LDD Bug ?

Hi, does anyone know what's wrong with my LDD? It only appears so when I choose to have 'outlines on bricks'

Thanks in advance !

Edited by KMPMOCS

I think you're using an Nvidia gpu? See this topic. Very annoying indeed and so far there's no solution besides turning of advanced shading (or getting another gpu :tongue:).

Thanks for letting me know, I have tried turning off advanced shading under the LDD preferences but still same :(

On 8-12-2017 at 11:15 AM, KMPMOCS said:

Thanks for letting me know, I have tried turning off advanced shading under the LDD preferences but still same :(

Hmm, it should work fine with advanced shading off. You could try reinstalling your gpu drivers. What gpu do you have?

6 hours ago, legolijntje said:

Hmm, it should work fine with advanced shading off. You could try reinstalling your gpu drivers. What gpu do you have?

Mine is GTX1050ti, it seems only the '10' series Nvidia gpu users are facing this problem.

As the above pic shows, I have turned off Advanced shading but problem still persists :(

2 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

Mine is GTX1050ti, it seems only the '10' series Nvidia gpu users are facing this problem.

[...]

As the above pic shows, I have turned off Advanced shading but problem still persists :(

Yup, it's a problem with GTX 10xx cards. I've got one myself too.
I believe you also need to turn of 'Outlines on bricks' to avoid the weird behavior.

9 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

Yup, it's a problem with GTX 10xx cards. I've got one myself too.
I believe you also need to turn of 'Outlines on bricks' to avoid the weird behavior.

Yea the only solution is to turn off outlines, I guess I have to switch to using Studs.io from now on , thanks for your reply :)

Hey KMPMOCS! I get the same problem with my GTX 1050... The only time it happens is when the outline on bricks setting is checked, as you already know. If your building a small model though, you could always run it on integrated graphics, but then that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a dedicated GPU...

10 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Hey KMPMOCS! I get the same problem with my GTX 1050... The only time it happens is when the outline on bricks setting is checked, as you already know. If your building a small model though, you could always run it on integrated graphics, but then that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a dedicated GPU...

Yea, my 9 yrs old laptop was having a lil problem thats why I built myself a new budget PC, never knew I couldn't build new moc with it, kinda sux as I personally prefer using LDD rather than other software. 

@KMPMOCS

Did you try to temporarily exclude the Nvidia video card and use the integrated (supposedly Intel) card only?
The integrated card should be enough to run LDD.

Your notebook should already be able to switch between the integrated and the dedicated video card, according to the power configuration. So you should be able to manually select one card or another.

13 minutes ago, Calabar said:

@KMPMOCS

Did you try to temporarily exclude the Nvidia video card and use the integrated (supposedly Intel) card only?
The integrated card should be enough to run LDD.

Your notebook should already be able to switch between the integrated and the dedicated video card, according to the power configuration. So you should be able to manually select one card or another.

Nope I haven't tried that , have no idea how, I guess I'll have to do some research on how to do that, thanks for the tip!

6 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

Nope I haven't tried that , have no idea how, I guess I'll have to do some research on how to do that, thanks for the tip!

If you are running an Intel chip along with your Nvidia card, you should be able to right click on the application and there should be an option that says: Run with graphics processor >

Then you can chose between integrated and dedicated. For smaller MOCs intel will work just fine. I have a 7th gen chip and it works pretty good. For anything over 500-1000 pieces though, your going to want to use the Nvidia card. Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

If you are running an Intel chip along with your Nvidia card, you should be able to right click on the application and there should be an option that says: Run with graphics processor >

Then you can chose between integrated and dedicated. For smaller MOCs intel will work just fine. I have a 7th gen chip and it works pretty good. For anything over 500-1000 pieces though, your going to want to use the Nvidia card. Hope that helps!

ok thanks man !

6 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Could u elaborate further what u mean by 'right click on the application' ? I have tried looking for it but no luck

Edited by KMPMOCS

Could u elaborate further what u mean by 'right click on the application' ? I have tried looking for it but no luck

He means the small icon on your trybar, (usually) placed on the bottom-right corner of your desktop (example image). 
If the voice "Run with graphics processor" is not available, check if it is flagged on the Nvidia Control Panel (example image).

Note that it could be "hidden" and accessible through small triangle on the left of the trybar (example image).

