Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Brickworld 2016 Charity Auction

So last year my Texas rival, Anthony Sava, donated one of his sweet locomotives to Brickworld's Esther Walner Memorial Charity Auction. Just before it went on the block Tony issued a challenge. If his model went for over $400, then I would donate a model to next year's auction. Well Tony's model sold for $550, Brickworld 2016 is just a week away, and I'm not one to disappoint, so.

27247693640_9abe3c215b_z.jpgBrickworld 2016 Charity Auction Model by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

This year at Brickworld 2016 I will be donating my model of Baltimore & Ohio no.4500. Locomotive 4500 is a 2-8-2 USRA Light Mikado, one of the standard steam locomotives designed under the control of the United States Railroad Administration for the First World War. Constructed in just 20 days by Baldwin Locomotive Works, B&O No. 4500 was the first USRA locomotive produced under federal management. This historic locomotive survives today as part of the Baltimore & Ohio RR Museum's world class collection.

This model of 4500 is an excelent running locomotive, of sturdy design, and has become one of my favorite engines I’ve built. It is powered by an XL Powerfunctions motor in the tender with PF I.R. control and room for a PF AAA or rechargable battery box. The model uses wheels from Big Ben Bricks, and side rods from Brick Trains.

I hope those of you who can be there will open your checkbooks and bid on my model. It supports a great cause and you'll take home a one of a kind model. And depending on how high the bidding goes, there may be some bonuses in store too.

What a nice gesture! I wish I was able to attend and join in the bidding. Now if you had offered up the Challenger, I might be buying a last minute plane ticket!

If this model goes for $1,000.00 or more at auction, I, Tony Sava, will build a custom 8-wide Caboose based on a Texas prototype and gift it to Cale Leiphart.

Furthermore, if the model goes for $1,000.00 or more I will, publically, in front of all gathered at the PennLUG/TBRR layout at Brickworld, bow to Cale Leiphart and declare him the better train builder.

Further, furthermore, should this model go for $1,000.00 or more, I will build a railcar with a billboard stating Cale Leiphart is a better train builder, and will run it at every Texas Brick Railroad display until Brickworld 2017, including the upcoming Brick Fiesta 2016.

--Tony

If this model goes for $1,000.00 or more at auction, I, Tony Sava, will build a custom 8-wide Caboose based on a Texas prototype and gift it to Cale Leiphart.

Furthermore, if the model goes for $1,000.00 or more I will, publically, in front of all gathered at the PennLUG/TBRR layout at Brickworld, bow to Cale Leiphart and declare him the better train builder.

Further, furthermore, should this model go for $1,000.00 or more, I will build a railcar with a billboard stating Cale Leiphart is a better train builder, and will run it at every Texas Brick Railroad display until Brickworld 2017, including the upcoming Brick Fiesta 2016.

--Tony

And I'm going to hold Tony to his pledge! I've been trying to get Thim to build an 8 wide caboose for ages. :laugh: And to help it over the mark, I may just throw in some incentive to get it past the $1000.

It's all i good fun though, and helps some great charities I'm glad Tony is so willing to play along. I'll make it up to him. I'm also hoping that this will expand on what Tony did last year and encourage more of the train fans coming to Brickworld, many of whom I consider to be great modelers, to contribute their own work to the charity auction.

Cale

My Mikado is all packed. One last run awaits at Brickworld this weekend. One more trip around the PennLUG layout. I will miss this engine. It really has been one of my favorites. I hope whomever is the winning bidder at the charity auction loves it as much as I do.

27559270562_5c21d6f679_z.jpgOne last run. by Cale Leiphart, on Flickr

Cale

I saw some pictures on Sava's Flickr account of the winner but what was the winning bid? Also does anyone have Brickworld pictures (besides Sava) especially of the layout? Also, congrats to Sava for winning the best Locomotive award, a beautiful NYC 4-6-4.

I will be posting pictures in the coming days. To answer your other question - the winning bid was $2050.00. A surprising thing to witness.

--Tony

I will be posting pictures in the coming days. To answer your other question - the winning bid was $2050.00. A surprising thing to witness.

--Tony

Wait... does that mean...? No...

Excellent work all around!

I'll have my photos up as well hopefully tomorrow sometime. Yes my locomotive did go for $2050. I'm still in disbelief over the final bid. It was unexpected and quite amazing. And yes, Tony will make good on his word. But since it was his challenge to me at last year's auction, and his bet on this year's outcome that pushed me to donate my model, and helped raise the stakes, I feel I owe him something in return. I'm not saying what yet, but I got something special in the works for Tony as thanks.

Cale

Heh heh heh, well you two are both amazing builders, I don't think either of you takes a back seat to the other. I can't imagine what sort of gauntlet will be thrown down next year but I do know that you two have set a formidable bar (and for a great cause too).