Sir Gareth

Death Star Modification(s)?

I've done mods on the new one such as color alterations and changing the build itself to make the Death Star look more rounded. I also decided to remove the TIE Advanced and its hangar from the hangar bay as it took up too much room in there. My mods are unfinished so far.

Considering how much abuse Lego got for not rounding the walls off when the death star was re-release, I presumed wed see tons of mocs showing "what could have been". I've yet to see a single one! Maybe it wasn't such as easy task as a lot of people suggested!.

2 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

I've done mods on the new one such as color alterations and changing the build itself to make the Death Star look more rounded. I also decided to remove the TIE Advanced and its hangar from the hangar bay as it took up too much room in there. My mods are unfinished so far.

Would love to see your pics as I will.hopefully be picking up the death star really soon. 

I have created my own version which will be unveiled here within the next few weeks. Standby....standby....standby....

I'm at the 10th bags of the build now, so I'm almost done. I think my first mod will be to ditch the TIE Advanced and hanger bit, as ChristopherLee said it takes up far too much room, and IMO looks awful, the TIE especially. I'd rather rig up a hanger for some mini TIEs, or just leave the bay open. I also removed that crane thing from the weapons room since it doesn't really serve any purpose. I'd much rather have had another DS Trooper or Naval officer in exchange for those pieces, and the adeed floor space is appreciated. When it's fully complete, I'll see what else I'd like to modify. One issue I already noticed was wasted space in the detention level. The right wall of the cell could be pushed all the way to the wall of that section, there's an empty 2-wide corridor wasted there.

Also, I wouldn't consider it a mod, but I've decided to display it as a functioning battle station rather than a diorama of the events of ANH and ROTJ, so as of right now I'm not displaying it with any of the heroes, just all my extra Imperials. The one piece I absolutely need to add is Yularen, and I'd like to find some heads to match Motti and Tagge. The one officer that comes with it could probably pass for Motti.

I love the build so far, they did a good job keeping it from being tedious by breaking up sections. My one issue is that it's very easy to miss or mistake pieces in the instructions, especially when you've been building for hours. I love the set though, I'm in the camp that are very happy they rereleased it as I missed out on the first.

On 12/27/2016 at 7:50 PM, bootz said:

I love the set though, I'm in the camp that are very happy they rereleased it as I missed out on the first.

Same here brother.

Will try color alterations (no colorful technic elements please) and also remove the crane.

Edited by VaderFan2187

I'm trying to work on getting a new elevator system built in LDD that doesn't require the use of strings and pulleys. Also working on the trash compactor to actually make the walls close in a straight line, and not swing closed.

17 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

I'm trying to work on getting a new elevator system built in LDD that doesn't require the use of strings and pulleys. Also working on the trash compactor to actually make the walls close in a straight line, and not swing closed.

Can you try making the workstation lift (the one that enters the hangar) using a gear system instead of the string?

@Sir Gareth @VaderFan2187

Here's a preview of what I have so far. I've been using simple slope bricks to make the Death Star appear much more rounded as it should be. It's still a work in progress.

death_star_mod.png

Without minifigs and some of the rooms being filled, it's sitting at 2,842 pieces. I'll make a separate topic with more images when this is complete and as of now some of these changes are NOT in my current build, but other mods include/will include (from bottom to top):

• The once empty basement is now just a series of corridors. No turbolift access.
  • Trash Compactor door frame rounded to look more accurate.
  • Tractor Beam Generator altered to have more of the cylindrical structure beneath it.
  • Open chasm has new entryway design to be more movie accurate (this design makes appearances in other corridors throughout the model). Extending platforms are now those 90 degree angle plates and not clip pieces. Also added an extra air intake (which are redesigned to be more accurate)
  • Cargo room has new ladder leading to lower entryway. Elevator platform has wedge plates so that there are no gaps when raised to hangar bay. Stepladder allows for more realistic play. The platform uses a simple lever for manual raising and lowering and doesn't rely on the slow, clunky, obtrusive string and knob technique anymore.
  • Hangar Bay no longer has hooks to hold TIE Advanced, as they were obtrusive and fairly useless. I'm thinking of adding a Millennium Falcon in that scale, but haven't decided yet. As mentioned earlier, platform in cargo room no longer has gaps when raised to here. The white trim is altered slightly to be more accurate.
  • Blast door uses the same gear system, but changed so that the rack that the door is on no longer protrudes out the side of the Death Star while closed. The control room above has more accurate detailing, and has new windows that peer into the hangar bay, instead of wall panels. Superlaser and its generator unchanged.
  • Detention level has more accurate control panels and overall colors. Cell door now slides open on a tile and stopper similar to the trash compactor door, instead of using a bunch of ugly, obtrusive technic pieces. Rear wall of cell is still removable, but is now solid and cannot be seen through. There are also two security cameras (of a new design) instead of one. Detail added to include a fake elevator (similar to the ones seen here)
  • Throne room has throne and control dishes more similar to the ones in 75093. The stairway has railing, as does the collapsing platform.
  • Turbolasers unchanged, but added detail to include the thermal exhaust port that would destroy the Death Star when fired upon (exploding feature not included, yet...).
  • Droid maintenance room no longer has turbolift access. Hidden gear function removed due to the removal of the rack in the hangar bay.
  • Death Star bridge now has turbolift access. Knob to alter the position of the superlaser is less prominent. Viewport design altered so that it doesn't use hinge pieces to move forward anymore. It is a static display and the stickered brick that displays various events simply slides in and out.
  • Conference room has smaller storage area under table (still holds accessories). Wall panels more accurate.

