Digger of Bricks

What Would You Want to See from a Revival of the Racers Theme?

Racers is one of those themes during my dark ages so I have no nostalgia for it. (I did have the 1998 RC car however)

Also the larger vehicles aren't my interest now, that includes Technic & Creator Expert.

However I would love to see a Lamborghini done in the Speed Champions line. 

2 Lamborghini Racers were done in 2009/2010 but 14-wide.

Overall, more cars that are a max of 6-wide, with room for 2 passengers next to eachother could be cool to see, a lot more jumpers, tiles, and panel pieces were made over the recent years.  (could be done in City/Creator as well)

I know car MOC's are one of the most common categories out there, but seeing more normal street cars could still be nice as a sub-theme of Speed Champions.

After doing some research, pullback motor technic cars are still being produced at 2 per year 2013 all the way to 2019.

RC cars have been made multiple times recently as well, 2 in technic 2017(1 being a 6x6 large truck), 2018 had the RC batmobile, 2019 has another RC off-road tracked technic vehicle.

So really the main thing Racers had were the actual Racetrack sets, the rest has been covered since.

Edited by TeriXeri

Frankly, I just hope Speed Champions continues.  It's all I ever wanted in a Racers theme as a kid; I never liked the wacky cars in the Drome, Technic, Tiny Turbos, or World Racers subthemes; the large Ferrari and Lamborghini models were nice for their time but were too big to fit in my town and relied too much on stickers; and I wanted to see more well built, realistic, real-world cars like the minifig-scale Ferrari Formula One cars.  I also wondered why Lego never did any real-world/Town racecars besides Formula One cars - why not NASCAR, Le Mans, etc. - and now they're showing up in Speed Champions.

The only original Racers theme I'd like to see would be a line of cars inspired by the circuit bosses from the original Lego Racers video game.

I think the idea that "Speed Champions should have been a Racers subtheme" doesn't mean all that much, considering how much of the theme/subtheme structure we AFOLs use is stuff we come up with ourselves, not stuff LEGO uses internally. For instance, in the AFOL community, Kingdoms was never marketed as a part of LEGO Castle — it was its own separate take on the medieval genre, same as how Alpha Team, Agents, and Ultra Agents (all of which we tend to treat as separate themes) are separate takes on the spy genre.

Sites like Brickset already treat World Racers as a subtheme of Racers, even though it was never marketed as such. There's no reason they couldn't do the same with Speed Champions, except that the way such sites are structured, treating a multi-year theme as a subtheme usually precludes breaking it down into even further subcategories.

And with regard to the variety of licensed and non-licensed sets that used to be a part of LEGO Racers, LEGO still produces many of those same types of sets that used to be branded as Racers. It's just that now they're embedded in other themes with more closely related building styles like City (modern-day, play-oriented minifig-scale racing cars/trucks/bikes), Creator (more build-oriented car, truck, and bike sets at various scales, with or without minifigures), and Technic (rugged pin and beam based vehicles with realistic functions like steering, suspension, and electric or pull-back motors).

While it's true that the Racers theme was a long runner, it was also incredibly disjointed for many years with its confusing mish-mash of different scales, building styles, degree of realism vs. fantasy, licensed vs. non-licensed sets, brand-specific vs. generic subject matter, and degree of character-driven storytelling. And this kind of disjointedness and lack of cohesion can take a toll on a theme's overall popularity or how well it resonates with people, as LEGO found in the past with the disconnect between Knights' Kingdom II's constraction-based and minifigure-based set and character designs. So I think breaking it up between themes that the sets were more conceptually compatible with was probably a good call on LEGO's part.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

And with regard to the variety of licensed and non-licensed sets that used to be a part of LEGO Racers, LEGO still produces many of those same types of sets that used to be branded as Racers. It's just that now they're embedded in other themes with more closely related building styles like City (modern-day, play-oriented minifig-scale racing cars/trucks/bikes), Creator (more build-oriented car, truck, and bike sets at various scales, with or without minifigures), and Technic (rugged pin and beam based vehicles with realistic functions like steering, suspension, and electric or pull-back motors). 

