Sign in to follow this  
greg3

Help with shaping flextube

Hi

i'm looking for any advice/tips on shaping flextube. I need quite a complicated shape which I can get the tube into but it then slowly springs back. I'm considering heating/cooling or maybe as a last resort even trying to put wire inside it. Has anyone any experience of trying this or have any better solutions? 

Thanks in advance!!

I have not personally done it but many have put wire in the tube so it will hold it's shape better. Something else that also works is to submerge it boiling water to heat it up so it becomes more malleable, however I would be hesitant to do this as it could possibly damage the tubing. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Wire really is the best solution, with the right gauge wire, you can thread it in and shape the tube, then once you are finished you can straighten the tube and pull the wire out if you want.  

The only time I've had to do that, I bent it over parts (slowly & step by step with a hair dryer, if the bending is too pronounced and you risk pinching the tube), then I put it in the fridge.

I wonder why Lego hasn't released wired tubes yet.. (maybe because dumb kids would get them into their eyes?)