jlassen

Powering Friends Ferris wheel 41130

I've worked up a powering build for the friends Ferris wheel.

the standard 9v motor I have has an RPM that is way way to fast for direct gearing.

From what I understand, I need a small gear as the drive gear, and a larger gear as the follow gear,in order to slow down the rotation.

I've added two in series... 12 driver to 20 follower in  gear box, and 12 driver to 20 follower at the top of the drive shaft.

top of shaft has a pin hole gear for stability--- that outside 20 follow gear isn't connected to the axle...

In the gear box, I added another mirror drive gear, to give more stability at the bottom and to turn the pretty lights on the side of the gear box.

At some point, instead of hooking the motor up directory, I guess I could add an idle gear, to allow the motor to drive multiple amusement park rides (swings?)... Motor turns on/connected to all the rides... but each ride would have a separate switch to engage its drive gears.  and/or I could have another speed stepping at such a switch... but now we are getting to the limits of what I know how to do... I'll burn that bridge after I build this base model.

36342297000_f24b1e3a73_z.jpg

36569292342_4551105894_z.jpg

I THINK this drive shaft should be stable enough. we will see....

You can also use a worm gear to slow it own. That top part of your drive shaft looks like it might have some play and skip gear teeth if it has to work too hard.

Thanks for the suggestion about the worm gear.

With a medium power functions motor (~405 PRM at full power/no load) My current gearing is going to result in about 228 RPM... Not quite half speed.  Another stop down gear from mote shaft to gear box drive shaft... even and 8 to 20 would only cut  that in half... still over 100 RPM at full power.

Given a worm drive gives about an 8:1 step down, I think I may just do that, and eliminate some parts.  I could vary voltage, but I want to make a simple switch my daughter can throw, without spinning the mini-dolls around the room like bullets.

Here's some of the resources I was using to come up with gearing and speed

http://philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

http://sariel.pl/2016/01/print-friendly-gear-ratios-table/

Here's a link to my current construction on Bricklink's baseplate platform.

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/model.page?idModel=16344

I'll have to follow this to see how it turns out. I plan on doing a Friends amusement park eventually, but I want to do a different ferris wheel since I didn't love the one that came in that set. But I'll still need to figure out how to motorize it when I get around to it.

I want to know what components I need to build this gear box for 41130 ferries wheel and how to do it ?