My current fleet of 5-wide cars below, they are all-opening (hoods/bonnets, all four doors, rear hatch/trunk door) they are all four-doors (when applicable, the minivan is 3 doors)

and seek to emulate the look of standard regular family cars we see on the streets, I don't care much for fancy exotic cars, I am trying to specialized on dorky regular family production cars (mostly following a 70's or 80's design)

Some of them are lacking an interior, some have an interior, but I am still waiting for parts to create the seats and panels and steering wheels, as of June 2018.

uOgzy7l.png

Model 1 - "White 1972 Ford LTD" - November 2017 - my first 10-wide car, it emulates a typical large American sedan from the 70s.

Model 2 - "Red 1986 Opel Kadett" - December 2017 - my second try went for a late 80's compact fastback European style car, that ended up looking a bit like a Kadett (with a hint at an Audi Quattro rear). I eventually created alternative sedan and station wagon rears for that red car, and these rears can still be easily switched, making the read fastback a 3-in-1 "transformer" model! I leave it in the sedan configuration now because I have a separate hatchback and a separate 

Model 3 - "Yellow 1981 Toyota Corona Station Wagon" looks a lot like a station wagon version of the Red Fastback, but with a higher, bulkier front and a longer rear.

Model 4 - Blue Fastback - an almost exact copy of Model 2, made to look a bit simpler, like a base model.

Model 5 - Tan-Brown minivan - just made it a few days ago and it's in early prototype stage, I intend to extend it 2 studs and make a better rear and roof. 

MulYdTX.png

OD1RLWD.png

9JeBY8M.png

hdWc9wi.png

7vIIrmS.png

UdWRb51.png

OeL6bYF.png

V84bagP.png

OKvUiFU.png

OtxKY7o.png

V1rzFbO.png

YAkzY2T.png

The red version of the fastback has a gray streak in the C column, ending at the corner roof slope

livfULb.png

BgtAMUj.png

nNMTE68.jpg

iNznQE3.png

uQbdu0e.png

TUKmxKL.png

Eu2yCZE.png

There is also my 16-wide motorized remote controlled (all-opening) white sedan

TsEk5YA.png

But I'll leave it for another thread!!!

mopc, these are charming. It's a great idea to build three separate rear ends for the red car - I think the fastback is the best version. Out of all the cars, though, the minivan appeals to me most. I see in most of the cars, you've left a 1-stud gap so that the doors can open. Are you going for playability or for good looks? If I had built these, I'd have closed the gaps.

Considering the large scale of these models, would they be better suited to the Special LEGO Themes forum?

Those are all great builds.  I like the red station wagon and the white sedan the best.

Yes the gaps are for easy opening of front doors. I have also built a version of the red fastback with no gap - but opening the front door was cumbersome.

I don't know much about these forums, moderators are free to move this thread to Special Themes forum, I don't even know where that is.

2 hours ago, jamesn said:

mopc, these are charming. It's a great idea to build three separate rear ends for the red car - I think the fastback is the best version. Out of all the cars, though, the minivan appeals to me most. I see in most of the cars, you've left a 1-stud gap so that the doors can open. Are you going for playability or for good looks? If I had built these, I'd have closed the gaps.

Considering the large scale of these models, would they be better suited to the Special LEGO Themes forum?

You also have to wait a few more weeks/months until I get all the parts for the interiors, so far very spartan

They looks really good indeed. The modular rear pieces are almost genius! Detailing and colours wee also spot on. Excellent work.:classic:

What nice vehicles. I would say these are model team builds. Fill those gaps in, you can open the doors through the gap where the doors wind screen would be. My favourite is the van.

H

You were right about the gaps, it is possible to fill them with those tiny panel pieces, so that the front door does not conflict with the rear door hinge bulge.

Take a look, plus my new hatchback models

White large sedan, now without door gap and with a B-column (middle column)

yYt0TdT.png

FSscSdD.png

the front was a bit changed too, the grille

QD4CFsc.png

gyF6PYn.png

Red 3-in-1 model now gapless, here in the station wagon version:

XhHJH0M.png

Blue fastback, gap-free baby

bdKcOmu.png

b9J479A.png

ZlQa8AD.png

New white 2-door hatchback

T1IHYI1.png

xIYMTXt.png

tsMZNfz.png

the only one with engine so far:

JFUC5P3.png

Black 4-door version - notice this is the first one to have been created gap-free from the start!

Q2WOoLU.png

GxaoIOU.png

Z6jKipv.png

8051JRL.png

oWuBZV6.png

The van was stretched a bit

MCkppch.png

cmTrv7t.png

VbdtRPk.png

The old yellow station wagon is still gappy, because I don't have yellow panels. But the front and the roof have been improved

5bRNPB8.png

HB8r5gX.png

I'm not in the mood of opening a new thread so I'm posting my video of my brand new 18 stud-wide four-door REMOTE CONTROL car baby!

Finally my childhood dream came true! I'll improve it with new features, this is just a simple prototype, for me to learn how these things work.

Love these models. Now what you could do is make the black and white saloon a Police car, the brown van could be made into an ambulance or some sort of common delivery van that people might see (maybe DHL, UPS or Amazon). The yellow estate car is screaming at me to be one of those american ambulance's of back in the day. Of course you maybe need more parts but you have a nice range to "build on" Lol.

Your larger model is great but you will more than likely need the L motor or the XL Motor and mount the receiver so the top just pokes out (like a bump on the head) and the AA battery pack. I'm sure you will do it.

H

Edited by Horace T

Yes, it's a prototype, what would the advantage be with the L or XL motor?? I don't know anything

10 hours ago, mopc said:

Yes, it's a prototype, what would the advantage be with the L or XL motor?? I don't know anything

I'm no expert engineer but you need to consider the weight of the vehicle when deciding on motors. The M motor is too small, from what im seeing you need a step up. A larger motor will cover you if and when you add more to it.

H