Sign in to follow this  
nuno2500

5V USB PF train

A MOC powerer by an USB power bank (2200 mAh). Running at 5v it goes half speed with a DIY usb to PF adapter. Can be charged with a mobile phone charger. A good solution for events ;)

usb.jpg.28ca14f54817166185ca950bd4cbd08c.jpg

Interesting, so do you have a PF Receiver or you just control it via the polarity switch on the bottom?  How long does the battery last and how long does it take to re-charge?

What engine did you model your MOC after?  I see similarities to a EMD switcher but the cab is different.

Jim, i used the 8869 - Power Functions Control Switch only. I don´t know ir the IR works with only 5V.  After almost 2 hours i turn the power off...i have been testing it for a week and without recharge. 6x  AAA battery= 800 mAh. This powerbank= 2200 mAh. The design is not from a real train...just a bit of this and that from memory ;) 

I am working on an auto-stop mechanism placed on the track that counts laps  and stops the train like in the 4,5V days.

Best Regards,

Nuno

usb1bb.jpg

Edited by nuno2500
add photo

Nice idea. You could test to see if it works with IR receiver.  Its LB1836M motor driver Vcc can be up to 10.5V according to the spec sheets.

According to the data sheet (Sanyo) are the allowable operating voltages @ 25°C Ambient temperature:

image.png.028a7cfbdc351336d1d7b25f8986b7f9.png

Don't know what the lowest VCC voltage is for the used Alpha chip, the controller inside the IR receiver controlling the motor driver chip.

The LB1836M absolute maximum voltage is 10.5V @ Ta = 25°C

Brilliant solution to the size and cost of battery packs. I like the prospect of a wayside switch to reverse the train too... but just like the 4.5v reverser, I wouldn't depend on it for an unmanned display at the end of a track.