While it's true that the Racers theme was a long runner, it was also incredibly disjointed for many years with its confusing mish-mash of different scales, building styles, degree of realism vs. fantasy, licensed vs. non-licensed sets, brand-specific vs. generic subject matter, and degree of character-driven storytelling. And this kind of disjointedness and lack of cohesion can take a toll on a theme's overall popularity or how well it resonates with people, as LEGO found in the past with the disconnect between Knights' Kingdom II's constraction-based and minifigure-based set and character designs. So I think breaking it up between themes that the sets were more conceptually compatible with was probably a good call on LEGO's part.

Good point, but at the same time, not every idea for a subtheme that fits under the Racers umbrella can be as easily rehomed under other preexisting themes. For instance, many have noted in the past how the City theme has become a foster home of sorts for exploration-based genres that would have otherwise been found under the umbrella of action/adventure themes. It's a good solution for the mean time, but not quite perfect, as City's modern realism limits the context of such sets.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Good point, but at the same time, not every idea for a subtheme that fits under the Racers umbrella can be as easily rehomed under other preexisting themes. For instance, many have noted in the past how the City theme has become a foster home of sorts for exploration-based genres that would have otherwise been found under the umbrella of action/adventure themes. It's a good solution for the mean time, but not quite perfect, as City's modern realism limits the context of such sets.

Sure, but I suspect that if LEGO wanted to make a more fantasy/adventure oriented racing sets again, they would simply do like they did with World Racers and launch them under a totally new theme name. In the meantime there's nothing wrong with the more realistic sorts of racing sets being in themes like City, Creator, Technic, and Speed Champions where they fit in rather comfortably.

I also suspect the I think the lack of a fantasy/adventure oriented racing theme in recent years probably has a lot to do with not wanting to infringe on Ninjago's turf, since it's become a fairly stable home for fantasy and sci-fi influenced versions of modern racing cars/bikes/boats, and much more successful at that than Racers or World Racers ever were.

I don't get the sense that the City "exploration/research expedition" subthemes have ever been intended as a substitute for themes like Atlantis, Space, or Adventurers, but rather a way to appeal to parents' growing interest in encouraging STEM-related play. After all, there were plenty of adventure-oriented Town subthemes like Launch Command, Divers, and Arctic back in the 90s, often even existing alongside themes like Space and Aquazone.

Other people have also raised the possibility that the City Mining sets might be intended to take the place of underground themes like Power Miners, but the bigger purpose they seem to serve is taking the place of Construction/Demolition sets every six years so popular vehicle types like excavators and tipper trucks can be released in a context that doesn't feel so repetitive.

To be honest, it surprises me that so many AFOLs have been worried about City subthemes taking the place of stuff like Atlantis and Power Miners, considering how back when they were new, themes like those were attacked by many AFOLs on this very site for being too cartoonish and unrealistic.

Edited by Aanchir

On 1/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, Aanchir said:

To be honest, it surprises me that so many AFOLs have been worried about City subthemes taking the place of stuff like Atlantis and Power Miners, considering how back when they were new, themes like those were attacked by many AFOLs on this very site for being too cartoonish and unrealistic.

Well, for me, I definitely welcome both approaches, just not at the possible expense of the latter for a prolonged period of time. :sad:

On 1/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, Aanchir said:

Sure, but I suspect that if LEGO wanted to make a more fantasy/adventure oriented racing sets again, they would simply do like they did with World Racers and launch them under a totally new theme name. In the meantime there's nothing wrong with the more realistic sorts of racing sets being in themes like City, Creator, Technic, and Speed Champions where they fit in rather comfortably.

Since this subject was brought up concurrently over at another discussion topic, I'll just quote myself from there:

Kinda as with LEGO Space, I'm always perplexed by so many fans' response to anyone proposing the revival of an older playtheme, as many jump to the presumption that the suggestion of such means bringing that line back as it was verbatim. When I started that topic on reviving Racers in the Special Themes subforum, it was exclusively under the personal lamentation of mine that Racers was more of a multifaceted umbrella theme, whereas Speed Champions had set itself up under only one particular niche. Yes, much of Racers' offerings over the years were definitely inferior to the quality and design of most of TLG's more recent offerings; but, I do solely admire Racers for its City-like subtheme structure rather than its actual offerings.

