Waterbrick Down

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars RPG - Game Development

D6 success-counting system reminds me of Shadowrun. Sounds solid to me, WBD, but I think (taking another cue from that system) the number of successes you get beyond confirming the hit should increase damage, otherwise the system's going to boil down to who can attack most often.

I like it, especially the row idea. Simple, visual, and explains a lot. Question for that: moving. Could a PC move to a free spot if a fellow quest member was in the way? Does that cost movement points or an action? Also, diagonals valid targets?

I agree with CMP's post of increasing damage.

Another question is if there is leveling, where you can spend points into attributes, what happens when people reach such high success numbers it's essentially 100% guaranteed to be a success? Are more dice added to the pool?

6 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Another question is if there is leveling, where you can spend points into attributes, what happens when people reach such high success numbers it's essentially 100% guaranteed to be a success? Are more dice added to the pool?

If we are using this dice pool system, Shadowrun's way of dealing with that is called a limit, which basically caps how many successes you can get (but not how many dice you can roll). It's extrapolated off all your other stats, so perhaps something like the average of your level and weapon proficiency? It can't be increased directly, but it does scale slowly over time. 

Edited by CMP

26 minutes ago, CMP said:

If we are using this dice pool system, Shadowrun's way of dealing with that is called a limit, which basically caps how many successes you can get (but not how many dice you can roll). It's extrapolated off all your other stats, so perhaps something like the average of your level and weapon proficiency? It can't be increased directly, but it does scale slowly over time. 

Ah ok, that makes sense.

I've got a problem with the system already, and it's nothing to do with the numbers, but the visual aide. It's going to chew through store space on certain sites, and with Flickr now limiting pictures and not storage space, and Photobucket basically exploding, it's going to get fill up storage space fast. :sceptic:

3 hours ago, CMP said:

D6 success-counting system reminds me of Shadowrun. Sounds solid to me, WBD, but I think (taking another cue from that system) the number of successes you get beyond confirming the hit should increase damage, otherwise the system's going to boil down to who can attack most often.

Yeah, that's the downside of just go with success vs failure. I wanted to avoid calculating a bunch of numbers and potentially having super high rolls, but if that can be curtailed using limits, I think that'll work.

3 hours ago, KotZ said:

I like it, especially the row idea. Simple, visual, and explains a lot. Question for that: moving. Could a PC move to a free spot if a fellow quest member was in the way? Does that cost movement points or an action? Also, diagonals valid targets?

I agree with CMP's post of increasing damage.

Diagonals would be valid targets. I'm thinking movements would cost an action and PC's can move through fellow party members. Regarding leveling up, CMP mentioned limits, but I also thinking either increasing the cost of points for leveling up attributes, or increasing the number of combats for a level up are both valid ways to slow the progression, plus with a dice pool system, the average roll is usually 50% of your dice pool. So in order to get a roll of say 10 consistently you'd need at least 20 dice and even then you'd have a chance of still not making the roll.

3 hours ago, CMP said:

Exactly, that way DM's/the game has 5 different ways that rolls can be affected:
Increase/decrease the number of successes required
Increase/decrease the pool limit
Increase/decrease the die roll that counts as a success (typical is 4-6)
Add static modifiers that give or take away successes
Allow a certain number of dice to be rerolled

I actually didn't realize they were individual images and not a template. :blush: Whoops.

6 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

I've got a problem with the system already, and it's nothing to do with the numbers, but the visual aide. It's going to chew through store space on certain sites, and with Flickr now limiting pictures and not storage space, and Photobucket basically exploding, it's going to get fill up storage space fast. :sceptic:

How so? I'd imagine we're still going to recommend people use thumbnails for the enemies. The aid simply uses those thumbnails. If people don't want to use thumbnails they can simply use the below format from any spreadsheet program:

Enemy A Enemy B Enemy C Enemy D  
  Enemy E Enemy F Enemy G Enemy H

Hero A Hero B Hero C  
  Hero D Hero E Hero F  

Just now, Kintobor said:

I actually didn't realize they were individual images and not a template. :blush: Whoops.

:classic: No problem, people can still use the spreadsheet format if they don't want to use pictures.

53 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

WBD already mentioned spread sheets, but if you want to host photos, Brickshelf?

52 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Yeah, that's the downside of just go with success vs failure. I wanted to avoid calculating a bunch of numbers and potentially having super high rolls, but if that can be curtailed using limits, I think that'll work.

Yes, please no lots of numbers.:laugh:

Diagonals would be valid targets. I'm thinking movements would cost an action and PC's can move through fellow party members. Regarding leveling up, CMP mentioned limits, but I also thinking either increasing the cost of points for leveling up attributes, or increasing the number of combats for a level up are both valid ways to slow the progression, plus with a dice pool system, the average roll is usually 50% of your dice pool. So in order to get a roll of say 10 consistently you'd need at least 20 dice and even then you'd have a chance of still not making the roll.

Yay on the movement/targets. Increasing cost for everything makes sense, but we can't let it get out of hand like H1.0.

The dice pool is starting to make more sense now, I've never used it before.

So if we go with a system where in combat is (# of Weapon Skill Successes + Weapon Modifier) - (# of Damage Mitigation Skill Successes + Armor) = Amount damage done, then we'll need to ensure that hit points scale to some extent with weapon skills and the limits.

Starting Character:
10 Points, 2 starting Proficiencies, 5 HP
Additional Proficiencies cost the number being increased (i.e. to move a proficiency from 1 to 2 it requires 2 points, from 2 to 3 it requires 3 points, etc.)
Additional Hit Points cost 2 Points
Additional Attributes cost 2 Points

Attributes:
Strength (Every 2 = +1 HP, usually a requirement for kinetic weapons, and all armor)
Skill (Defensive stat for avoiding damage, rolled for initiative, usually a requirement for energy weapons)
Smarts (Every 1 = 1 new allowable Proficiency, number of spells known, usually a requirement for elemental weapons)

As far as magic goes, I'm thinking have basic spells where each spell has some options built into it that the character can choose to cast.

Elemental Evocation (Does Elemental HP damage = # Magic Proficiency Source (Arcana/Religion/Nature)Successes over the DC - Enemies Elemental Armor)
Elemental Bolt DC 1, Hits 1 square
Elemental Ray DC 3, Hits 2 connected squares
Elemental Cone DC 5, Hits 3 adjacent squares
Elemental Blast DC 7, Hits 9 adjacent squares

Healing Light (Heals HP = # Magic Proficiency Source (Arcana/Religion/Nature) Successes over the DC)
Sustaining Healing DC 1, 1 target
Plentiful Healing DC 3, 2 targets
Generous Healing DC 5, 3 targets
Masterful DC 7, 4 targets

There wouldn't be a limit to the number of times a spell could be cast, but spell casters would be rolling against a spell difficulty level instead of an opposed check.

Question on Smarts attribute: 1 new point allows 1 new Proficiency: Is that of a new different proficiency, or the same tree?

I like the magic idea.

5 hours ago, KotZ said:

Question on Smarts attribute: 1 new point allows 1 new Proficiency: Is that of a new different proficiency, or the same tree?

I like the magic idea.

New different proficiency. So everyone starts with 2 proficiencies at rank 1, they can spend their 10 points to increase those proficiencies, or spend 2 points to raise their Smarts attribute which allows them to now advance a 3rd proficiency to rank 1.

Looking back, since Smarts only effects spell casting and number of available skills, it may make sense to increase the number of starting profiencies to 3 or 4.

14 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Looking back, since Smarts only effects spell casting and number of available skills, it may make sense to increase the number of starting profiencies to 3 or 4.

Maybe 3? Depending on how many proficiencies are available at the beginning of the game.

20 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Maybe 3? Depending on how many proficiencies are available at the beginning of the game.

That might work. My initial list:
Short Range Weapons
Long Range Weapons
Artillery Weapons
Melee Weapons
Athletics
Acrobatics
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Arcana
History
Investigation
Nature
Religion
Piloting
Insight
Medicine
Perception
Survival
Deception
Intimidation
Performance
Persuasion
Technology

I'll take a look at the Persona system, but does anyone have any other ideas for magic limitations? Flipz has already talked about the Ether failings of the Heroica 1.0 system, where it effected starting mages significantly but was more an annoyance later on. We'd need something to limit its uses at all levels equally, but still allow Spell-casters to feel like they're progressing.

Couple other basic spells:

Transmute Matter (Converts 1 square feet of inorganic, non-hostile material a number of minutes = # Magic Proficiency Source (Arcana/Religion/Nature) Successes over the DC)
Convert object to Wood DC 1
Convert object to Stone DC 3
Convert object to Titanium DC 5
Convert object to Vibranium (or suitable expensive/super strong sci-fi material equivalent) DC 7

Elemental Binding (Restrains an enemy from acting a number of combat rounds = # Magic Proficiency Source (Arcana/Religion/Nature) Successes over the DC)
Hampering Hold DC 1, 1 target
Thwarting Hold DC 3, 2 targets
Irresistible Hold DC 5, 3 targets
Debilitating Hold DC 7, 4 targets

Quantum Transpositiong (Number of targets effected = # Magic Proficiency Source (Arcana/Religion/Nature) Successes over the DC)
Minor Transport DC 1, teleports allies to anywhere within sight or in combat to a different square of the caster's choice
Major Transport DC 3, teleports allies to anywhere in the surrounding location, teleports enemies in battle to different squares of the caster's choice
Planetary Transport DC 5, teleports allies to anywhere on the planet, teleports enemies in battle away from the field for 1 turn
Galactic Transport DC 7, teleports allies to anywhere in the current star system, teleports enemies in battle away from the field for 2 turns 

1 minute ago, Waterbrick Down said:

My first thought:
Short Range Weapons
Long Range Weapons
Artillery Weapons
Melee Weapons
Athletics
Acrobatics
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Arcana
History
Investigation
Nature
Religion
Piloting
Insight
Medicine
Perception
Survival
Deception
Intimidation
Performance
Persuasion
Technology

I'll take a look at the Persona system, but does anyone have any other ideas for magic limitations? Flipz has already talked about the Ether failings of the Heroica 1.0 system, where it effected starting mages significantly but was more an annoyance later on. We'd need something to limit its uses at all levels equally, but still allow Spell-casters to feel like they're progressing.

What's the difference between Inntimidation and persuasion, and athletics and acrobatics? I understand official definitions might not be concrete, but I guess just a basic idea/difference.

As for limitations on magic, maybe similar to Skill, Smarts, etc? It's an upgradeable attribute with similar price as the others, and anyone can use it when they unlock the Arcana proficiency or similar? That way instead of an automatic +1 ether eveyr level, it will slow it down and players can choose if they really want to be that magical heavy person, jack of all trades, etc.

If we want to go a completely different route for ether, maybe we have a system that pulls on HP instead? Although that seems like a better fit for a specific blood magic spell, which I would be totally down for.

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

What's the difference between Inntimidation and persuasion, and athletics and acrobatics? I understand official definitions might not be concrete, but I guess just a basic idea/difference.

As for limitations on magic, maybe similar to Skill, Smarts, etc? It's an upgradeable attribute with similar price as the others, and anyone can use it when they unlock the Arcana proficiency or similar? That way instead of an automatic +1 ether eveyr level, it will slow it down and players can choose if they really want to be that magical heavy person, jack of all trades, etc.

If we want to go a completely different route for ether, maybe we have a system that pulls on HP instead? Although that seems like a better fit for a specific blood magic spell, which I would be totally down for.

Intimidation is more forceful (not necessarily evil, but rough think Black Knight), persuasion is more diplomatic (think knight/paladin). Athletics is more feats of strength (breaking down a door, climbing a rope, swimming against a current), acrobatics is more dexterous (balancing along a wall, leaping away from a trap, eluding someone's grasp).

The trick is balancing for quest lengths. Heroica 1.0 never really had a fleshed out rest mechanic. If we severely cut back on potion/tonic (or their equivalents) availability or effectiveness then resting (to recharge health or mana) would become more of a necessity and thus something you could balance for. I do like the idea of it being a stat that people can invest in, instead of something that automatically increases. A few more ideas.

Have spell casting difficulty increase with each spell cast, i.e. have the spell-casting check increase by 1 each time the spell is cast. This would mean that high level spell casters can cast for longer without having to worry too much about their effectiveness, but it means that there is still a possibility to cast something even if its a very small chance towards the end of their reserves.

Cool-down timers dependent on combat rounds. Very basic spells can be cast every round, but the big powerful ones could only be cast every 3-5 rounds. This would of course limit spell casting to only combat unless non-combat spells were very simple.

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Intimidation is more forceful (not necessarily evil, but rough think Black Knight), persuasion is more diplomatic (think knight/paladin). Athletics is more feats of strength (breaking down a door, climbing a rope, swimming against a current), acrobatics is more dexterous (balancing along a wall, leaping away from a trap, eluding someone's grasp).

The trick is balancing for quest lengths. Heroica 1.0 never really had a fleshed out rest mechanic. If we severely cut back on potion/tonic (or their equivalents) availability or effectiveness then resting (to recharge health or mana) would become more of a necessity and thus something you could balance for. I do like the idea of it being a stat that people can invest in, instead of something that automatically increases. A few more ideas.

Have spell casting difficulty increase with each spell cast, i.e. have the spell-casting check increase by 1 each time the spell is cast. This would mean that high level spell casters can cast for longer without having to worry too much about their effectiveness, but it means that there is still a possibility to cast something even if its a very small chance towards the end of their reserves.

Cool-down timers dependent on combat rounds. Very basic spells can be cast every round, but the big powerful ones could only be cast every 3-5 rounds. This would of course limit spell casting to only combat unless non-combat spells were very simple.

Ah ok, those proficiencies make sense. As for rest and balance, I definitely think something like a bedroll would help, as would that Survival proficiency I gave a thought for. It might also be up to the QMs to make sure there are rest spots available?

Maybe the spell levels you mentioned earlier determine how often they can be cast? I'd say we could just have a list of combat spells and noncombat spells, like a flame to give light, etc.

As I try to read some of this stuff, a lot of it starts to sound like Dungeon & Dragons. As I was gifted with a fifth edition Player's Handbook and started to look over the rules better. I am thinking "Why just totally rip off another game system?" For some points or thoughts on other things...

For magic why not use a spell level system. For example a level 0 (or Cantrips) a dedicated magic user will only be able to use these spells, because they can spam an enemy or whatever else could be use with the spells. And then their is the level one through nine spells, so at level one you would get two spell slots and so you could cast the same spell twice or two different spells, before you would need to rest to recover the spell slots. Plus you could "buy" more spell slots as you level up or spell levels And even buy spells (or scrolls) in a shop. 

Another thing I thought of is for negative and positive status. "Why not rip off Pokemon on this?" Meaning you could only have one positive & one negative at a time. So you could not be poisoned, sleeping and frozen at the same time. But at the same time you can't be lucky, reinforced and blessed at the same time. Plus I was thinking some of the status cancel a different one out, for example you are frozen and get hit with a fire attack, you get melted but then you become burnt. 

31 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

As I try to read some of this stuff, a lot of it starts to sound like Dungeon & Dragons. As I was gifted with a fifth edition Player's Handbook and started to look over the rules better. I am thinking "Why just totally rip off another game system?" For some points or thoughts on other things...

For magic why not use a spell level system. For example a level 0 (or Cantrips) a dedicated magic user will only be able to use these spells, because they can spam an enemy or whatever else could be use with the spells. And then their is the level one through nine spells, so at level one you would get two spell slots and so you could cast the same spell twice or two different spells, before you would need to rest to recover the spell slots. Plus you could "buy" more spell slots as you level up or spell levels And even buy spells (or scrolls) in a shop. 

Another thing I thought of is for negative and positive status. "Why not rip off Pokemon on this?" Meaning you could only have one positive & one negative at a time. So you could not be poisoned, sleeping and frozen at the same time. But at the same time you can't be lucky, reinforced and blessed at the same time. Plus I was thinking some of the status cancel a different one out, for example you are frozen and get hit with a fire attack, you get melted but then you become burnt. 

I think that’s what H1 and H2 basically will be: complete rip offs and merging of various systems. Not that I disagree. 

For cantrips, I think something similar is where the dialogue is being led to, although I haven’t played DND in ages (shout out to CaptJohnPaul) so I’m not too familiar with how magic works in that system. 

As for your effects post, I think Flipz alluded to this. I really like your idea of frozen to melting to burning as an example for frozen to fire. I wonder if it might be too complicated, but if it could be used, I’m all in on cross “class” and such combos. 

14 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

I've played and DM'd 5th edition for the past 4 years, while the D&D spell system is nice, it's pretty weighty in terms of mechanics. Characters would need to worry about spell slots, spell levels, spells known, spells prepared, not to mention the ways spells are balanced between different saving throws. The ether system we had in Heroica 1.0 wasn't all bad as it restricted things to a single stat, it simply wasn't balanced for the entire player experience. Cantrips are OK, but they are typically balanced by being less damage than normal weapon attacks, which there isn't necessarily a great way to handle that in a dice pool system. I do like the idea of restricting positive/negative effects to only one condition at a time, that would definitely help keep things a little more manageable.

13 hours ago, KotZ said:

I think that’s what H1 and H2 basically will be: complete rip offs and merging of various systems. Not that I disagree. 

For cantrips, I think something similar is where the dialogue is being led to, although I haven’t played DND in ages (shout out to CaptJohnPaul) so I’m not too familiar with how magic works in that system. 

As for your effects post, I think Flipz alluded to this. I really like your idea of frozen to melting to burning as an example for frozen to fire. I wonder if it might be too complicated, but if it could be used, I’m all in on cross “class” and such combos. 

There's not much new under the sun, everything is going to be a rip off of something, the trick is to pick things that align with the goals of what the community would like to see. From my understanding that is:

Sci-Fantasy setting
Rules light
Easy to run from a GM's perspective
Allows players the ability to create unique characters without the restrictions of classes
More combat options than Heroica 1.0
Better balanced magic system than Heroica 1.0
Better skill system than Heroica 1.0

If those things can be addressed, I think the next iteration will be setup for success.

57 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

There's not much new under the sun, everything is going to be a rip off of something, the trick is to pick things that align with the goals of what the community would like to see. From my understanding that is:

Sci-Fantasy setting
Rules light
Easy to run from a GM's perspective
Allows players the ability to create unique characters without the restrictions of classes
More combat options than Heroica 1.0
Better balanced magic system than Heroica 1.0
Better skill system than Heroica 1.0

If those things can be addressed, I think the next iteration will be setup for success.

I think we're starting to get closer to quite a few of those.

1 hour ago, KotZ said:

I think we're starting to get closer to quite a few of those.

I'd agree. I think we've got everything pretty close except for the magic and combat system. The skills and customization seem straight-forward and the theme is wide enough to be generous to GM's. Keeping everything as intuitive as possible, should help keep the actual rules count down as well as making it easy on GM's to run things quickly.

45 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I'd agree. I think we've got everything pretty close except for the magic and combat system. The skills and customization seem straight-forward and the theme is wide enough to be generous to GM's. Keeping everything as intuitive as possible, should help keep the actual rules count down as well as making it easy on GM's to run things quickly.

I think your idea on combat, with the vitality points and dice pool is pretty good. It's definitely going to require playtesting though. For magic and spells, what if players could purchase spells?

A few of my takeaways from that last round of suggestions:

I like the grid-based row mechanic. I do think that there's a few interesting things you could do with it: say for example, if you have a melee hero move into the enemy grid, a hero on their other side can flank for an attack bonus. Or have some squares grant cover to ranged fighters. Or difficult terrain...that sort of thing.

I really really like WBD's progression system. I think individual spells should maybe be part of that progression.

But my main question is whether or not classes (or rather, what they do) should remain a thing. Things like buffing allies and debuffing enemies and whatnot. You shouldn't have to be a spellcaster to get to do cool stuff. All it really takes is a high proficiency.

But I'm kind of rambling and I feel like I can't really articulate what I'm thinking about right now, so I'm just going to provide what I think might be good edits/elaborations. :blush: Edits in orange.

