 16 1x32 bricks are not the same as 32 on the baseboard. There are a couple of ways of handling it. You could put paper pieces periodically on the upper row and it will push it back down. Design to have gaps in the structure thereby avoiding long walls. You have to experiment.

Yes I have noticed, the studs on a 16 long plate are longer than the same 16 studs on a base plate, which is what causes the base plate to bow up in the center. I guess they do that to counteract the issue you explain with the 1x2 Brick wall. The problem I am having is the more layers of plates I add the more the center of the 48x48 base plate bows up. I have tried several different ways of compensating for this like making an open grid pattern of smaller plates also tried longer plates, in between layers nothing seems to work. Curiously I can achieve decent results if I just don't use a base plates. I will try it with bricks inbetween the base and upper plates, if that doesn't work I will just shit can the base plate altogether. Since it is quite obvious the stud spacing isn't the same as the plates. 

Thanks for all the help, I guess I was just hoping there was some trick to it. 

Another alternative is to glue or double sided tape the baseplate to a flat board.

As much as I hate to admit that is probably a good idea. I have tried countless methods so far and the best luck I have had and what I am going with is to use bricks on the baseplate then plates. Something everyone else probably already knew. I tried total coverage and various grid patterns, the one that seems to work best is a grid pattern 4 studs with a brick then 4 empty studs using an alternating pattern of blank studs and filled studs each row, like a checker board. Then cover with plates, it still bows like crazy, I can almost slip a full plate under the middle of the 48x48 baseplate. Hopefully the weight of the build will counteract this effect, at least plates aren't randomly popping loose when I push it down applying other bricks and plates. 

So I will probably end up gluing it to a board in the future, hopeful it doesn't eventually bow the board as well. I am liking these big flimsy baseplates less and less. I do like using it for a building mat though, just not finding it very useful incorporated into a build. 

Edited by Johnny1360

If you use a thin strip of double sided tape in the corners, they are relatively easy to remove again if that type of thing worries you.

I have had some success compartmentalizing large builds using smaller baseplates (16x16, or 32x16) and lining the edges with Technic bricks to connect them with friction pins. Usually the bowing effect on the smaller plates is negligible, and you can connect on top of the seams with regular bricks/plates/tiles okay. (probably not long bricks like 16x1 though--they tend to cause all kind of tolerance issues). You end up with, in effect, a thick baseplate, but you can put SNOT bricks around the outer edge to add decoration later.