Again, going back to @Aanchir, he does makes a solid case for Racers' nonexistence currently, as many of its subthemes make themselves more at home under other preexisting themes; but still, I guess I'd kinda wish to see Speed Champions become a part of something a little bigger, as it really can't fit under any other preexisting theme. 

I think, like I said, I'm cool with having an racers umbrella theme but I'm also fine with how it is now. However, again, like I said, if I had to choose, personally, I would rather had more In-house theme than a restructuring to have another umbrella theme. Again I'm cool with both.

That said, still, if racers do return anyway, I would wish to have the illegal street racing aspect of tiny turbos reincorporated into minifig scale vehicles like speed champions. Kinda why I loved tiny turbos in the first place. And maybe to fit in the umbrella theme into this, there could be Racers - Speed Champions & Racers - Streetburners. However, I'm not sure whether this would be a good idea as would it clash with Speed Champions or City Police? Still, one can dream, right?

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

1 hour ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

That said, still, if racers do return anyway, I would wish to have the illegal street racing aspect of tiny turbos reincorporated into minifig scale vehicles like speed champions. Kinda why I loved tiny turbos in the first place. And maybe to fit in the umbrella theme into this, there could be Racers - Speed Champions & Racers - Streetburners. However, I'm not sure whether this would be a good idea as would it clash with Speed Champions or City Police? Still, one can dream, right?

If you think about the naming of both themes, they do imply pretty much the same thing. So, who's to say Speed Champions couldn't eventually evolve into Racers' true spiritual successor by someday expanding their horizons beyond minifig-scaled licensed automobiles? :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

If you think about the naming of both themes, they do imply pretty much the same thing. So, who's to say Speed Champions couldn't eventually evolve into Racers' true spiritual successor by someday expanding their horizons beyond minifig-scaled licensed automobiles? :shrug_oh_well:

Hey, that does make sense.

Just a thought - would it be a way radical departure if City used the "streetburners" idea for its next police subtheme? Since the racers' tiny turbos' police and racers is quite different from the usual blue cops and red crooks vehicles.

I loved the Tiny Turbos, would love to see those come back, but this time with printed pieces!  All the stickers on my old sets are cracked and peeling off.  So either printed pieces or better quality stickers (the stickers on my UCS Star Wars sets, as annoying as they are, at least do not seem to have the same aging/peeling issues).  But preferably printed pieces.

19 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Hey, that does make sense.

For instance, Speed Champions could start designing four-wide cars sold as polybags; while on the other end of the spectrum, perhaps they'll consider releasing their own annual Expert-scaled automobile each year. While both Technic and Creator each have been releasing one of such per year most recently, Speed Champions could throw their own hat into the ring by offering one modern supercar in the System-based Expert scale every year while Creator stays preoccupied with the classic automobiles.

19 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Just a thought - would it be a way radical departure if City used the "streetburners" idea for its next police subtheme? Since the racers' tiny turbos' police and racers is quite different from the usual blue cops and red crooks vehicles.

Well, no matter what new-fangled setting they come up with every year, burglary seems to be the only crime the Police subtheme preoccupies itself with. So... :def_shrug:

On 1/26/2019 at 11:27 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

For instance, Speed Champions could start designing four-wide cars sold as polybags; while on the other end of the spectrum, perhaps they'll consider releasing their own annual Expert-scaled automobile each year. While both Technic and Creator each have been releasing one of such per year most recently, Speed Champions could throw their own hat into the ring by offering one modern supercar in the System-based Expert scale every year while Creator stays preoccupied with the classic automobiles.

Hmmm.....then I wonder how would an expert-scale Trion Nemesis look? That would be interesting! :oh:

On 1/26/2019 at 11:27 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, no matter what new-fangled setting they come up with every year, burglary seems to be the only crime the Police subtheme preoccupies itself with. So... :def_shrug:

I guess I'll have to depend on the racing vehicles of City's Great Vehicles subtheme for racer-like stuffs. They actually do give the racers vibe in some manner.

4 hours ago, JJ Tong (zfogshooterz) said:

Hmmm.....then I wonder how would an expert-scale Trion Nemesis look? That would be interesting! :oh:

Huh, I've never heard of that one before; and while I'd say it looks awfully close to a McLaren from the front, it has a side profile evocative of a modern Corvette or Cadillac, which I kinda dig! :thumbup: :smug:

Trion-Nemesis-5.jpg

I think that if we hypothetically had a new Racers theme that Lego went all in for, I assume there would wither be a TV show (like Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights) or at least a web based series of shorts (like Friends, Elves, or even Power Miners to a degree). This would necessitate creating characters for these sets, since stories and plots can't really exist without characters.

When it comes to this story, I would assume that they'd make a few characters similar to the ones in Power Miners or Agents 2.0, in which they really only have appearances that stand out and basic personalities but they don't change like the characters in something like Ninjago do. Either each year or each wave (depending) would likely involve them racing around in a different location to justify changing up the vehicles, and maybe the story could be based around these characters (who are all of the best drivers in the world) racing in a series of tournaments around the globe competing for a massive prize pool given by an eccentric multi-billionaire (basically, it would be like World Racers but more well thought out and with named characters).

I would imagine that the sets would kind of be half way in between the very realistic cars seen in Speed Champions and the more over the top vehicles seen in some earlier racers themes. The main thing about the sets I think is that they would have subtle modifications for combat and going off road (again this is like the World Racers theme, except more well thought out and well... subtle).

I don't know if this would work, but it's what I came up with.

So, from Toy Fair, they announced that the 2017 Technic RC car was among 4 of the most succesful sets of 2018, I hope that means RC cars will continue to be considered.

42065-1.jpg?201612010859

No surprise that 2019 has a similar Technic off-road RC vehicle set.

42095-1.jpg?201812041022

Those Technic sets still use Infrared/Power Functions.

System had this chassis back in 2009:

I think it'd be cool to see a new System small RC car chassis based on Powered UP, maybe could be smaller due to Bluetooth not needing direct contact unlike the old Infrared.

We had the Batmobile that could be controlled by phone, but that was still a fairly bulky build using a PUP Hub and motors, it also had no real steering module and acted more like a tracked vehicle.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 2/5/2019 at 7:20 PM, Saint_Miroku said:

I think that if we hypothetically had a new Racers theme that Lego went all in for, I assume there would wither be a TV show (like Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights) or at least a web based series of shorts (like Friends, Elves, or even Power Miners to a degree). This would necessitate creating characters for these sets, since stories and plots can't really exist without characters.

Well, that'd technically make such a theme more of a standalone action/adventure line rather than a City-like umbrella theme. I guess you could say though it'd be an indirect successor subtheme of Racers much like in the same way World Racers and Speed Champions are. :shrug_confused:

Speed Champions has pretty much replaced Racers. Tbh, they are better considering that I can put my people inside. 

But if there were to be a revival, I'd like to see a school bus-like racer. Similar to the Surfin School Bus from Hotwheels. 

5 hours ago, pooda said:

Speed Champions has pretty much replaced Racers. Tbh, they are better considering that I can put my people inside. 

But if there were to be a revival, I'd like to see a school bus-like racer. Similar to the Surfin School Bus from Hotwheels. 

That's the thing about the Racers theme when comparing it alongside Speed Champions: Racers could house both original and licensed automobile designs (much like Mattel's Hot Wheels), whereas the context Speed Champions has set itself up under limits it only to IP-specific automobiles.

18 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That's the thing about the Racers theme when comparing it alongside Speed Champions: Racers could house both original and licensed automobile designs (much like Mattel's Hot Wheels), whereas the context Speed Champions has set itself up under limits it only to IP-specific automobiles.

Maybe the Racers reboot can be a subsidiary of Speed Champions. This time, we can call it "Pocket Racers!". 

9 minutes ago, pooda said:

Maybe the Racers reboot can be a subsidiary of Speed Champions. This time, we can call it "Pocket Racers!". 

I'd flip that around, Speed Champions should be a subtheme of a revived Racers umbrella theme! :wink: