vclarke

The Flinstones (LEGO ideas)

I hope so too... Loved this show as a kid (still do...)

From a licensing point of view it should be ok, the Flintstones home featured in the Lego Dimensions computer game (you could time travel to the future and visit the Jetsons or the past and visit the Flintstones).  It just depends on what other ideas it has to go up against.

I’m not sure if this project will pass the review because it would obviously need new mold head pieces for each character. Other than that, the rest is great.

9 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I’m not sure if this project will pass the review because it would obviously need new mold head pieces for each character.

Nah, I think Lego could perfectly get by without specialized heads, primarily to stay within the aesthetic the Scooby Doo theme had set. Otherwise, they'd be just hideous looking. 

14 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Nah, I think Lego could perfectly get by without specialized heads, primarily to stay within the aesthetic the Scooby Doo theme had set. Otherwise, they'd be just hideous looking. 

I disagree. The Flintstones characters using standard minifigure heads would just look dull and unattractive.

44 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

I disagree. The Flintstones characters using standard minifigure heads would just look dull and unattractive.

But what's the point? Not only do specialized heads look wrong geometrically paired with the rest of a minifigure's other body parts, minifigures of human characters with such heads look like aliens alongside normal figures. It's all about compatibility, ya know? :sceptic:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But what's the point? Not only do specialized heads look wrong geometrically paired with the rest of a minifigure's other body parts, minifigures of human characters with such heads look like aliens alongside normal figures. It's all about compatibility, ya know? :sceptic:

LEGO could design new-mold torsos for their minifigures. For example, a 2x2 barrel-chested minifigure torso with standard arms. Can you picture that?

4 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

LEGO could design new-mold torsos for their minifigures. For example, a 2x2 barrel-chested minifigure torso with standard arms. Can you picture that?

That’s quite a leap for an Ideas set, let alone a regular licensed set. The cost of four new theme-specific parts would drive the price up or push the piece count down. They didn’t even do that for Mr Incredible, despite the game showing a new torso. 

20 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

That’s quite a leap for an Ideas set, let alone a regular licensed set. The cost of four new theme-specific parts would drive the price up or push the piece count down. They didn’t even do that for Mr Incredible, despite the game showing a new torso. 

I meant outside of LEGO Ideas.

5 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Certainly, just as long as parts like that more resemble bricks and less like that torso design used for Mr. Incredible in the videogame. If Lego is going to make new minifigure parts for different body types, they should at least try to design them so they can be used beyond their intended purpose, relying primarily on printing for finer, signature detailing.

Actually, I really do hope this project passes the review! LEGO has partnered with Hanna-Barbera before with Scooby-Doo, so why not The Flintstones?

To me, it is just yet another TV show diorama. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know. They have chosen quite a few now. I wonder if sales of Scooby Doo sets will influence their decision. If they sold well, then maybe it helps this project whereas if the sales were less than expected it could hinder its chances.

Just now, MAB said:

To me, it is just yet another TV show diorama. Whether that is good or bad, I don't know. They have chosen quite a few now. I wonder if sales of Scooby Doo sets will influence their decision. If they sold well, then maybe it helps this project whereas if the sales were less than expected it could hinder its chances.

They didn't, as far as I know

On 27/04/2018 at 10:25 AM, Robert8 said:

They didn't, as far as I know

I see this repeated a lot but I’m not convinced.

With the exception of the large haunted house set, the rest of the sets were literally sold out very quickly, particularly the Mummy, Lighthouse (favourite) and of course, the Mystery Machine. 

Also, 3 TV specials (Knight Time Terror, Haunted Hollywood, and Blow-Out Beach Bash) don’t reflect a line/theme that sold poorly.

39 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

With the exception of the large haunted house set, the rest of the sets were literally sold out very quickly, particularly the Mummy, Lighthouse (favourite) and of course, the Mystery Machine. 

Also, 3 TV specials (Knight Time Terror, Haunted Hollywood, and Blow-Out Beach Bash) don’t reflect a line/theme that sold poorly.

Scooby Doo theme was #9 in just2good's "Top 10 Worst-Selling LEGO Themes" video, and he said we got info from his sources to make the rank

The Scooby Doo theme as a whole may not have sold well, but in my local LEGO store they had trouble keeping the Mystery Machine on the shelves for a good bit.

Edited by x105Black

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

All Scooby Doo sets were easy to get in the UK, and went to clearance in supermarkets.

9 hours ago, Lucarex said:

I agree with this! After spawning only one wave of five sets in 2015, we got two straight-to-DVD movies in 2016 and 2017 respectively. I really hope LEGO Scooby-Doo makes a comeback one day.