Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

Question ... Pf motor drive single axle

I know I've seen it done so I know it's possible but I was wondering if anyone else has done it.   

Basically I was planning on using only one side of it to make a 0-4-2 switcher but it's super short and the valve gear needs to be where the front wheel is(if left in the stock motor space) my question is do you think this would cause diminished pulling power to the extent it won't pull short cars? 

If your connecting rods are sturdy (And quartered correctly!!), it shouldn't give you any trouble at all. I've got a 2-8-0 that runs with a single powered axle and it performs just fine. I can't say it seems to have diminished the pulling power in the slightest.

29 minutes ago, Daedalus304 said:

If your connecting rods are sturdy (And quartered correctly!!), it shouldn't give you any trouble at all. I've got a 2-8-0 that runs with a single powered axle and it performs just fine. I can't say it seems to have diminished the pulling power in the slightest.

Thanks good to know! 

17 hours ago, Daedalus304 said:

If your connecting rods are sturdy (And quartered correctly!!), it shouldn't give you any trouble at all.

I can confirm that. Even my heaviest and most powerful engine (3 L-motors, 2.2 kg engine weight) runs fine with just one axle driven directly by the motors, the other ones being coupled by the connecting rods.

19 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

When you say PF motor do you mean an M, L or XL motor driving a single axle or the PF train motor?

Originally was thinking the pf motorized truck  ...