7 hours ago, Jerac said:

Well, if you own the game, you have all its files, including the 3d models, hint hint ;)

You can just google for them too.

Ok, this is new to me but I'm looking at a bunch of .fbx files, none of which seem totally accurate.  The general proportions are probably accurate but some of the details are poorly rendered.

Amusingly, the cockpit interior does show the rear hexagon as a window, but it's positioned way too high up - in reality would be directly behind the pilot's seat so not very useful.

Just got in the parts to convert my fighter and interceptor. I went for the smooth wing version which I plan on placing inside an illuminated display case, so I hope the gaps between the bricks don't show too badly.  

Also, since I already have those expensive top hatch pieces from V1, do you think it's worth trying to integrate them into the new design? Are they actually more accurate size-wise? 

Anyway, fantastic work as usual Jerac! Love the dedication to accuracy. 

10 hours ago, ixphia said:

Just got in the parts to convert my fighter and interceptor. I went for the smooth wing version which I plan on placing inside an illuminated display case, so I hope the gaps between the bricks don't show too badly.  

The gaps show when you look from the side, especially with a light background.  You can see the effect here (with the old shape wings).

10 hours ago, ixphia said:

Also, since I already have those expensive top hatch pieces from V1, do you think it's worth trying to integrate them into the new design? Are they actually more accurate size-wise? 

The correct diameter for the top hatch at this scale would be 5 studs, so the 4 stud dish isn't that bad. But the hatch should be the same size as the front window - that's what makes it look weird to me. It makes sense for new builders to use the small hatch because the big one is so expensive, but I imagine a lot of builders who are upgrading an older TIE would prefer to keep the big one. This is really the only area where the old version looks better to my eyes. It would take some work to swap it, but if you find a good solution I think a lot of people would appreciate it!

I've incorporated the big hatch from Jerac's original TIE-Fighter design (I love your work!) and made a few other minor modifications. The difficulty I had replacing only a few parts from Jerac's design, made me appreciate the design even more! 

The two black 1x1 modified bricks with headlight in the first picture need to be replaced with a 1x2 technic brick with holes, followed by a 1x2 bracket, two modified 1x1 plates with clips vertical and two bars with mechanical claws, to which the hatch can be attached.

Jerac TIE-Fighter MOD

Jerac's TIE Fighter remake MOD

Edited by Frenk512

Nice work @Frenk512  These mods are always harder than you'd expect.  I do think it looks better this way.

@Jerac perhaps this could be an official variant?  But the mod is easy enough to follow for those who have a large hatch.

1 hour ago, 20feet said:

Nice work @Frenk512  These mods are always harder than you'd expect.  I do think it looks better this way.

@Jerac perhaps this could be an official variant?  But the mod is easy enough to follow for those who have a large hatch.

I specifically wanted to stop using those hatches in the newer TIEs to allow more of them being used on the advanced (which cannot be adapted to use 4-wide dish). 

That said, it can be included as a separate, non-advertised variant for people who already have V1. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:46 AM, Jerac said:

I specifically wanted to stop using those hatches in the newer TIEs to allow more of them being used on the advanced (which cannot be adapted to use 4-wide dish). 

It's still funny to me that you have to manage the global supply of TIE Fighter parts via your design decisions.

Hey, at one point you'd shared a version of this TIE with lighting, but it didn't make the release version.  What's the story on that?

13 minutes ago, 20feet said:

It's still funny to me that you have to manage the global supply of TIE Fighter parts via your design decisions.

Hey, at one point you'd shared a version of this TIE with lighting, but it didn't make the release version.  What's the story on that?

I was not able to refine it to a state where it is durable and easy to make without damaging the LMB components. Like, I get some complaints from time to time how standard TF is difficult to assemble - and I get it, some areas are tricky. But if TF is like 5/10 difficulty build, TF with light system is a true 11/10. Harder than whatever you do with lego. 
So... no.

Plus, LMB pieces are super expensive...

Wow, 11/10!  I wouldn't expect that for a system with just a few lights.  I guess getting the wires where you want them would be tricky.

I was thinking of trying to light the TIE I'm (still) building, but even their small battery pack wouldn't fit inside.