Sign in to follow this  
LegoEd3000

Vintage 12v lego train newbie - what is the isolating conductor rails

Hi, Reliving my childhood here at 39 after discovering my old 12v lego train. Have loads of track and manual points but also discovered some track I'm not sure what is for? Its the center power rail that carries the 12v. I have 8 bits of straight track with a break in the power line and a black triangle printed on it.

Any ideas what this is for please.

Thanks

Ed :)

Now back to play with my train set!

Great. Thanks. Understand that. :)

Now,... I think the lego purist will hate this but I might solder a small wire on the inside of the track to bridge the isolating gab and make the rails usable. 8 straights would be handy to add to my collection and I have no signal lights.

You need two of them to build a remote controlled signal 7860. Here is the instruction:

http://peeron.com/scans/7860-1/

Have fun with your old 12 volt stuff!

HoMa

Heck I'll do a straight swap with you for some of the isolating tracks for some normal straight if you want to do that! :tongue:

Great. Thanks. Understand that. :)

Now,... I think the lego purist will hate this but I might solder a small wire on the inside of the track to bridge the isolating gab and make the rails usable. 8 straights would be handy to add to my collection and I have no signal lights.

Or . . .you could send them to me and I'll just send you two good straights.

It's not a lego purist thing, but even straight conductor rails aren't worth too much online. You're removing versatility from the lego. Also, you should have a bunch of signals if you have the interrupt tracks.

If you don't feel like trading your rails or going to hell for messing around with lego train rails you can also use a single lego wire and connect the two dead ends together and the dead section will be gone.

If you don't feel like trading your rails or going to hell for messing around with lego train rails you can also use a single lego wire and connect the two dead ends together and the dead section will be gone.

Did this. Tiny bit of solder to the inside and its working as a normal straight. If need be, it can be removed without damaging the original rail.

I picked some more of these isolating rails on ebay for a few £s,... so their not that rare.... or maybe I was lucky.

Thanks for the help people :)