PS: avoid to use sms-like writing. As this is a site for adults, it is expected to write in the correct manner. :classic: 

Yeah, not a problem! Go to the Lego Digital Designer icon and right click on it. At the very top of the drop down box should be the option ''Open". Directly under that should be an option that says "Run with Graphics Processor". Hover you mouse over that and it should expand to have three options. 

It should look like this:

Open

Run with Graphics Processor > High performance Nvidia processor (default)

Integrated Graphics

Just click the integrated graphics option and that should fix the messed up bricks for you! Hope that helps you out!

Just now, Calabar said:

He means the small icon on your trybar, (usually) placed on the bottom-right corner of your desktop (example image). 
If the voice "Run with graphics processor" is not available, check if it is flagged on the Nvidia Control Panel (example image).

Note that it could be "hidden" and accessible through small triangle on the left of the trybar (example image).

PS: avoid to use sms-like writing. As this is a site for adults, it is expected to write in the correct manner. :classic: 

Thanks! That is exactly what I meant! Just didn't have time to put in pictures!

20 minutes ago, Calabar said:

13 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Yeah, not a problem! Go to the Lego Digital Designer icon and right click on it. At the very top of the drop down box should be the option ''Open". Directly under that should be an option that says "Run with Graphics Processor". Hover you mouse over that and it should expand to have three options. 

It should look like this:

Open

Run with Graphics Processor > High performance Nvidia processor (default)

Integrated Graphics

Just click the integrated graphics option and that should fix the messed up bricks for you! Hope that helps you out!

Hmm.. are you guys using Windows 8?  My Windows 10 doesnt display the things you guys are showing me :

6E8TG9.png

It doesnt show "add run with graphics processor to context menu" either :

j2B1OI.png

I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. Choosing which gpu to run an application on is usually only available on laptops and it looks like @KMPMOCS isn't using a laptop so he can't choose a different gpu.

43 minutes ago, legolijntje said:

I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. Choosing which gpu to run an application on is usually only available on laptops and it looks like @KMPMOCS isn't using a laptop so he can't choose a different gpu.

Ah no wonder.. But I really appreciate that you guys are trying to help, thank you all for your patience !

As KMPMOCS replaced his old laptop, I supposed that the new PC was a laptop too. My bad.

Maybe it is possible to create two different hardware profile, but I'm not sure Win10 allows that easily and it requires a rebook anyway. Otherwise you can set the video card from the bios (if allowed), but obviously it requires a reboot too.

@KMPMOCS
mmm... a doubt now. The Nvidia control panel (in "3D Settings" area) allows to add a software and set for it specific graphic settings. There you could associate the software with the desired graphic adapter (example image: click). As you can see the image is similar to the one you reported above, try adding the software and check if the desired options appears.

Edited by Calabar

Just now, Calabar said:

As KMPMOCS replaced his old laptop, I supposed that the new PC was a laptop too. My bad.

Maybe it is possible to create two different hardware profile, but I'm not sure Win10 allows that easily and it requires a rebook anyway. Otherwise you can set the video card from the bios (if allowed), but obviously it requires a reboot too.

mmm... a doubt now. The Nvidia control panel (maybe in "3D Settings" area) should show a list of applications thet uses the GPU. There you could associate the software with the desired graphic adapter (example image: click). Try it.

It just isn't possible on a desktop. The video outputs are different for the dedicated gpu and the integrated gpu and they aren't connected in any way. If you want to switch from gpu you'd have to plug the monitor cable directly in the motherboard outputs instead of in the dedicated gpu. And switch the gpu in the motherboard BIOS. You can't 'hot-swap' via software.

And that assumes @KMPMOCS even has an integrated gpu at all, which is not confirmed :tongue:

3 hours ago, legolijntje said:

If you want to switch from gpu you'd have to plug the monitor cable directly in the motherboard outputs instead of in the dedicated gpu

That is not a problem if your monitor have more than a single input port. You can connect both the video cards to the monitor and then switch the input port using the dedicated button (or the osd, if the button is missing).

Considering that Win10 is able to run more video card drivers simultaneously, that could be feasible. The problem remains to specify that the software have to use a specific video card. I never tried that, I'm speculating only.

Edited by Calabar

7 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

Ah no wonder.. But I really appreciate that you guys are trying to help, thank you all for your patience !

No problem! I've only owned laptops so I didn't realize PC's were different in that way.