Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR CWW] Dealing with the Poi-Poi - the right way and... the other one

King's Harbour, the local office of the Royal Society of Natural Philospophy. Wilbur Epper II., Undersecretary Of Construction for Cocovia, had chosen this location to adress a group consisting of high-ranking military officers, the admiralty and investors for the Royal Cocovia Wagonway project.

"Gentlemen - and lady - I have gathered you today to discuss a matter of utmost importance for the project at hand. As you all know, the construction of the wagonway to Quinnsville is on schedule as we speak. This does not come without cost though, we have lost quite a few brave men to accidents along the way, and the real challenges are still ahead of us. The centre of our fine island of Cocovia is inhabited by the natives of the Poi-Poi. We have established contacts with their elders months ago, treaties were signed, and so far we have not had any trouble with them. I say "so far", because our project has yet to cross their main settlement areas, which is also the reason why you are here today.

mFVOdmW.jpg

hCiLV30.jpg

Remember: this is not our land. We are guest in these lands, and in my opinion we should act like it. I know some members of the military think differently, but I hope after today that will have changed. Let me present to you two diferent options of how this whole project could go, and decide what road you want to go, so to speak. A local artist has depicted both options on the display to my left side.

LBuLqqW.jpg

The first option is the way of force. It is the way not few among our leadership think. It is a way of bloodshed, inhumanity and murder. We pass trough the lands of the Poi-Poi, lands they have lived on for generations. In some places it is holy land. Not all of the Poi-Poi elders were happy about our plans to build near their sacred sites of worship, So what if we step too close to one of such sites, perhaps an altar for one of their deities? What if we do not honour their warnings? No side would step back I fear, leading to conflict and possibly war. The Crown would be thrown into a military struggle with an unknown foe. Keep in mind that we have no idea what forces the Poi-Poi could muster if the worst happens. Some of you might be cinficent in our superiour strength - but are you willing to bet the lives of our soldiers on it?

CGX1rqB.jpg

HCjMOiD.jpg

nSH7BO6.jpg

LqAEN34.jpg

The alternative is simple: cooperation is always better than confrontation. What do we have to lose by cooperating with the Poi-Poi? It is their land, they know it inside and out. I say we let them help us, I say we use their knowledge. Maybe our wagonway is some miles longer due to a sacred site here and there - so what? We have the unique chance to bring these people closer to the Crown. If everthing works out, we not only have a safe and solid wagonway, but new allies and guards along the way. We have a representative of the Traders Guild here today: Francis, have you even thought about all the possible new customers?

IDdt0aZ.jpg

Iyf68Z1.jpg

icJmpTc.jpg

Speaking in the halls of the Royal Society of Natural Sciences: we should take the chances ahead of us. Chances for exploration of this islands treasures in biology, geography and engineering. But most of all we should take the chances offered to us by these people foreign to us. It is my true belief that we can earn as much from the as they can learn from us. The profit is on both sides.

Now if you want to further discuss matters: we have arranged for exquisite cookies. May the munching commence!"

NbFcLeG.jpg

cuOjCwW.jpg

=======================================================================================================

Oh boy, I need to work on my picture skills. The lightbox helps, but much to learn I still have! :pir-look:

The idea of this build is to give two ways the wagonway construction could go concerning the natives. We know how things usually went in our own history, but I would like to believe it can go better here.

Some more impressions under the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

The wagonway with the wagon itself:

4OfPnlJ.jpg

fGWgYHm.jpg

1iHkJYF.jpg

PnNDf1L.jpg

Some more shots from both sides, including the "sacred site" up close:

gdz2RUn.jpg

wsSm4jB.jpg

gpXJ2t9.jpg

k4xNTPn.jpg

wspgQWG.jpg

Note the toy wagon! Get the kids!

frt6GDU.jpg

Overall I am quite happy with this build. Some thing would be done differently with other parts available, but I have to work with what I have. My favourites are the idol, the toy wagon, and the fact that there are flowers and animals on exactly one side of the display - I guess it is pretty obvious which one I prefer.

Apart from my first entry for the CWW collaboration, this is also my entry for the " 1. The people along the wagonway" minichallenge.

P.S. The RSNP room is not part of the CCW build, and could be licensed as either a small education or a small art&culture build for the settlement of King's Harbour. Whoever is in charge: you have the rights to do so!

Edited by Drunknok

Sorry Drunknok, I missed commenting when you posted this, but it is definitely worth coming back to now. Both builds are excellent. I especially like the black and white checked floor in the first build as with the red walls. For the wagon way itself, that is a great carriage, especially the sloped sides. I think I will borrow them if I ever get my entry finished. The vegetation makes for a colourful scene and I like the idea of the different ways of interacting with the natives! Of course as good Corries, I suspect we will go with the peaceful option! Again, my apologies for not commenting sooner - a great entry!

A very nice entry Drunknok! Greatly told and a fun to read!

The wagon is very cool :)

Nice build. I feel ya with the lightbox issues. I got one myself for Christmas and am having the same troubles as you. Nice photos anyway. Good luck!

Very nice build Drunknok, both halves are great, and I should have commented sooner. I love the little details of the office half, the cookies on the tray are an especially good detail. But your wagonway half is even better, it really captures the feel of the jungle, and the idea of the wagonway. And your story is great too. Absolutely fantastic build mate!