Sign in to follow this  
Dukesc

[OL - 2F/2A] FB The Fairmont

216 posts

Thank you TitusV, I appreciate it!

7146 posts

Nice little sloop, Dukesc.

I like the look of the materials you use for the sails - what is it?

The two part bowsprit is nice too, as is the hull shape.

A few comments on rigging. Both sails seem to be carried rather high, and I would suggest trying to bring them both down in future sloop-builds. Especially the boom of the mainsail looks like it should be lowered for a better handling vessel. I can see how that is hard to achieve as those hulls tend to lead to rather high sterns, but if the stern could be lowered so that the boom could be brought down to just above the helmsman, I think that would make her look more harmonic. Further, the front of the sail should be brought all the way in to the mast.

Hope it is useful - what you have here is already very good. Well done!

292 posts

(This letter is one of several in a package of confidential communications recently intercepted by an Oleon agent. The naval code used was successfuly deciphered by Oleon's top code breaker.)

To Lord Woodbrose

Dated this 4th day of May in the 616th year After Empire

Sir, I am becoming increasingly worried by the current rapid growth in Oleander sea power in these waters. In the past week alone, reports have reached me that no fewer than four new commisions have been spotted around the Far Islands, these have been identified by our agents as:

The Fear Mouse

The Gal' At Sea

The Meaty Oar

The Tureen

The Gal' At Sea seems to be of a new class especially built for speed. The Fear Mouse is small but well armed and quick, and able to sail undetected by all except the most vigilant eyes. The Tureen, while most oddly named, also seems to be an experimental build, a latteen-rigged pinnace. The Fear Mouse and The Tureen are most attractive, seaworthy and sturdy ships, I have seen them myself from afar. I beleve this new squadron may be under the command of The Duke of Usc, some times known as John Deere. What this build up of the Oleon fleet and these new experimental classes of ship may foretell I cannot be sure, but we must maintain the highest levels of vigilance across our colonies in these worrying times.

I remain, sir, your most humble servant, Major Howard, Military Attache to the Far Islands. God save the Queen!

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

216 posts

Nice little sloop, Dukesc.

I like the look of the materials you use for the sails - what is it?

The two part bowsprit is nice too, as is the hull shape.

A few comments on rigging. Both sails seem to be carried rather high, and I would suggest trying to bring them both down in future sloop-builds. Especially the boom of the mainsail looks like it should be lowered for a better handling vessel. I can see how that is hard to achieve as those hulls tend to lead to rather high sterns, but if the stern could be lowered so that the boom could be brought down to just above the helmsman, I think that would make her look more harmonic. Further, the front of the sail should be brought all the way in to the mast.

Hope it is useful - what you have here is already very good. Well done!

Thanks for the comments and I will take them into consideration on future builds!

I attached a picture of what I've been using for sails. This costs about $5 at Wal-Mart, but it won't work for large ships.

The sail height was primarily determined by the mounting points of the non-moc mast which was determined by the height of the non-moc mast support. This will be adjusted when (I already started) I build larger ships and move away from the non-moc mast pieces.

IMG_20160504_105232831.jpg