LEGOshibainu

Do you like voices in Bionicle movies?

I am working on a Bionicle fan film but I would like your opinion on something, I've watched a variety of great Bionicle movies to inspire me, but I am unsure about what to do for voices, some of them have no dialog at all, some have subtitles appear and no voices and some flat out have voices, I am not sure which would work best so I'd like to hear what the community thinks :wink:

In my opinion dialog is always good, but voices are only good if you have decent voice talent and equipment.  But this just my two cents worth, do what feels right for your story.

Honestly, hard to say, they got makuta's voice down, but I disliked the matoran sounding like children, and the toa were hit and miss. I think the movies got batter as they went on though, the only voice acting I couldn't stand from the last one was kiina. So I think there's good and bad in all of them.

The problem with any voice acting is that before people hear a character talk, you get an idea of what you think the character should sound like by just imagining in your head while reading a book. I disliked many of the voices in the official films (and games for that matter) because they didn't align with what I had imagined the characters to sound like. That doesn't mean the voices were bad, just not how I envisioned them to be based on character traits. 

With that said, if you do voices, just try to give each character a voice that suits their personality and traits, and that's really the best thing you can do. But every filmmaker on YouTube and the like will have their own spin- you just have to make your film and see if it feels right with/without voices because most likely the product you are most happy with will be the one you are going to want to stick with. 

I think using MNOG-style subtitles is the best option for a fan film. Sure, voice acting would certainly make it more immersive and dynamic, but it can also be pretty cringy if not done right. You can also take inspiration from The Hordika Online Animations by having some sort of metallic-sounding mumbling and subtitles. There are many options but the worst thing you can do in this case is using text-to-speech unironically.

By the way, contrary to the popular opinion, I liked the voice acting in the Bionicle movies a whole lot. The English version had some minorly annoying voices (like Jaller or Toa Nokama) but it wasn't the version I grew up with.

Edited by Onepu the Protector

5 hours ago, Onepu the Protector said:

I think using MNOG-style subtitles is the best option for a fan film. Sure, voice acting would certainly make it more immersive and dynamic, but it can also be pretty cringy if not done right. You can also take inspiration from The Hordika Online Animations by having some sort of metallic-sounding mumbling and subtitles. There are many options but the worst thing you can do in this case is using text-to-speech unironically.

By the way, contrary to the popular opinion, I liked the voice acting in the Bionicle movies a whole lot. The English version had some minorly annoying voices (like Jaller or Toa Nokama) but it wasn't the version I grew up with.

After playing MNOG again I 100% think that is the way to go, thanks for all the opinions everyone! :laugh: