knotian

Nice article

Nice article, yes. But no mention of Kiddicraft and that "interlocking" with "studs" was already invented before the LEGO brick. I think the fact that LEGO just improved an idea and was not the sole inventor of the "binding brick" should be mentioned. Makes me a little sad... without Hilary Fisher Page and others we wouldn't have those wonderful pieces of ABS in our hands today :wink:

Edited by Capparezza

On 6/27/2018 at 3:15 AM, Capparezza said:

Nice article, yes. But no mention of Kiddicraft and that "interlocking" with "studs" was already invented before the LEGO brick. I think the fact that LEGO just improved an idea and was not the sole inventor of the "binding brick" should be mentioned. Makes me a little sad... without Hilary Fisher Page and others we wouldn't have those wonderful pieces of ABS in our hands today :wink:

I think one reason behind that omission in the article is that the author seems to mistake the patent for the "stud and tube" system for a switch from bricks that didn't snap together at all to bricks that did, when in reality the bricks before the stud and tube system could still interlock, just not as securely in as many ways.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think one reason behind that omission in the article is that the author seems to mistake the patent for the "stud and tube" system for a switch from bricks that didn't snap together at all to bricks that did, when in reality the bricks before the stud and tube system could still interlock, just not as securely in as many ways. 

And quite ironically, these days many parts use side notches instead of tubes/pins, which not only works as well but also gives more freedom (like, old vs new jumpers).

I don't think the "journalist" was mislead, it was either a lazy "I'll rephrase what's in this marketing pamphlet & call it an article", or it was simply sponsored (most likely the case, because a "journalist" would at least have made the basic investigation that googling is).

Edited by anothergol