Sign in to follow this  
Claus von Nassau

Help needed

Hello All,

My first time to post in the train forum.

My son got the old train from his uncle's set number 4511. Yesterday i started building and soon discoverd that a few vital pieces are missing or broken.

the 9v engine is broken and also the power converter is missing from the controlpad

now i was thinking is it posible to convert this train to the new powerfunctions?

and are the 9v tracks (with steel) compatible with the powerfunctions engine?

Thanks for your time.

Claus von Nassau

Ps. forgive me my bad English it's been a wile to try to write in English:wink: 

Welcome to Eurobricks!

Let me try to help you out here: While it's totally possible to convert most trains to power functions, I would recommend buying a new 9V motor from bricklink or ebay, as that's currently (at least in Germany) cheaper by about 15€. The 9V tracks are the same dimensions as the power function tracks. Power function trains work on both. 9V trains obviously don't run on power function track because of the lack of electricity. They can still be pulled along however. Missing pieces can also be bought on bricklink. If you're missing the cable to the yellow controller, you can just go and buy any adapter cable from any electronics store. I had to do this for my 9V as I can't find my original cable. Make sure that the power is variable. My new cable has options vor 5-15V or something like that. I tried with 9V first but ultimately stuck with 12V for the converter cable. The original puts out 10V if I remember correctly.

Hope that was helpful to you

Thanks for the advice:thumbup:

Luckely i am very familiar with bricklink and i am mostly active in the pirates and history sections of eurobricks.

than the next issue my son is turing 5 years old when he gets the train, and i dont like the idea of him messing around with electrick, he really try's to find out how everyting works. ( if you could see what he does with my powertools*huh*)

so i don't have to buy new tracks and the rc tracks will combine with the 9v tracks:thumbup:

thank you

Claus 

You basically need these components to convert to Power Functions and figure out how to cram them into the engine.  They can be ordered from the Power Functions section of the LEGO Shop @ Home site.

IMG_20150823_010145_zpsnuf2a0cl.jpg

1 hour ago, Claus von Nassau said:

Thank You!

Do you know if there is a connection point for the train headlights? 

Claus

Not for the 9V headlights, no. You need to buy new power function compatible lights

6 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Not for the 9V headlights, no. You need to buy new power function compatible lights

Or he could use an adapter cable (lego sells two different lengths: 8886 and 8871).

8 hours ago, Claus von Nassau said:

Thank You!

Do you know if there is a connection point for the train headlights? 

Claus

There are at least 3 ways to connect the light.  You'll probably need a PF extension cable to connect the old 9V to the new PF. 

1. You can connect to battery box.  That would give you full power light every time you turn on the battery box.

2. You can connect to the same channel as the PF train motor on the PF Infrared Receiver.  The intensity of the light would the proportional to the speed of the train motor.

3. You can connect to the channel on the IR receiver not used by the motor.  The intensity of the light can be control separately with the other knob on the PF Remote Speed Controller.

On 5-3-2017 at 11:37 PM, Duq said:

Hi Claus,

You can ask your questions in Dutch here if that's easier:

http://www.lowlug.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=79037f83c89895043b3a423f022361f4

i'am just a bit rusty with my english:wink: that's all. A friend of mine is a member on lowlug and also on eurobricks

On 6-3-2017 at 3:55 AM, dr_spock said:

There are at least 3 ways to connect the light.  You'll probably need a PF extension cable to connect the old 9V to the new PF. 

1. You can connect to battery box.  That would give you full power light every time you turn on the battery box.

2. You can connect to the same channel as the PF train motor on the PF Infrared Receiver.  The intensity of the light would the proportional to the speed of the train motor.

3. You can connect to the channel on the IR receiver not used by the motor.  The intensity of the light can be control separately with the other knob on the PF Remote Speed Controller.

that's a lot of options. This week a meet with a friend of mine who has 3 PF train's so i can check if it will fit properly and if it's playable

Thank you all for your fast reply's and advice!!

claus