Sign in to follow this  
M2m

BrickIt Script for Maya

Found this on Vimeo (it’s not mine)

BrickIt Script: gumroad.com/l/BrickIt  

BrickIt will allow you to build quickly and easily Lego models in Maya

19 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Does this use the ldraw Library?

Presumably not directly, but the parts sure look like they were created using the LDraw versions as reference, considering how low-res they appear. In fact I tend to think that if one were truly keen on using Maya and producing detailed high-res renders, you'd model things like wedges or Technic panels as SubDs or based on NURBS curves, not polygonally.

Mylenium

On 12/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, Mylenium said:

Presumably not directly, but the parts sure look like they were created using the LDraw versions as reference, considering how low-res they appear. In fact I tend to think that if one were truly keen on using Maya and producing detailed high-res renders, you'd model things like wedges or Technic panels as SubDs or based on NURBS curves, not polygonally.

Mylenium

I am pretty sure it's LDraw data maybe here and there optimized. It would be insane to model everything from scratch. But I haven't checked it yet. It's a nice concept but finally not as flexible and good like Mecabricks. Well, it's a good start for a method directly in Maya.

Modeling a part library is a huge part for one person. Nicolas Jarraud got more and more support over the years but he's also doing most of the models and for the decorations we have one member in the community doing an insane good job. The problem with LDraw data is that they don't support textures and not everything is perfect. And it has some limits due to its proprietary data format. For lots of special parts he's using a 3d scanner for basic references to retopologize.

The only "issue" with Mecabricks data is that Nicolas decided in the beginning to use low-res parts for WebGL and kept on using it for all the other parts. In 2015 after we got in touch he started to implement features for rendering. His advanced addon has a feature to add real bevels and use a subivision modifier but that will not work with everything properly. The only solution would be to recreate a new set parallel but that's again a huge task. Overall the models work very well but at close ups or hi-res renders you'll recognize the limitations.

I can live with that because the final render quality and possibilities with Blender are unique with a lot of potential for the LEGO community and ... TLG. ;-)

Edited by Renderbricks

On 12/26/2018 at 3:51 PM, Renderbricks said:

The problem with LDraw data is that they don't support textures and not everything is perfect.

Sure, but isn't that the problem to begin with? Everyone is just relying on the dated LDraw stuff and there seem to be no efforts being made to actually come up with something new...

Mylenium

On 12/26/2018 at 3:51 PM, Renderbricks said:

The problem with LDraw data is that they don't support textures and not everything is perfect.

There's texmap for textures right?