manglegrat

B5 Starfury Thunderbolt MOC

Hi, folks.

As a fan of Babylon 5 who just watched S2-S4 again, while I've seen a few B5 MOCs in my travels I don't think I've ever seen a Thunderbolt before, so I thought I'd give it a try in LDD (pic via Bluerender w/Bublible MOD). This is v0.2:

26330898270_15e127b111_b.jpg

I think the proportions are OK given the restrictions of minifig-ish scale (I haven't tried putting minifigs in it in LDD as I didn't intend to IRL so I may be a bit off) and available Lego pieces. Can't quite model all the curves and angles, though! :blush:

My reference for this was the pic below. I flipped round the vanes on the engines to be on the outside and while it'd be easy enough to reconnect them the other way round I'd have to lengthen the engine modules a plate or two to allow it to fit alongside the wings. In the series the vanes rotated between space (per the below) mode & atmospheric mode (mine), but I haven't tried to build-in that function. Maybe v0.3... :classic:

26511016922_9fa5c0ba8d_c.jpg

Top view:

26000759923_f51d65f9cb_b.jpg

Side view:

26577651796_055c434323_b.jpg

And front(ish - as close as I could get with LDD & Bluerender) view:

26003950063_7f18fb794f_c.jpg

360 rotation

Starfury%20Thunderbolt%20v0.2.centred_zpsbjacamm4.gif

Problem #1 is the wedge plate 2x2 I've used tons of in LBG don't seem to be available in LBG yet. I tried to use only available parts in the colours I selected, but missed that one. :hmpf_bad:

I'm pretty sure most of the rest is available as-built, though.

Problem #2 may be the strength of the SNOT connections to keep the nose section on... only building it IRL will prove that one out! :sceptic:

Anyhow, if there are any other B5 fans out there, I hope this makes you smile a bit. :sweet:

Edited by manglegrat

Never seen the show, but your MOC looks great!

Thanks, LegoPercyJ!

The show started in 1994 so it's probably older than a good % of the folks on this site. Makes me feel really old... *oh2*

Anyway, I just updated my post with a better front-view angle pic and a 360. This Bluerender stuff rocks!

Edited by manglegrat

Lookin' good! I like the Thunderbolt more than the Starfury. I even have a resin kit of the Thunderbolt, but I don't want to build it, until I can figure out a way to make the resin wings sag resistant. I really like your LEGO model, it looks great, inspires me to try one of my own.

I'm probably not going to do it in mini-fig scale, though, why did you scale yours for mini-figs? To fit in with the rest of the collection?

Lookin' good! I like the Thunderbolt more than the Starfury. I even have a resin kit of the Thunderbolt, but I don't want to build it, until I can figure out a way to make the resin wings sag resistant. I really like your LEGO model, it looks great, inspires me to try one of my own.

Hey, thanks! I also used pics of the Fantastic Plastic resin Thunderbolt as reference as well - the vanes are the same way round as mine on that. :classic:

I'd love to see yours when you get to it!

I'm probably not going to do it in mini-fig scale, though, why did you scale yours for mini-figs? To fit in with the rest of the collection?

Yeah, it was to make it match with the scale of a base-model StarFury that I built to Scott Peterson's design earlier this year. It's close but probably not 100% minifig scale - I haven't actually tried to fit a minifig into that one, either!

That design uses SNOT wings, and they are a little weak IRL at some of the joints between bricks (the weight of the engine pods is really pushing the clutch-power & I won't use glue). I did my version of that in LDD based on a file he sent me, but for some reason it won't render any images in Bluerender. Got it to work!

Starfury%20v2.3.centred_zpsbqc5sfe1.gif

I couldn't figure out how to get the different angles for the Thunderbolt wings by using fully SNOTted wings, so I stuck with plates. I had been stuck for ages trying to figure out what windshields would work, and was inspired to design this by finding the second windshield being used in a similar fashion in a recent MOC on EB somewhere (can't remember the thread, though :blush: ).

I've seen a few micro-scale B5 MOCs before (some great ones here on the BlueRender thread), but the daddy for me has to be the Omega Class Destroyer by Niko here. Someday I'll attempt that in LDD...

Edited by manglegrat

Great job on this. I've never seen the show, but your model looks awesome. Especially the windshield arrangement, I'm going to have to steal that.

Thanks. :blush: Steal away!

The rear one is only connected at the top/back, but with a 2-stud connection it should be OK as long as you don't swoosh your model too vigorously. :wink:

Though it seems I’m one of the few who are more a fan of the Mark I than the Thunderbolt. I really like this! That mark I is pretty good as well, but in comparison your thunderbolt seems to do a better job of capturing the angular shape and aggressive stance.

All you younkers who have no idea what we’re talking about would do your selves a favor by looking the series up and giving it a once through.

This “old” guy thanks you for sharing!

Though it seems I’m one of the few who are more a fan of the Mark I than the Thunderbolt. I really like this! That mark I is pretty good as well, but in comparison your thunderbolt seems to do a better job of capturing the angular shape and aggressive stance.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated! :classic:

Actually, I'm kinda like you in that regard too - that's why I went after the Mark I first, I just didn't post that when I finished it as it's just a MOD of someone else's MOC. I really liked the SNOT-ness of that design, and the grey/white scheme. I might give a plate-based design a go someday once I've learned more about MOCing...

All you younkers who have no idea what we’re talking about would do your selves a favor by looking the series up and giving it a once through.

Young whippersnappers! :tongue:

This “old” guy thanks you for sharing!

You're very welcome!