vclarke

The Flinstones (LEGO ideas)

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a good look at what this project will be going up against:

Just my two cents FWIW...

Embraer.....nice enough but nothing special, recoloured City plane

Blackbird.....too military

Treehouse.....too big/expensive (and possible clash with 4000026 Tree of Creativity?)

Arcade.....another modular, no precedent in Cusoo/Ideas

Stitch....Disney license sorted, cute and cult character makes this a serious contender

Amelia Earhart...for so many reasons (more subject than model), this will pass review and end up on shelves.

Science Theatre...interesting model but limited appeal

AAS....existing licence and possibly issues with size/cost

BMW bike....gorgeous but again complexity/cost may be to much (also no licence with BMW in SC theme)

Flintstones....lot of retro cartoon appeal points, and as a one-off Ideas, may be easier to approve in light of the (apparently even if I didn't see it personally) poor Scooby Doo theme sales.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Treehouse.....too big/expensive (and possible clash with 4000026 Tree of Creativity?)

While I agree with most of your other assessments, I still think the Treehouse project has some chance, as a finalized product (if it were approved) could be easily shrunk to a more sellable size that differs only a little from the original project. Personally, I just really want to see an original idea come out of this review.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

BMW bike....gorgeous but again complexity/cost may be to much (also no licence with BMW in SC theme)

Not Speed Champions, but there was this for Technic:

Brickset - 42063-1: BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While I agree with most of your other assessments, I still think the Treehouse project has some chance, as a finalized product (if it were approved) could be easily shrunk to a more sellable size that differs only a little from the original project. Personally, I just really want to see an original idea come out of this review.

I should have added this was by far my favourite too (shades of Ewok village) and completely agree re originality. I'm encouraged by both the recent OFS and SIB models in this regard (albeit the latter getting a lot of flak for the shrinkage/compromise from original submission) both of which I never thought would get approved, particularly after the poor sale of the original Maze.

Stitch would be another WALL-E and Amelia is this year's Women of NASA - both easy to green-light. I just suspect/fear Flintstones will suffer from a split-vote when it comes down to it.

Flintstones set is a full set. Excellent for collection, playable, perfect to match with lego artic, or jurassic why not. 

And one of the best cartoon ever! 

Growing up in the 2000's I use to watch The Flintstones so the appeal is there for both AFOL's and TFOL's/young AFOL's. If the project gets approved I would love to see them take the creative liberties and add The Great Gazoo and possibly a saber tooth tiger (given they now have the mold for one) Not sure about the rest of you but if it got approved I would rather see it be $100 or even a little more and include as much as possible since it will most likely be a one set license then it be cheaper and not include all that it could. Love how the designed included Dino as well. 

I'm torn between Flintstones and MST3k. Flintstones has more mass appeal and I could see it be made over MST3k as it has more niche appeal, though like I said I'd buy either one that comes out. 

I’m a much bigger fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 than I am of The Flintstones, and as such I’d much rather see the former project approved as a set, but I acknowledge MST3K is more of a niche-appeal franchise than the mass-appeal Flintstones. I also think that while The Flintstones could benefit from special new molds à la The Simpsons, Andrew Clark’s beautiful project elegantly demonstrates how well the characters can work with conventional minifigures for the humans and a brick build for Dino. The MST3K project’s creator has done about as outstanding a job of representing the characters in LEGO using extant parts as I suspect is possible, but the limitations of non-custom parts mean Crow (and to a lesser extent, Tom, but mostly Crow) is just really, really tough to nail with any detail at minifigure scale - either he’s going to be so simplified as to be tough to recognize, or he’s going to be wildly oversized compared to the other characters.

But LEGO does have some extraordinarily talented builders who could hopefully prove me wrong on that. Even if not, and the set wound up with a much-oversized Crow, I’d still love it if it looked as good as this still does. But I just don’t think it’ll happen.

The Flintstones is more likely, and while I’m not as crazy about the franchise, I do think the creator has done a sterling job of recreating the show in brick, and deserves all the recognition. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing that project approved.