Starting Character:
10 Experience Points, 2 Proficiencies at Rank 1, All Attributes at Score 1, 5 HP
Proficiency ranks cost EXP equal to the rank you increase to (i.e. to move a proficiency from 0 to 1 requires 1 EXP, 1 to 2 requires 2 EXP, 2 to 3 requires 3 EXP, etc.)
Attribute scores cost EXP equal to the score you increase to
Additional Hit Points cost 1 EXP
Additional Spells cost their listed EXP

Attributes:
Strength (A requirement for kinetic weapons and armor. Every point grants +1 bonus HP, and affects strength limit.)
Skill (A requirement for energy weapons. Every two points increase dodge and initiative, and affects skill limit.)
Smarts (A requirement for elemental weapons. Every point increases your maximum proficiency ranks and number, and affects smarts limit.)
Spirit (A requirement for spellcasting. Every point increases your maximum spells known and their potency, and affects spirit limit.)

Stats:
HP (5 + HP from EXP + Strength)
Initiative Pool (1 + Skill/2)d6, skill limit
Armor [Type]
 (Armor Mod + Skill/2)
Attack [Weapon] Test (Weapon Mod + relevant Proficiency)d6, [Weapon Attribute] limit
Proficiency Test (Relevant Proficiency)d6, smarts limit
Magic Test
(Relevant Proficiency)d6, spirit limit

Derived Stats:
Maximum Proficiencies (Smarts*4)
Maximum Proficiency Rank (Smarts*3)
Maximum Spells Known (Spirit*2)
Strength Limit (Strength*2)
Skill Limit (Skill*2)
Smarts Limit (Smarts*2)
Spirit Limit (Spirit*2)

Proficiencies:
Short Range Weapons (Pistols, shotguns, thrown weapons.)
Long Range Weapons (Rifles, snipers, bows.)
Artillery Weapons (Grenade launchers, rocket launchers.)
Melee Weapons (Swords, axes, clubs.)
Acrobatics (Flexibility, gymnastics. Ability: Jump Strike)
Athletics (Endurance, physical feats. Ability: Grapple)
Arcana (Enchantment, abjuration. Arcane Magic)
Computers (Electronics, software. Ability: Hack Machine)
Culture (Customs, translation. Ability: Identify)
Deception (Lying, misdirection. Ability: Feint)
Engineering (Mechanics, hardware. Ability: Weapon Boost)
History (Study of the past, knowledge. Ability: Adaptation)
Insight (Investigation, reading people. Ability: Spot Weakness)
Intimidation (Bullying, frightening. Ability: Demoralize)
Medicine (Health, medicine. Ability: Healing Injection)
Nature (Elemental, conjuration. Druidic Magic)
Occult (Necromancy, spirtism. Occult Magic)
Perception (Spotting, searching. Ability: Mark Target)
Performance (Dancing, singing. Ability: Mesmerize)
Persuasion (Negotiation, diplomacy. Ability: Encourage)
Piloting (Flying, driving. Ability: Drone Strike)
Religion (Divination, restoration. Divine Magic)
Sleight of Hand (Pickpocketing, lockpicking. Ability: Steal)
Stealth (Sneaking, hiding. Ability: Hide)
Survival (Hunting, tracking. Ability: Hunt Down)

Spells:
Elemental Beam (Arcana, Nature)
Cost to Learn: 2 EXP
Base DC: 2
Base Range: 1
Damage: Successes beyond DC, Elemental
Fires a beam in a straight line that deals elemental damage to all targets in a row, friendly or enemy. For every 2 by which you choose to increase the DC, the range increases by 1. 

Spell (and those abilities) are just examples. My other idea was, for damaging spells, doing a Spell Modifier like a Weapon Modifier and straight up targeting enemy Armor. But basically, I think we should tie the ability to do things in battle besides attacking into proficiencies.

The alternative is straight-up buying spells, which is another valid option.

Edited by CMP

I like these sugestions, especially for Spirit. Now, would Spirit be a starting attribute, or would it unlock after purchasing a magic-based proficiency? Also, the proficiencies and descriptions save some interesting ideas, like demoralize. I'm guessing that's a way to cause effects, like items would?