There are still two features that I will save for a later edition of my mod (mostly because I'm too lazy and these would require a more difficult overhaul of the set's base design):

• Altered main turbolift design to no longer use the messy and clunky string system, replacing it with a gear and worm screw system that uses less parts and is more stable. This system is independent of the rest of the Death Star and can be removed to better make use of the modular design.
  • Each floor is now modular. They rest on fewer studs and more plates so that each floor can be removed and played with separately. This however reduces the overall strength and stability of the model.
Edited by ChristopherLee

3 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

Each floor is now modular. They rest on fewer studs and more plates so that each floor can be removed and played with separately. This however reduces the overall strength and stability of the model.

Is that because brickset's CapnRex101 suggested it? :wink:

Just now, VaderFan2187 said:

Is that because brickset's CapnRex101 suggested it? :wink:

And because it would be better for play overall. Like I said, that'll come later. I've gotten too far to do such a drastic redesign right now. I forgot to have each floor as a grouped build in LDD, so I can't disassemble it without a lot of tedious work.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

And because it would be better for play overall. Like I said, that'll come later. I've gotten too far to do such a drastic redesign right now. I forgot to have each floor as a grouped build in LDD, so I can't disassemble it without a lot of tedious work.

I know. It'll make the bottom level more accessible. But I thought it would be unstable?

6 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I know. It'll make the bottom level more accessible. But I thought it would be unstable?

It would be stable, just not as much as the original 10188 or 75159.

4 hours ago, DangAndBlast said:

I saw that a while ago… it was built by a man… who thought that was a good idea???

Also, any way I can modify the superlaser to make it start where the tributary lasers converge?

Edited by VaderFan2187

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I saw that a while ago… it was built by a man… who thought that was a good idea???

Also, any way I can modify the superlaser to make it start where the tributary lasers converge?

THought on exactly the same issue, too...

might need a redesign of the thin ones since they dont look as stable as the big one

On 05/01/2017 at 6:05 PM, ChristopherLee said:

@Sir Gareth @VaderFan2187

Here's a preview of what I have so far. I've been using simple slope bricks to make the Death Star appear much more rounded as it should be. It's still a work in progress.

death_star_mod.png

Without minifigs and some of the rooms being filled, it's sitting at 2,842 pieces. I'll make a separate topic with more images when this is complete and as of now some of these changes are NOT in my current build, but other mods include/will include (from bottom to top):

• The once empty basement is now just a series of corridors. No turbolift access.
  • Trash Compactor door frame rounded to look more accurate.
  • Tractor Beam Generator altered to have more of the cylindrical structure beneath it.
  • Open chasm has new entryway design to be more movie accurate (this design makes appearances in other corridors throughout the model). Extending platforms are now those 90 degree angle plates and not clip pieces. Also added an extra air intake (which are redesigned to be more accurate)
  • Cargo room has new ladder leading to lower entryway. Elevator platform has wedge plates so that there are no gaps when raised to hangar bay. Stepladder allows for more realistic play. The platform uses a simple lever for manual raising and lowering and doesn't rely on the slow, clunky, obtrusive string and knob technique anymore.
  • Hangar Bay no longer has hooks to hold TIE Advanced, as they were obtrusive and fairly useless. I'm thinking of adding a Millennium Falcon in that scale, but haven't decided yet. As mentioned earlier, platform in cargo room no longer has gaps when raised to here. The white trim is altered slightly to be more accurate.
  • Blast door uses the same gear system, but changed so that the rack that the door is on no longer protrudes out the side of the Death Star while closed. The control room above has more accurate detailing, and has new windows that peer into the hangar bay, instead of wall panels. Superlaser and its generator unchanged.
  • Detention level has more accurate control panels and overall colors. Cell door now slides open on a tile and stopper similar to the trash compactor door, instead of using a bunch of ugly, obtrusive technic pieces. Rear wall of cell is still removable, but is now solid and cannot be seen through. There are also two security cameras (of a new design) instead of one. Detail added to include a fake elevator (similar to the ones seen here)
  • Throne room has throne and control dishes more similar to the ones in 75093. The stairway has railing, as does the collapsing platform.
  • Turbolasers unchanged, but added detail to include the thermal exhaust port that would destroy the Death Star when fired upon (exploding feature not included, yet...).
  • Droid maintenance room no longer has turbolift access. Hidden gear function removed due to the removal of the rack in the hangar bay.
  • Death Star bridge now has turbolift access. Knob to alter the position of the superlaser is less prominent. Viewport design altered so that it doesn't use hinge pieces to move forward anymore. It is a static display and the stickered brick that displays various events simply slides in and out.
  • Conference room has smaller storage area under table (still holds accessories). Wall panels more accurate.

There are still two features that I will save for a later edition of my mod (mostly because I'm too lazy and these would require a more difficult overhaul of the set's base design):

• Altered main turbolift design to no longer use the messy and clunky string system, replacing it with a gear and worm screw system that uses less parts and is more stable. This system is independent of the rest of the Death Star and can be removed to better make use of the modular design.
  • Each floor is now modular. They rest on fewer studs and more plates so that each floor can be removed and played with separately. This however reduces the overall strength and stability of the model.

Any new updates please Chris?   Your mods are exactly why I want to do if/when I buy this set. I will also be adding slope pieces to the exterior to make a more rounded sphere. I cant believe lego didn't do that themselves. 

^^^ Noooooo !  sorry to hear that Chris.   Would love to see some pics when of work in progress once you start the mods. It will be too easy to improve on the lego DS.  I mean, even the centre turbolift has plates of different colours, that's the first thing I would fix.  The stupid cargo lift is crap too. The lift plate is much smaller than the floor void in the tie hangar for a start, and when the lift is on the base floor, it floats in the air by about 4 bricks high.  Just crazy ! :laugh:

I also completely agree with you too about the wasted space in the tie hangar. It's crying out to be put to good use.