Hi guys!

My name is Gabor, 27, i'm a medical doctor in Hungary. I am new to EB and a total beginner as a designer. Well, not quite, since i have been obsessed with LEGO during my childhood. I have returned a few months ago and I'm having a BLAST. Bought a few sets last month to refresh my invertory. 

I have decided to post about my first "offical" building project. I am planning to make regular updates here. It's the Aston Martin One-77 in black, planned to be built from about 3000-3500 parts. Cosmetics and the scale in general are very important for me.

Some info about the real car: it's a front-engine 7.2 liter V12 with a 6-speed automatic gearbox in the rear. Only 77 models were built during the production years (2009-2012). In it's time, it was the fastest and most expensive street-legal supercar with a naturally aspirated front engine, producing 750 bhp. The design quickly became my favorite of all times. 

The main inspiration of this model was the magnificent Aston Martin DB11 by @Jeroen Ottens . I have used his instructions to build most of the chassis, as the two cars are very similar in dimensions and i have much to learn about that.
There will some major modifications because of some differences between the two cars:

-the One-77 has a 6 speed transmisson, so i am planning to get rid of 2 gears.
-it has a cantilever suspension with pushrods, both in the front and rear. I have to come up with something for the front axle.
-the DB11 has 4 seats, but the extra space in the rear will be necessary because of the battery box and all the motors.
-this model will contain some modified or non-LEGO parts, as the black color not the best option to work with when you have the latest LEGO Technic supercars.

Here is the progress i have made with the back so far (pics are not the best quality):

IMG_20190306_224645IMG_20190306_224820IMG_20190306_223249IMG_20190306_225639IMG_20190306_223329

Custom chromed GT3 wheels are on the way.
I want to build the huge front grill from ~50 chrome silver 2412b tiles, still looking for them on Bricklink, since it's an expensive part and I need them in a good condition.

I'm planning to use power functions lights, but the rear has a contiguous line of lights. To illuminate the whole thing i have come up with the idea of using LEGO's fiber optics cables (x400c12, x400c20) by mounting them behind the tiles. However there is already limited space there because of the spoiler's lifting mechanism.

IMG_20190306_203727

Video of the spoiler and suspension: 

I would really appreciate any input. Thanks for reading.

Welcome on EB!

Chunky bit for a first project, but according the pics and the video, it goes quite well.  It is very ambicious on the subject of lights too. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. :wink:. (sok sikert!) :sweet:

Looks amazing, I like how it actually has real mechanisms like a gearbox and engine, not just motors inside of a pretty body.

Maybe you could replace the black 1x2 bricks for the rear tail lights with some sort of black modified brick/plate 1x2, which will hold the fibre optic cable in place.

the orange 42083 bugatti chiron gear shifters will also make the gearbox much more compact along with blue 20 tooth clutch gears

Edited by SNIPE

18 hours ago, Vincze Gabor said:

IMG_20190306_223249

Great project!

Are the rear wishbones attached to the springs with connectors? I think it would be better to use a 5l liftarm instead. Now the connection is not 'locked', if I read the image correctly.

@Didumos69 i attached a pic of the original suspension, and i think i could copy it quite well. Everything is locked where the real parts should be. The springs are placed horizontally in a fixed position (the yellow part can be seen on top). I wish i could explain it better, but my english is not the best. I will take some more pictures soon. I considered to use a 5l liftarm, but the connectors and the 3l axle imitate the original pushrod better imo. 

Btw i have admired your work for months now. Same goes to @Attika , means a lot reading comments coming from you guys.

19cb62570f95cbcef4292b803c25780b.jpg

53 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Looks amazing, I like how it actually has real mechanisms like a gearbox and engine, not just motors inside of a pretty body.

Maybe you could replace the black 1x2 bricks for the rear tail lights with some sort of black modified brick/plate 1x2, which will hold the fibre optic cable in place.

the orange 42083 bugatti chiron gear shifters will also make the gearbox much more compact along with blue 20 tooth clutch gears

Thanks man, awsome idea regarding the black parts. Browsing Bricklink has quickly become an addiction for me haha.

45 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Great project!

Are the rear wishbones attached to the springs with connectors? I think it would be better to use a 5l liftarm instead. Now the connection is not 'locked', if I read the image correctly.

:sweet: You are right, but let me take the hit. My pushrods on the devil have the same issue. I've even confessed it. However, I had a good reason, based on geometry. Nothing else fits there. These connections tend to be strong enough to do the job. If the one who "handles" it familiar with it's build, then it won't be a problem. If it is given to a toddler, then the pushrod is the least of the concern. :grin: 

While in this case the setup could be replaced by a 5L liftarm, -as I see it- the wishbones are in their lowest position, so there is no way it comes apart. (I guess...)

For the record: The devil's pushrods can be pulled apart just by pulling the wheel downward with a considerable force. :look: 

14 hours ago, Vincze Gabor said:

@Didumos69 i attached a pic of the original suspension, and i think i could copy it quite well. Everything is locked where the real parts should be. The springs are placed horizontally in a fixed position (the yellow part can be seen on top). I wish i could explain it better, but my english is not the best. I will take some more pictures soon. I considered to use a 5l liftarm, but the connectors and the 3l axle imitate the original pushrod better imo.

I saw the yellow springs and I understand what you're talking about. The whole setup looks solid and 'form-locked', I only found the pushrod to be friction-locked. It's a matter of taste I guess. One could also argue that imitating the original suspension would mean a one-piece push rod, but your interpretation is perfectly okay too. And like @Attika said, the wishbones are in their lowest position, so it probably won't come apart easily.