Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

I have some questions about lego mozaik ( help wanted )

I have download a software program to make lego mozaik. I dont know the name right now, because i am on not on my pc. Afther the download i could not get it to work. Have download a java program as requested, but did not get it running.

My questions are,

Are there programs free or to buy, who are easy to install and to operate without an extra java program?

Are there (staff)- members here who can tell me where i cant find information about how to install and operate a java program witch i need for my mozaik program?

As i am not very good with computers, i have the preference for a software program witch is plug and play so to say.

Hope some one can help me with advize. I will look tomorrow on my pc what the name of the software program is witch i have downlaoded a few weeks ago.

The name of the sofware program is PicToBrick

Tnx..

Edited by JDL1967

There used to be a program called Bricksaic that I remember worked pretty well (not sure it's around any more). There are a couple of other tools to. Check out the Section Index for names and links.

BrickLink now also has a mosaic maker that could be worth a try. 

I'm the author of LDDMC which uses Java, but doesn't require additional downloads. I'm looking into features that people want in mosaic software. Are there any must-have features in PicToBrick behind your reason for choosing it over other LEGO mosaic makers?

1 hour ago, Lasse D said:

I'm looking into features that people want in mosaic software.

Read BrickLink Mosaick forum, plenty of wanted features  :wink:  (which won’t be implemented soon by BL).

Thanks @SylvainLS I have looked through the threads and found some good suggestions which I can use in LDDMC. Here are my comments on each of the suggestions. I have a lot of work ahead of me if this software should become popular:

- "Please add metric units": The poster would like to be able to use metric rather than imperial units.
- This is a good suggestion. LDDMC currenly just counts bricks. I am looking into ways of supporting other units without complicating the UI. Suggestions are welcome :)

- "Poor part selection for baseplates"
- LDDMC does currently not user the concept of baseplates. Is this a desired feature?

- "Quantity on Hand feature": The poster would like the software to use from the parts that they have available.
- This is a great suggestion. I believe some other mosaic software does this, and I will consider to include it in LDDMC (you should be able to import a spreadsheet or Bricklinks items list).

- "Make it possible to replace colors": The poster is not satisfied with how colors are chosen in the final mosaics and would like to fine-tune/post process the result.
- This is done using the color filters (brighness, contrast, gamma, etc.) and dithering-percentage in LDDMC. I should make a guide of how to use there.

- "PNG with transparent background"
- It is suggested to remove the transparency component. This is a good suggestion. I will look into this.

- "Please add a option for only 1 x1 plates"
- LDDMC currently only works using 1x1 parts, but I'm introducing "optimizations" where other parts can be used to lower the parts counts of the mosaics. This feature is currently underway.

- "mosaic 3d"/"it would be nice to have 3d mode :D
- I don't know what they mean with 3D. 3D-illusion? Decorating large 3D figures?

- "Can't exclude colours"
- LDDMC does this. Using the color chooser you can include/exclude individual colors or whole groups of colors as you prefer. You can also filter the colors by year, rarity (sets and parts), transparency, and more.

- "Why is the final image divided in ten by ten studs grids ?"
- LDDMC has this as well. You can choose the size of the magnifier (not just 10x10) when printing and magnifying.

- "New idea: free drawing": The poster wants to be able to freely draw the mosaic.
- I believe LDD or any drawing software supports this. The image file can then be imported into the mosaic maker.

- "How i think it should work": The poster suggests an order for the steps to create a mosaic.
- It is one of the strengths in LDDMC that you can do these steps in any order and immediately see the result.

- "giving numbers to the colours on the grid": The poster would like numbers in the grid to make it easier to distinguish colors.
- LDDMC allows you to see numbers (Bricklink, LEGO, LDD, Rebrickable or simply incrementing numbers) in the magnifier and on the printed pages. However. It does not give you a hybrid view where you can see both the color and number. I should look into this.

3 hours ago, Lasse D said:

- "Make it possible to replace colors": The poster is not satisfied with how colors are chosen in the final mosaics and would like to fine-tune/post process the result.
- This is done using the color filters (brighness, contrast, gamma, etc.) and dithering-percentage in LDDMC. I should make a guide of how to use there.

I think it’s also about the same as the following item “can’t exclude color:” BL’s software uses LEGO colors that are rare and expensive. It’s more about being able to choose the colors beforehand or after the mosaic is computed (to recompute it), or to smooth some dithering errors (which can’t always be avoided). You can do that “by hand” but as BL’s software is linked to BL’s buying platform (via wanted list for instance), and in order to get correct building instructions, it’s important to include these editing/smoothing features in the software.

3 hours ago, Lasse D said:

- "Why is the final image divided in ten by ten studs grids ?"
- LDDMC has this as well. You can choose the size of the magnifier (not just 10x10) when printing and magnifying.

It’s not about magnifying, it’s about the 10 studs x 10 studs grid with which BL’s software cuts the resulting mosaic. There’s no 10x10 plate/baseplate, so it’s pretty stupid to cut the mosaic in 10x10 submodels. :sceptic:

As for 3D, there are several ideas: sculpture like mosaics, multiple-depths mosaic (like some maquetry bas-reliefs), etc. Just look for examples of LEGO mosaics on the web, creativity is limitless :classic: