Sign in to follow this  
Juxtapoisson

Old/New Train compatability

Hello,

My wife has some of the old train sets.  Metal track that conducts electricity, like an HO set.

Obviously the new plastic track doesn't conduct electricity, and would prevent an old train from engaging.

Other than that, are the tracks compatible?  Can plastic track be connected to metal track?  Can new engines run wirelessly on the metal track?  Can old train cars roll on plastic track?

For clarity, are all of the plastic track train stuffs compatible with each other?

Thank you.

Hello

The new PF trains and are compatible with the old tracks since the power comes from the train itself (battery box). Basically all questions can be answered with yes, it's just the 9V motor (with the metallic wheels) which isn't compatible with the new tracks. Today's trains are backwards compatible.

Hi, welcome to trains!

Everything train-related LEGO has ever made has remained the same size, and so the tracks are physically compatible with each other, and any rolling stock will be able .

Newer train sets run on Power Functions, or PF, where a battery box on board the locomotive provides power to the motor, via an Infra-red receiver (or probably Bluetooth in the upcoming trains) for control. These trains will run on whatever LEGO track you like, even no track (but they'll go everywhere).

The older trains ran on 9V power, provided by a separate controller plugged between a wall socket and the track, and the train picked up it's power from the metal track as you say. They had no power source on board, just a motor, so these trains will only run on the metal tracks.

I hope that helps.

2 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

They had no power source on board, just a motor, so these trains will only run on the metal tracks.

Good summaries above.  I'll just add the obvious:  You can convert the old sets and put in PF components (or at least re-build something similar with integrated PF), but regardless all of the track, gauges, etc. are compatible.

As with anything else Lego, you'll also find some folks that are still die-hard 9V fans and other folks that have gone the other way... and both have pros and cons.  Biggest con for sticking with 9V at this point is simply availability of the track.  If you don't care and feel like going the PF route, you can make a pretty penny by selling your 9V track and replacing it with much less expensive plastic track.  :wink:

One more obvious thing to state, but as an employee of a Lego Store I have found that I must belabor this point on occasion. Duplo train track is NOT compatible with regular Lego System train track.  I have had purchasers return Duplo or Lego track saying they "weren't told that the two types are incompatible". Just FYI ...

also, the plastic PF track and 9V track are compatible with the old 4.5v and 12v track, but the connections are not the most stable, and simply require you to take the 2x8 railroad tie with 4.5/12v track on top and use a 2x4 plate to connect it with your PF/9v track. As long as your trains aren't running too fast, and the transition isn't in a curve, this works great