doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

22 minutes ago, dunes said:

Nice improvments Doug.

Today I built the elevator module for the 1st time and added the mods U did in a different way.

Should I do a LDD files for the modded elevator? cos we have a different height than the original and added some other mods to it.

A file for the elevator mod at the height that matches the Rotary Dumper height should sufice.

Its easy to raise both in 4L steps using 4L gear racks.

Expect @Berthil will be applying the various Mods to his combined elevator / dumper module he has already built. 

I think that’s all the mods done now unless anyone else has any issues or problems.

I might have an issue with an M motor runnning slow in one direction, will recharge batteries and try again.
Might see if a L motor will fit on the train unit now that have put short trip bars on them.

Edited by Doug72

Just now, Doug72 said:

Expect @Berthil will be applying the various Mods to his combined elevator / dumper module he has already built. 

@Doug72 that's right :) I'll take your improved and excellent working rotator and implement it in my build and add other improvements you have identified if needed. I intend to use the shock absorbers as I have them already build in unless the rubber bands work better. Thanks to you both and I will of course make a video of the end result before going to LEGO World.

Three minor mods for the elavator that I forgot to mention !

A. The veretical 5L thin beam was rather flimsy and replaced by a 7L beam.

B. 5L beam replaced by a 7L thin beam as trip arm sometimes rubbed the 5L beam as the elevator rose and released the chock.

C. Trip arm altered so that it went in the recess when elevator at bottom and extra 2L axle added to the lever to wrap rubber band around to get improved tension.

29996758748_f99ee97de0_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72

thanks for that. 

800x600.jpg

would U see an improvment in movement if we replace the blue friction pins with non friction pins? less friction?

800x542.jpg

Edited by dunes

27 minutes ago, dunes said:

thanks for that. 

would U see an improvment in movement if we replace the blue friction pins with non friction pins? less friction?

I assume you mean the four small pully wheels,  They are only acting as guides and don't need to rotate.
I have changed them but no real difference.

Doug.

Thanks for testing it.

LDD and Stud.io file ready for Rotary Dumper Mod with Z56 T/T and rubberbands.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

15 hours ago, dunes said:

Mine is working too @Doug72 

Brilliant, great to see another one working well.

I see your train car has the same bumpy ride on & off the elevator, I'm working to improve  that.

Will check your latest LDD files today, suggest that earlier versions be removed to avoid confusion as which to use.

@Berthil Shocks V rubber bands - its six & two threes which you use - both versions work OK. 
I
My observations are:-

Shock absorber -
Takes up more space and has a complicated support structure requiring a thin L shaped spacer to adjust the trip arm correctly.
Possible an illegal Lego build as it distorts support framing slightly and can shift during prolonged running upsetting trip release arm.
Takes more force to cock the spring and slows dumper rotation down before trigger releases the train.
Requires a ballast box to balance dumper rotation.
High cost of shock absorber.

Rubber Bands -
Simple support structure without need for the thin L shape spacer and needs less force to cock trip lever with uniform dumper rotation speed.
Will work with only one rubber band but two better for redundency, quick & easy to replace bands without major strip down.
Ballast box not required.
Low cost for rubber bands.

Edited by Doug72

Having trouble looking at the Stud.io files.
Downloaded the Stud.io app for Mac OS but can't open file for Rotary Dumper Mod Z56 rubber bands.io
Do I have to register with Bricksafe before being able to open the files ?

Every time I double click the file it sends me to iBooks.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

Dont Double click.

Start Stud.io and then try to open the file. This works. Or right click on the .io file then choose Open with ...

All files with the Z28 T/T removed from my bricksafe. And I put all LDD and Stud.io in one seperate folder.

Edited by dunes

22 minutes ago, dunes said:

Dont Double click.

Start Stud.io and then try to open the file. This works. Or right click on the .io file then choose Open with ...

All files with the Z28 T/T removed from my bricksafe. And I put all LDD and Stud.io in one seperate folder.

Thanks I can now open the file OK.

Had to set up the right click on my mouse then right click the "Open with"  then select Launcher app.(1.0) and it opens in Stud.io

Edited by Doug72

Next step for me is the passing module, double crossover type with Z56 T/T and rubber bands.

Since the Lego double crossover 7996 is extremly expensive. used 70€ and up. I built one with 4x track switch, curves, flex tracks and some other parts. 

It take alot of space in realation to the Lego one. but I'll start with it.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I might build later this diamond crossing. need to order parts.

7 hours ago, dunes said:

Next step for me is the passing module, double crossover type with Z56 T/T and rubber bands.

Since the Lego double crossover 7996 is extremly expensive. used 70€ and up. I built one with 4x track switch, curves, flex tracks and some other parts. 

It take alot of space in realation to the Lego one. but I'll start with it.

I might build later this diamond crossing. need to order parts.

Good luck, it will be a challenging build but only uses 24T gears for the reverser units not Z56 T/T.  
Rubber bands for the reversers should work OK

I think the track layout can be made more compact, I will experiment with the tracks switches I  have.

I have some modified track switches which give a more compact layout.

The switch MOD should be on the Train Tech forum.

I built the siding module that allows two trains to pass each other.

The through module is also useful.

Tried your Mac tip and works OK.

Take a look at this website they do a compatible double crossover.

https://www.4dbrix.com/products/train/train.php

https://www.4dbrix.com/products/train/double-crossover/index.php

Update:

The diamond crossing parts are available @ USD 10.45 but will not connect to standard Lego switches.

A full set parts is €64.95 plus shiping from USA.

Edited by Doug72

@dunes I have to look in your bricksafe Akiyuki train folder to find the .lxf of the rotary dumper right? I'm looking for the final version that works best, preferably with shock absorbers but if the rubber bands work better I take that one. Am I too impatient, you still need to upload or am I looking in the wrong place? Nice buggy MoC by the way!

1 minute ago, Berthil said:

@dunes I have to look in your bricksafe Akiyuki train folder to find the .lxf of the rotary dumper right? I'm looking for the final version that works best, preferably with shock absorbers but if the rubber bands work better I take that one. Am I too impatient, you still need to upload or am I looking in the wrong place? Nice buggy MoC by the way!

Excellent, thanks!

I think I found my double crossover solution. found here on the forum

Needed parts: 4x switch tracks and a scroll saw or jigsaw.

I got 4x new switch tracks for less 4,50€ each on BL

WP_20140108_002.jpg.WP_20140108_003.jpgWP_20140108_005.jpg

Its twice as long but much cheaper. Will try it over the weekend. need to get a saw xD

1 hour ago, dunes said:

I think I found my double crossover solution. found here on the forum

Needed parts: 4x switch tracks and a scroll saw or jigsaw.

I got 4x new switch tracks for less 4,50€ each on BL

Its twice as long but much cheaper. Will try it over the weekend. need to get a saw xD

I thought the same but it won,t work. There has to be a cross over configuation in order to work as per Akiyuki video.

The switch blades have to fixed in a particular way to operate as per Akiyuki video., the switches are not moved by the two reversers, Try in on paper and you see what I mean.

The spring loaded switch blades are forced open by the train in one direction and are set to run the train in other direction when it is reversed.

re Saw, a modellers razor saw, with fine teeth,  is the best for cutting lego track., watch your fingers as they are very sharp, I have scars to prove it!

Edited by Doug72

your right Doug.

3 ways are fine but the 4th wont work.

then back to diamond crossing.